Subtle surging in first gear

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James Burleigh

Reaction score
Yeah, so when I'm riding in first with a steady throttle, the bike seems to surge ever so subtly, faster, slower. The tach seems to hold constant though. It's a feeling similar to if I were being buffeted by wind. In the other gears the same seems to happen, and I feel like its lost some of its brute acceleration.

When I had it serviced recently, including valve adjust and plugs, the tech told me they had to take out the carbon residue with a pick ax....

Could one of the cylinders be starved for fuel or air and not pulling its weight?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, so when I'm riding in first with a steady throttle, the bike seems to surge ever so subtly, faster, slower. The tach seems to hold constant though. It's a feeling similar to if I were being buffeted by wind. In the other gears the same seems to happen, and I feel like its lost some of its brute acceleration.
Hans,

NO, not the dreaded Gen I surge. Mine drove me abso-fricken-lutely bonkers for about 3 months. Some combination of several tanks of Seafoam-treated gas and the fifth or sixth attempt at cleaning the main electrical connector (link below) and then stuffing the connector full of dielectric grease (oh yeah, I'm due to do that again next oil change) cured the problem. Rad was convinced it was the connector and I'm inclined to believe him.

Linky https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s...onnector+silver

Oh yeah, you just did this https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s...=115994&hl=

Think running it dry let something plug up a key orifice?

NO, not the dreaded Gen I surge. Mine drove me abso-fricken-lutely bonkers for about 3 months. Some combination of several tanks of Seafoam-treated gas and the fifth or sixth attempt at cleaning the main electrical connector (link below) and then stuffing the connector full of dielectric grease (oh yeah, I'm due to do that again next oil change) cured the problem. Rad was convinced it was the connector and I'm inclined to believe him.
Linky https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s...onnector+silver
Patrick, I think you may have nailed it. I saw that thread awhile back and thought it had nothing to do with me. Now it looks like it was written for me, especially because the tech who recently worked on my bike talked about moisture and corrosion and shit like that.

So I'll get into that thread in more detail and see what's what.

Thanks,

Hans

Had the same problem not too long ago Hans. Mine was a combo of a defective air pressure sensor, and a pin problem in one of the wiring loom connectors. Engine light (orange) was coming on intermittently also.

Roseville Yamaha fixed me up - I wouldn't have known where to start !

Had the same problem not too long ago Hans. Mine was a combo of a defective air pressure sensor, and a pin problem in one of the wiring loom connectors. Engine light (orange) was coming on intermittently also.Roseville Yamaha fixed me up - I wouldn't have known where to start !
Thanks, Rog. I may take mine to Berkeley Yamaha instead of taking a wire brush to it myself... :huh:

When they clean things be sure to ask them to use dielectric grease. Since you live in the bay area where the ambient moisture content in the air is higher and ride year-round in inclement weather it would be a good preventative measure.