(edit) ECU Replacement on Canadian '06 & '07 FJRs

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fjrpro

Reaction score
Well I about to head down to the dealer to set a date for the ign recall. I never had the ecu recall done. My bike runs great 12k on the clock. I have never had a problem with surging or alt fueling....I live at 200 above sea level. Should I have the ecu recall done?

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I about to head down to the dealer to set a date for the ign recall. I never had the ecu recall done. My bike runs great 12k on the clock. I have never had a problem with surging or alt fueling....I live at 200 above sea level. Should I have the ecu recall done?

I was wondering the same thing, I have just over 5000 miles on mine and have been a high as 6500 ele. and never had a problem. But I'm going to drop it off this week for the 5000 service, ign,ecu,sync thottle bodies, take a little play outta the thottle that I have had since new.

I really debated on doing this service myself and just forgetting about the recalls, but then I thought what if something failed and myself or someone else got hurt because of it. Would I be liable because I did not get the recall done? Granted it's probably a long shot, BUT in this litagation happy society that we live in, maybe better safe than sorry.

Stan

I was wondering the same thing, I have just over 5000 miles on mine and have been a high as 6500 ele. and never had a problem. But I'm going to drop it off this week for the 5000 service, ign,ecu,sync thottle bodies, take a little play outta the thottle that I have had since new.

I really debated on doing this service myself and just forgetting about the recalls, but then I thought what if something failed and myself or someone else got hurt because of it. Would I be liable because I did not get the recall done? Granted it's probably a long shot, BUT in this litagation happy society that we live in, maybe better safe than sorry.

Stan
+1, but I had it done in the off chance I want to trade my 07 in for something newer, or (forbid) am forced to sell it. All recalls are getting done whether or not I'm having the specific issue.

Recalls are issued because of a potential safety issue -

You really don't want to discover if you need the updated ECU at the wrong time.

Get it done.

As a point of clarification, the ECU replacement program correcting the altitude surge affecting some '06 and most all '07 models was never, officially, a recall. It was simply a manufacturer-backed replacement under warranty program.

If you've owned your bike since new, you should have received a letter from Yamaha if your bike was identified as having one of the affected ECUs. If you didn't receive the letter, have not owned your Gen II since new and/or are not sure whether your bike has had the work done, simply call Yamaha customer service with the VIN number of your bike. They will be able to tell you 1) whether your bike qualifies to have the warranty replacement done, and 2) whether or not it has already been done. If you go to your dealer and tell them to replace the ECU and your bike wasn't included in the replacement program, you're going to be very unhappy with the bill they'll hand you when you go to pick up your bike.

Does anyone know if Yamaha Canada ever supported the ECU replacement? I asked my dealer about it last year when I bought my new '07. He said he called YC and they told him it wasn't an issue in Canada and said it was mainly a problem in California because of the different emission requirements.

Later on, when I experienced problems with surging and hesitation going over high mountain passes, the dealer said it was because the FJR doesn't adjust quickly enough to rapid changes in barometric pressure and he advised me to deal with it by disengaging the clutch, turn the kill switch off then on, start the engine and re-engage the clutch. This works fine but I am

left with the feeling that maybe YC just wants to avoid the problem rather than deal with it.

At the same time, I haven't heard any other Canadian riders complain about it so I don't know if I'm the only one having this problem.

Anyone got some information or opinions on this? Would be much appreciated.

It's up to you if you wanna take your bike in for the ECU recall BUT....... If you ever take your bike into a Yamaha dealer for any type of warranty work, they will punch your vin number in and tell you this:

"Mr. Daniels, there is a warranty recall for your ECU and we have ordered one for you and as soon as it is here we will install it on your bike". Don't ask me how I know that?

Does anyone know if Yamaha Canada ever supported the ECU replacement? I asked my dealer about it last year when I bought my new '07. He said he called YC and they told him it wasn't an issue in Canada and said it was mainly a problem in California because of the different emission requirements.
Later on, when I experienced problems with surging and hesitation going over high mountain passes, the dealer said it was because the FJR doesn't adjust quickly enough to rapid changes in barometric pressure and he advised me to deal with it by disengaging the clutch, turn the kill switch off then on, start the engine and re-engage the clutch. This works fine but I am

left with the feeling that maybe YC just wants to avoid the problem rather than deal with it.

At the same time, I haven't heard any other Canadian riders complain about it so I don't know if I'm the only one having this problem.

I was just in touch with Yamaha Canada customer relations today regarding this same issue and the ignition switch recall. The ignition switch recall is a go here in Canada. I'm going to dig deeper regarding the ECU issue. I have heard the same response from a local dealer though. This was about a year ago however so maybe they will know more now.

From P.E. Canada

I informed my dealer of the ecu situation a few weeks after it was official and gave him my vin. He called me back in an hour and said the new one was on it's way. He was even good enough to let me pick up the new one and drop off the old a week or so later. Only takes 10 mins to change out. I had never experienced the surging but didn't want to take a chance.

cheers

-Don

I've been out of the FJR forum loop for some time now...You said that you "informed your dealer of the ECU situation after it was official". Does that mean that it's an official recall here in Canada?

And, where is P.E. Canada?

I agree that if your bike is part of the VIN series that needs "the fix", Git-R-Done! Francisco (my 07 FJR) was almost unrideable at elevation in the CA Sierra Nevada where I regularly ride in the summer. The last thing you want to have happen while heeled over blasting a corner is the injection to lean out and sent you into "trouble".

My bike was smack-dab in the section of VINs that needed the new ECU, and it's all the better for the fix. My MPG was not appreciably different after the change-out.

Cheers,

biknflyfisher

From P.E. Canada
I informed my dealer of the ecu situation a few weeks after it was official and gave him my vin. He called me back in an hour and said the new one was on it's way. He was even good enough to let me pick up the new one and drop off the old a week or so later. Only takes 10 mins to change out. I had never experienced the surging but didn't want to take a chance.

cheers

-Don
I hope you're right, Don. I'm going to call my dealer tomorrow and see if Yamaha Canada has caught up with this.

Re Sockmonkey comment about getting a letter regarding the ECU, I did not receive it but when I went into the dealer they informed me and ordered the part. I bought it 12-07 and have wondered why they did not tell me about it when I bought it or fix it before delivery.

El Cajone your sympton definitely sounds like that described by others on this forum. If I were you I would inquire at your dealer or call Yamaha about it. JMO.

Re Sockmonkey comment about getting a letter regarding the ECU, I did not receive it but when I went into the dealer they informed me and ordered the part. I bought it 12-07 and have wondered why they did not tell me about it when I bought it or fix it before delivery.
El Cajone your sympton definitely sounds like that described by others on this forum. If I were you I would inquire at your dealer or call Yamaha about it. JMO.

I never recieved a letter but, when I got the ignition recall done the puter showed I am lacking the ECU update. That was two weeks ago, I better call the dealer and see whats up. They ordered me one, now this ECU is the actuall brain of the engine right?

I called my dealer in Vancouver today about the ECU replacement and he confirmed they had a bulletin about it from Yamaha Canada and my VIN was in the range due for replacement. So that's good news! Now I don't have to fool around with killing and restarting the engine at higher altitudes. I'm wondering though if the replacement would have happened if I hadn't initiated the call???

I'm thinking there are probably quite a few Canadian FJR owners that don't know about this yet so I think I'll post it up under a separate thread so it'll get more attention.

If you have a Canadian '06 or '07 FJR, there is a potential safety problem with some of the OEM ECUs causing engine surging and hesitation at higher altitudes. You should contact your dealer with your VIN and they can check it against a bulletin from Yamaha Canada to see if your ECU should be replaced.

This problem has been recognized in the US for awhile now but it seems Yamaha Canada is just catching up to it.

I've been out of the FJR forum loop for some time now...You said that you "informed your dealer of the ECU situation after it was official". Does that mean that it's an official recall here in Canada?
And, where is P.E. Canada?

Not official with regards to Me getting notice from Yam HQ Canada but i saw that my vin was within the range on the forum bulliten that was floating about at the time,.. Damn where is that thing...... Oh,.... probably in the bin of facts?

I kinda feel bad now, having not made it more noteworthy (here) that Canadian dealers had access to the notice.

Prince Edward Island, Canada "It's MY Island" -said of course with that stupid twisted grin of the Irish dude from the movie Braveheart.....

Cheers

-Don

If you have a Canadian '06 or '07 FJR, there is a potential safety problem with some of the OEM ECUs causing engine surging and hesitation at higher altitudes. You should contact your dealer with your VIN and they can check it against a bulletin from Yamaha Canada to see if your ECU should be replaced.
This problem has been recognized in the US for awhile now but it seems Yamaha Canada is just catching up to it.
I called my dealer when I read about the US replacement program last summer or fall and they looked it up and said I was covered. They ordered it and have been sitting on for ages as I have not got my bike in since. They called me on the ignition switch and now they can do them both at the same time! :)

Taking it in this weekend!