MISSFIRE ON 06A NOW A MAJOR PROBLEM CAN ANYONE HELP PLEASE?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

feejer222

Reaction score
I have mentioned before that I have an 06A. It has had a 'cough' at the very first crack of the throttle since the first mile. There is not a problem after that point, but it causes the engine to cut out occasionaly when pulling away.

This is not a stall, it is on opening the throttle before the clutch has been released at all.

Also when revving the bike slowly, it missfires.

Once rolling the bike runs perfectly and has no other faults.

In an effort to cure it, the dealer has just changed the throttle position sensor. This made no difference. He also at the same time changed the CO's to 5. He set them at 5 himself after changing the TPS, I assume because he realised that the new TPS had not improved the problem.

He tells me that the standard setting is 12 and that the mechanic went out on the bike and changed the settings periodically until the problem improved.

I test rode the bike with the CO's at 5 and at 19. (We got to 19 having read on here that they should be plus 7 on standard??)

Neither setting made any difference whatsoever.

Is anyone else with an 06A having the same problem?

Can anyone help please?

Is your bike warmed up when it coughs when blipping the throttle or does it make a differance?

Mine coughed/stumbled too when blipping the throttle,... balancing the T-bodies helped.....they were in spec, but I got them closer and it made a difference. The enginge seems to be pretty sensitive to small changes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Correct me if I'm wrong but I THINK that changing the CO's as MaxSpeed described would be the equivalent of the Barbarian Jumper mod... only done by the dealer.

As to helping you out MS... not sure what to say. There are all kinds of real live motorheads on here. Bet they'll come up with an answers to your problem. Don't be amazed that your dealer hasn't cured your problem as of yet. Good Luck!

Heidi

Did he set it TO 5 for each cylinder or did he change the values by 5?
One would definitely hope that the dealer changed the values by 5, eh? When I did mine each cylinder value was different as set at the factory. I bumped all of mine by 3 points each cylinder & it made a HUGE difference... although, my problem wasn't as described. Mine was surging.

Is your bike warmed up when it coughs when blipping the throttle or does it make a differance?
Mine coughed/stumbled too when blipping the throttle,... balancing the T-bodies helped.....they were in spec, but I got them closer and it made a difference. The enginge seems to be pretty sensitive to small changes.
It only does it when warm, which to me says it's lean, as it doesnt do it when on choke & rich.

Did he set it TO 5 for each cylinder or did he change the values by 5?
He said that the standard setting was 12. His mechanic took the bike out and adjusted it while he was out, which led to it being set at 5.

I said that I had read on here to plus 7 all standard settings so we changed them all to 19 (12+7) which made no difference to the problem whatsoever.

I thought that the CO numbers were set for each cylinder from the factory(implies NO "standard" setting?), and that any adjustment made was to be from the original setting? I know I have read that settings were different for each cylinder from the factory, and could be different from bike to bike, too.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I THINK that changing the CO's as MaxSpeed described would be the equivalent of the Barbarian Jumper mod... only done by the dealer.
As to helping you out MS... not sure what to say. There are all kinds of real live motorheads on here. Bet they'll come up with an answers to your problem. Don't be amazed that your dealer hasn't cured your problem as of yet. Good Luck!

Heidi
Thanks Heidi....to be honest I really don't think he has a clue what to do. I would be happier if he was honest about it and didnt try and BS me.

I have been around bikes all my adult life and worked as a mechanic at GP level for 2 years (2 strokes only). So it really pisses me off when he tells me 'they all do that'.

I have a contact who works for last years British superstock winning team who use R1's he is trying to find me the right body to speak to at Yamaha.

I am sure that there is someone at Yamaha UK who knows all about this, it's just a matter of finding him/her.

Max Speed, where are you located? City and State?

Manchester UK....you know....the place where summer just means warmer rain!

Has he tried changing spark plugs?

Not to my knowledge....but then that would be too easy wouldn't it? :huh:

I might get involved in his workshop next time I go and insist that they come out if only to look at the colour.

Max Speed...my initial settings on my four cylinders were:

1. 5

2. 18

3. 18

4. 21

add 7 to all cylinders.you can do it yourself it's easy.

One more thing is the idle seed set to 1,100 RPM?

Ed.. :blink:

I'm experiencing the same thing...a stutter at any speed, in every gear, when going from completely off throttle to just on. Has anyone used a Dynojet Power Commander on their 06A? I read that this is one solution to this problem. Not inexpensive, though.

Mike..I don't know if it's available yet for the 06.

Ed.. :(

BTW.....if you're going to try balancing the T-bodies, balance them at 4-5k RPM, don't worry about the balance at idle unless it's idling poorly.

CO is set up at a relative setting. They typically are NOT all set to the same reading. Due to manufacturing variations each injector pumps different amounts for a like setting. As such, the factory sets each to pump the same amount before leaving the factory (which means the numerical reading on the display will have each at a different number). When changing CO settings from the display, you do not set them to the same values until you test with an EGA and install bungs in each header pipe to read the data before the collector or the cat/con. You increase the CO a relative number (ie: +5 or +7). That means each injector might start at 7 12 15 3 and you bump them up a like amount (+5 in this example) to 12 17 20 8.

Anyone doing this should know enough to record the factory values before making changes. That way you can restore the settings if needed.

If you shop jacked with them like you said (all to 5) and failed to record the original settings, then I'd sure be camping out on their doorstep to pay for a proper session with an EGA system that includes them covering the cost of installing the Rivnuts in the header pipes.

Did it get worse after the shop 'fixed' it? If they set them all the same, they had no idea what they were doing.

If they didn't write down the factory numbers then find a new shop and get them to set it up using an Exaust Gas Analyzer UNDER WARANTEE.

RUN, don't walk, to another dealer...

CO is set up at a relative setting. They typically are NOT all set to the same reading.
+1 But... the Gen II guys have been comparing notes, and most, if not all have the same settings. I agree with your take on how it all works. Dunno how all most all the Gen IIs could end up with the same settings unless Yamaha parts and labor got real good between '05 & '06.