Loctite vs. nail polish

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

otrfjr

Don't tell Mom
Reaction score
Getting ready for the trip to Daytona/Bike Week, I noticed one of the screws on a saddle bag lock was missing. Checked the other 3, and sure enough, they were loose. As a stopgap, I used some of my wife's nail polish in place of loctite to secure the screws. Do those of you who have used nail polish as a thread adhesive have an idea about its life expectancy? And for the rest of you, yes, it really was my wife's nail polish.

Last edited by a moderator:
Getting ready for the trip to Daytona/Bike Week, I noticed one of the screws on a saddle bag lock was missing. Checked the other 3, and sure enough, they were loose. As a stopgap, I used some of my wife's nail polish in place of loctite to secure the screws. Do those of you who have used nail polish as a thread adhesive have an idea about its life expectancy? And for the rest of you, yes, it really was my wife's nail polish.
Keep an eye on here, a pretty bike sportin' nail polish! :wub:

Hey, if it keeps the fastener from backing out, who are we to judge.

Old dirt bikers used to use rubber cement and RTV.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was a young dirt biker when I used that stuff. Old dirt bikers use blue Locktite.

:)

The nail polish should last you long enough to buy some blue Locktite and repair it right. It won't hold up that long to the vibration and UV light. Mostly the UV.

I was a young dirt biker when I used that stuff. Old dirt bikers use blue Locktite.

:)

The nail polish should last you long enough to buy some blue Locktite and repair it right. It won't hold up that long to the vibration and UV light. Mostly the UV.
I was a 'young' dirt biker/motocrosser (in the 70's) and I used a torque wrench, they made those back then. ;)

James

Some aircraft companies use red nail polish, one line stripe connecting the screw head,washer to the surface or part screwed into. Easy way to visually tell if screw or bolt has loosened. Locktite works best for holding screws, bolts in place(duh). Torque Seal (Anti-Sabotage Lacquer-yellow, red or pink) is used for bolts that have been torqued. Not a bad idea for critical bolts like axle nuts.

If you're particular to red (nailpolish), then use the red Loctite. It'll last longer and you'll never have to worry about those screws loosening up again. Use blue Loctite if you think you'll ever want to take the screws out again -- it's removable. Red isn't as easy to undo -- if not impossible.

FJJ'sR

+1 to proper torquing, but with a thumper (KLR) in the house, there is always a need for LockTite.

Actually, red LockTite is made to remove with heat.

The red/yellow/white lines on aircraft hardware is NOT a threadlocker and definitely not fingernail polish. It's a bit waxy and it's just to tell if the fastener moved.