Sidecase Lid Angle

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcatrophy

Privileged to ride a 2018 FJR1300AS
Reaction score
When I first got my FJR, if I put lots of junk in my side case, when I opened it, it usually deposited its load all over the road because the lid opened too far.

(Click on any image for a larger view)

A very simple, 1 minute, no tools required, modification improves the angle significantly

How's it done?

Look at the retaining strap where it attaches to the lid:

Just loop the strap round the lower peg like this:

Job done!

(And apologies in advance if everybody except me knew all about this.)

Last edited by a moderator:
QUOTE (NightShine @ Jan 21 2009, 12:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Great idea, Mcatrophy! Bit perplexed about the "no tools required", though...

If you look at the fitting itself, the loop of the tape simply goes over the end of a peg. Perhaps these will show what I mean:

(Click on any image for a larger view)

I didn't realize that it was a problem, but the change in the angle is helpful. I just used my key to push the strap around the next post. Thanks, MC

This helped, I don't know why I hadn't thought of it. I usually just make sure it is on the center stand to deal with the left bag. Thanks

I didn't realize that it was a problem... Thanks, MC
But then, you Yanks get the inner bags to help keep your stuff tidy. We Limeys have to pay extra, and being a cheapskate :eh-smiley: , everything's loose in there.

Someties find the liners less than optimal. In fact I usually dont have them on the bike.. I use an E52 Givi for most of my riing

Now, when you set the bag on the floor or counter top at the motel or home, the lid won't stay open, right? We have never used the soft inner bags. They are cumbersome and take up too much room.

good of you to pass this along.

when I took delivery in August the dealer walked me through pretty detailed.

He set up the bag with full opening and then when we did the check he asked if I wanted it less open. He then showed me how to make the change and what it would be like. I kept it that way so it doesn't open a full 90 degree perpindicular from the side case. I thikn that was his preference, too.

It is a great help on the left side when the bike is on the side stand but we did both sides the same.

I assumed (yes, I know what that means) everyone knew this.

Did the same thing with my bags last year. It just eliminates one of those anoying little problems and Mama Yama provided the built-in solution! Also just used my key to wrap around the oher post.

I really like this idea. But I removed the bracket, put the sewed strap loop on the other post, then rewound the strap like your pics show. This made the retract angle the same as before, plus I could not get the strap past the lip on the post w/o removing the whole bracket. The key trick didn't work for my big arthritic fingers. Thanks a bunch.

I never considered looking at the post thingees, even after several spills of contents from the left bag. Thanks!!!

Damn.....(panic sets in).....I gotta check that out on me skoot. It's cold out there, though.....I may have to wait till noon or so.

Don't they offer liners for the solid bags anymore? :rolleyes:
As far as I know, liners are supplied with the hard bags in the US. Here in the UK they are not standard, but we can purchase them as an extra.

Of course, that means our bikes are lighter so faster than yours :unsure: .

I believe the UK gets the same detuned motors that the french get. Must suck being european. What ya payin' for gas nowadays?