Triple clamp from Heli

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pgrhodes1

Reaction score
Hi All,

Riding season is almost here so I'm at it again. I'm 5'4" tall and have short arms. I'm trying hard to master the yoda position; however, I would really like those bars closer. I have been looking at the triple clamp from Heli for my 08 but they are expensive. I don't mind coming up with the money if they REALLY make a difference. I don't know how 1 inch could matter all that much?? For the people who have these did you notice a BIG difference and would you buy again???

Thanks,

Penny

I bought a pair, love them. I'm 5'10" and had my elbows straight with the original bars. Easy to install, expensive yes but a fine piece of equipment.

Don't know if there are any other bars out there with a longer pull back. Would be nice if so but anything to help is worth it

Penny,

I think you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who is using the Heli triple clamp who doesn't think it's worth it's price. Keep in mind, without replacing cables, wires and brake lines, you're limited to how far you can bring those bars back. Bringing them back an inch really does make a difference; a bigger difference to some than others, but a positive difference nonetheless. Modifying your seat may also help. You can buy aftermarket seats that'll move you closer to the tank. You can also make mod's to your stock seat that might help too. Jon did one and documented it HERE. At 5'4", a lower seat height can't hurt and may even help make the reach for the bars more comfortable.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am 5'9" with long arms and wouldn't ride without heli. I can't have the pressure on my arms. I have the first version that set it back approx. 1 1/2". Later, I purchased the 3/4" risers when they became available. I thought the new version does both?

Hey Pennie, GO FOR IT! Lower your bike, lower your forks, and get that Heli clamp onthere! YOU'LL BE GLAD YOU DID!

i'M 5'6" with short arms and short inseam. Got my AE set up JUUUUUSST RIGHT! (lowered and bars UP)

Hi All,
Riding season is almost here so I'm at it again. I'm 5'4" tall and have short arms. I'm trying hard to master the yoda position; however, I would really like those bars closer. I have been looking at the triple clamp from Heli for my 08 but they are expensive. I don't mind coming up with the money if they REALLY make a difference. I don't know how 1 inch could matter all that much?? For the people who have these did you notice a BIG difference and would you buy again???

Thanks,

Penny

Ok, so having the heli clamp makes the bike more comfortable to ride. But does it take away from the sport side of the biket? I would think once you're sitting more upright and back, it would be harder to start getting aggressive with it.

Ok, so having the heli clamp makes the bike more comfortable to ride. But does it take away from the sport side of the biket? I would think once you're sitting more upright and back, it would be harder to start getting aggressive with it.
chocolate-cake-slice-3.jpg

So, ya want your cake AND ya wanna eat it???

Hey Penny, what Shawn said is right. My wife is 5'4" and has ridden my 07AE just once. It's to tall for her to feel comfortable so she has something else. I have the Heli and wouldn't go back for anything. Best part for me is I'm more upright if I want to be so it's easier for Sally to hold on. :rolleyes: I'd say get it and if you haven't had your ignition recall done, maybe it can be installed at the same time for free. Can't hurt to ask.

Damn! I went the cheap route and jus did the off set riser thing............. 1/4 the price with the same result.

I suppose I woulda felt better aboot meself if I'da spent four times the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Then agin, I mighta held off an anus Shave and sat 3/8ths of an inch higher in the saddle. :blink:

Don't be a sheep. Save six tanks of gas an do the riser bit.

:jester:

I'm good with the Heli...VERY GOOD!!!

I'm 6'4" and in good shape. With the stock TC I was in big pain in my

neck and shoulders in less than 30 minutes. I got the Heli TC and have

been perfectly comfy on 1000+ mile days. It made all the difference in

the world between hating the bike (being sorry I traded my old bike for

it) and loving it more than any other bike I've owned.

I'm not a knee dragger...but I do run fast and try to get some good

lean in. I don't think the Heli has terribly effected the sportiness.

I am 5'11" with a shorter 31" inseam and got the Russell seat, which pushes me a bit forward and up higher. Installed the Heli today when the dealer fixed the ignition recall, and already I can tell the differences from the ride home. Now the FJR feels like it fits me. Bike actually seems to handle better (be more responsive) and definitely noticed the lack of vibration compared to the stock clamp.

Looks the Heli is a winner.

Damn! I went the cheap route and jus did the off set riser thing............. 1/4 the price with the same result.
I suppose I woulda felt better aboot meself if I'da spent four times the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Then agin, I mighta held off an anus Shave and sat 3/8ths of an inch higher in the saddle. :blink:

Don't be a sheep. Save six tanks of gas an do the riser bit.

:jester:
Yep. Save the cash fer gas and do the risers.

The Heli was the best money I've spent on the bike. I was actually about to sell it before I got the Heli because of wrist/hand discomfort. With the Heli, love it.

It made all the difference in the world between hating the bike (being sorry I traded my old bike forit) and loving it more than any other bike I've owned.
Is that not one of the worst feelings in the world ... kind of like what the heck did I just do.

Like you, I've regretted a few trades over the years, but wound up happy with the FJR

Penny,

It doesn't matter what you ride. If you don't have a slight bend in the elbows and or are putting weight on your wrist, than you don't have the best posture to be able to control the bike. Plus you will be uncomfortable in a short period of time. I'm sure you will not regret buying the Heli!!

Hi All,

Thanks,

Penny