Anybody come from a BMW R1200RT to a FJR1300

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dasadab

Reaction score
Hi,

I have had 2 bikes in the past 8 years. First was a BMW R1150RT. Nice bike, great air management, quiet and nimble, but top heavy and not that much fun to ride around the streets of Los Angeles. I sold it and bought a BMW R1200GS, which I took on a trip to Northern Canada to North of the Arctic Circle. The GS is a great around bike and great on awful roads, but not so much fun for hours on the freeway or interstate. It's just okay touring, even with a good aftermarket windshield. I recently sold the GS and want to get another sport touring bike. The Honda doesn't appeal to me asthetically, the big Kawa is kinda Godzilla looking and I don't need the power (also the fit and finish is not so hot), so that leaves the BMW R1200RT and the FJR1300. I test drove the BMW K1250GT with its 150 hp, but did not really love it and it super expensive. Anyway, a new Beemer is 21k out the door and a new FJR1300 is 14,000 out the door (according to what I was just quoted without any bargaining). I am 6'1" and the FJR I sat on felt pretty nice with the seat set high, but I could have use another inch or two of leg room. For me a big factor is having a quiet smooth ride on the interstate. I figure either the Beemer of the FJR will need an aftermarket shield. Anyway, I am debating whether to look for a used RT or pull the trigger on the FJR. I wish Yamaha had a rental/test program at its dealers. Anyone go from RT to FJR? Thanks. Dean

For years my dream bike was the RT. I love the riding position, the lower center of gravity, and the ergonomics. Then I got on an FJR. You will probably have to "tweak" it a bit, but the power and the ride is second to none.

Period.

I have had 2 bikes in the past 8 years. First was a BMW R1150RT. Nice bike, great air management, quiet and nimble, but top heavy and not that much fun to ride around the streets of Los Angeles.
'jzzmusician': For years my dream bike was the RT. I love the riding position, the lower center of gravity,...
Top heavy -- low c.o.g.? Are we talking about the same (type of) bike...? :unsure:

I have had 2 bikes in the past 8 years. First was a BMW R1150RT. Nice bike, great air management, quiet and nimble, but top heavy and not that much fun to ride around the streets of Los Angeles.
'jzzmusician': For years my dream bike was the RT. I love the riding position, the lower center of gravity,...
Top heavy -- low c.o.g.? Are we talking about the same (type of) bike...? :unsure:
The RT went through a major design change in "05. Much lighter and lower c.o.g.

I had an RT before the FJR. Unfortunately mine was a lemon that had electrical gremlins that never went away after numerous lengthy stays in the shop. I liked the RT's looks a lot, and it was a nice ride when it ran, but it always felt a little prissy to me. The FJR's not perhaps as fancy, but it definitely is a better performer in general for me.

Anyway, I am debating whether to look for a used RT or pull the trigger on the FJR. I wish Yamaha had a rental/test program at its dealers. Anyone go from RT to FJR? Thanks. Dean
I think that I do not fully understand. You are comparing a used BMW to a brand new FJR? Is that to equalize the prices?

Can you get 5 years of factory warranty for the used BMW (I don't know)? I know you can for the FJR for about $350 if it is less thean 1 year old. In fact, why not consider buying one of the many used 1 or 2 year old FJR's on the market as a 3rd alternative? Many of those will come with transferable 5 year YES warranties.

But, for your stated intended purpose of smooth highway riding, the FJR is head and shoulders above any boxer twin.

When it's time to pass that semi, the power plant on the other end of the twist grip makes all the difference. ;) You should be able to arrange for a FJR test ride at a dealership. It does vary by dealership, but they are out there. Once you actually ride one, you will only wonder one thing: "Why did I wait so long!"

My wife is very interested pillon comfort. She is especially interested in a comfortable seat and good wind protection without buffeting. I am 6-1" 190lbs, she is 5-4" 130. Anybody ride two up for long distances?

To answer the prior post, I was comparing a used RT to a new FJR to equalize the price. A new RT is about %25 more expensive. I know that the boxer is not as fast, but it is still not a dog at passing. I owned one. The boxer engine does have more vibration for sure, but I never found the vibration to be excessive. I am leaning towards a new FJR, I just want to hear some more comments from folks who have experience with both bikes, especially two up.

I haven't had the 1200RT, but like you I had an 1150RT and just sold my 1200GS and bought an '09 FJR. My experience with the GS is exactly as you described - great bike, but not a great highway bike. I don't enjoy the relentless BMW maintenance regime. By the time the FJR hits its first valve adjustment, the Beemer will require five. I also expect some BMW dealers are going to go tits up in this economy and they're already spread thin. I don't want to have a $20k boat anchor parked in my garage. Between the Concours and the FJR, I liked the power of the Concours, but don't want to deal with the complexity (KIPASS, VVT) and the heat issues are yet to be worked out. With the current rebates, I think you can buy an ABS Concours for less than an FJR. I picked my FJR up last Friday for $12,900 plus license and title and I'm satisfied with that. I would bet you can buy an '09 ABS Concours for $12,500 +L/T. I don't miss the BMW logo in my garage.

After the first 400 miles on the FJR, my impressions are that its smooth with a very linear power band - no kick in the pants, just a steady build to redline. Stock windshield does not provide adequate wind protection for me. I'm just a hair under 6' and I can't find a sweet spot with the stock screen. Cee Bailey's +3w, +2h w/flip has been shipped, so I hope that does the trick. However, my wife doesn't have an issue with buffeting. On my BMW's, I always rode with the seat in the high position for the leg room. I rode the first 350 miles with the FJR seat in the high position - pain city! All the weight was on my butt bones and it was uncomfortable within 20 miles. I switched to the low position and it made a world of difference. It rotated my butt back off the bones and I think I'll be just fine with the stock seat.

I've also had an ST1300. The ST is a nice bike - very comfortable, great wind protection, very functional - just not very exciting. However, probably the best bike for a passenger. Everything is a trade-off - you have to pick what you're willing to put up with.

Thanks. I sat on a Honda,for me at 6-1, it felt cramped, but that may not be right. Just a quick first impression. Also, the Honda, as I recall is heavier. I was happy to let the GS go, even though for its purpose--dual sporting--its really outstanding. I think I am just getting a little less impressed with the BMW thing and particularly the cost. Thanks again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well i can't help as far as the Beemer because I never owned one. But i do do a lot of 2up riding. The wife and i have done several over 500 to 600 mile days on the stock seat. For me its not that bad but by the end of the day she can get a little soar. Nothing that bad though. I purchased a slightly used Yamaha upgraded comfort seat. It seems to be better for her but for me its not worth the money. I think i like the original stock seat better.

There is a lot of after market products to personalize your feejer just about any way you want it. Foot lowering pegs, Russel seats, taller wind screens and just about anything you can think of. JMO buy the FJR and customize away to you get it just right. I don't think it's that bad out of the box myself.

Good luck on your choice. I know I made the right one. :yahoo:

Mywife and Iride all the time. I am 6'4.5" and she is about 5'4". I bought custom seats 3 years ago and installed a new aftermarket shock 2 years ago. These are the things you do when you own a 03. We have riden home from Marths's Vineyard more than once and she never complains or wants to get off. SHe has asked in the past if we can go to places like Washington DC on the bike a 5 to 6 hour trip. So I hope this answers your questions.

I owned and rode a 99 r1100rtp, rode my friends r1200rt and will ride the new rt he just got in the next couple of weeks.

The beemer is what made me decide to get the FJR. After riding both, here are my observations.

I am 6'3" and 210 lbs my spouse is 5'6" and 145lbs .

The beemer has a little more leg room, add elf pegs and you have a couple of riding positions (fjr has the option also)

Both the bmw and fjr need aftermarket windshields the beemer provides a little more protection at the shoulders than the FJR My cee bailey +4 h +2 w w flip solved this.

Power delivery both roll on excelleration for passing as well as highway maneuvers go to the fjr, its oodles above the bmw

both have shaft drive (dont know if the final drive problem has been fixed or exists with the bmw) so low maintanence

both will do 100,000 miles with ok service.

there are far more Yamaha dealers in n america than bmw dealers so parts are easier to come by in a pinch (like lunching a rim on a curb)

both could use aftermarket seats but both are height adjustable now. Wife likes the seat for at least the 400 mile days we have done so far (on the stock seat)

both have heated handgrips

BOTTOM LINE the FJR will do everything that the bmw will do and will cruise better. the fjr costs a little over half what the bmw runs and is easier to maintain both by filter location and availability of parts, the money savings will allow you to get the 5 year warranty and all the farkles for less than the cost of the beemer and will last as long.

WHAT YOU DONT GET : you dont get BMW prestige or resale value, but by % of cost to loss you still win with the fjr

Hope this helps

I had a '05 R1200RT. It had/has lots of power. My issue is that I'm 6'3" but more upper body. The bike is already tall and I couldn't find an aftermarket windshield that would work without the "barn door" affect on handling. Also, the seating area caused a lot of pain to "the boys", even after getting a Day-Long seat. So, the bike was a bad fit FOR ME. These issue crept up on me because I took the RT on at least 4 test rides and didn't notice any issues, other than wind noise. I was very happy for awhile. But then.... :( However, I never had an issue passing any one on the street or highways; It moves!

I now have the '08 FJR with a Rifle w/s and Day-Long seat and have no compliants at all in comfort, power or handling.

HTH,

Rich

Having owned an RT and 3 FJR's it would be my opinion there is on contest between the two bikes for a number of reasons. Unless a person finds a personal reason to own BMW the FJR is much more bike for a lot less money and dealers are in most every town should you need service.

dasadab, i don't know where you are but if your near me you and your wife can take my bike for a spin. few hours half day whatever. be prepared to end your association with the Nazi's though. not that i am against BMW. i have owned two and something inside me wants another but every time i ride a new one it never stacks up. my R6 was quirky and required a lot of TLC but it had character and had it not been stolen i would still own it.

My wife is very interested pillon comfort. She is especially interested in a comfortable seat and good wind protection without buffeting. I am 6-1" 190lbs, she is 5-4" 130. Anybody ride two up for long distances?
To answer the prior post, I was comparing a used RT to a new FJR to equalize the price. A new RT is about %25 more expensive. I know that the boxer is not as fast, but it is still not a dog at passing. I owned one. The boxer engine does have more vibration for sure, but I never found the vibration to be excessive. I am leaning towards a new FJR, I just want to hear some more comments from folks who have experience with both bikes, especially two up.
I do 99.9% of my riding two up both my wife and I swaer by the FriJ for comfort . Theres plenty of room to move around if need be .

I am 6 foot + and she is around 5 ft 6

The FriJ is a much better option than the others .

I traded in an '04 RT for my '08 AE, purely for the auto clutch/shift due to a left hand problem. I put on a dif seat & windscreen on the RT, and that was it. No problems, good since the nearest dealer was 115 miles away. And certainly NOT top heavy, the low COG was a buying point when I 'flicked' it around a dead skunk in the road. Great horns!!

My FJR is a piece of shit! New yam seat, Rifle screen, like both, but the engineering on this bike sucks. I can't change tail light bulbs, the wires are too short as are most of other wires. Disconnected the screen retract, that was a stupid Yam idea. Needed bar backs and Grip Puppies for the right hand (a common FJR problem). And now with 282 miles on it, took it back to the dealer 46 miles away due to the AE computer took a dump. Piss poor horns. Faster than my RT, but I'm 63, don't give a shit.

I test rode a new '06 RT back then, much better than my '04. If the RT had an AE model, I would have bought it no matter the cost!! Never again another Yam.!!

My FJR is a piece of shit! New yam seat, Rifle screen, like both, but the engineering on this bike sucks. I can't change tail light bulbs, the wires are too short as are most of other wires. Disconnected the screen retract, that was a stupid Yam idea. Needed bar backs and Grip Puppies for the right hand (a common FJR problem). And now with 282 miles on it, took it back to the dealer 46 miles away due to the AE computer took a dump. Piss poor horns. Faster than my RT, but I'm 63, don't give a shit.
I test rode a new '06 RT back then, much better than my '04. If the RT had an AE model, I would have bought it no matter the cost!! Never again another Yam.!!
Wow, are you serious or just a troll?

The fact that you felt that YOU felt that you needed bar backs and grip puppies is not a design problem with the FJR problem. It's a problem with YOU fitting it. You have to expect to make some minor ergo modifications on just about any bike to customize it to your unique body shape.

And I'm not sure what your malfunction is that you can't change a light bulb. You say the wires are too short. Too short for what? I guarantee you can reach into the tail section and change the bulbs. It may not be convenient, but it can definitely be done.

I can see where some other people might want to have an auto retract to pull the shield down automatically when parked. But the screen retract feature is not my cup of tea either, so I took 10 minutes and pulled the jumper off. To my thinking, Yamaha design engineers outdid themselves by providing a disable jumper. That added (something) to their cost of manufacturing the bike that is purely a convenience.

Don't know what your problem with the YCCS module was, or even if there actually was one. Sometimes stuff happens during manufacture of an item as complex as a motorcycle. That is one big reason they have warranties.

But to label a bike as "piss poor" based on the ticky tack, bullshit crap you listed out makes me think that you should have stuck to the BMWs.

..and Fred W., if someone would give me what I paid for it, I would gladly sell it to them. Yes, bar backs & grip puppies were needed and I expected that. But the wires on the rear bulbs are SOOO short, I can't get the bulbs out of the lens assy!! I kid U not. I tried all 4. Every wire I have had to work on is too short, there is barely room to slice in the accessory connectors. 7 screws to hold on the left side case !??, it only needs 3 (my 1st Honda didn't have any!!). Plus both side case upper panel tabs are 'under' the tank & rear end body work, that's just plain stupid-not to mention hazardous to removing the side panels in 1 piece.

This bike is great to ride, but a real cluster F--- to work on, no matter where I have had to work on it. The thousands of plastic pull screws are another pain, not standardize &, easily lost. I have a box full of parts (screws, bolts, brackets) off this bike that it doesn't needed.

10 minutes for the w/s retract?? Maybe on yours, it took me 6 tries x 10 to find it, took me ten to write the several posts just to find it. All the pics I saw didn't look like my bike.

As far as the YCCC module, I hit the start button and all I get is a flashing yellow light + SHIFt that blinks & tones. No start, no nothing, but everything else works. So when they fix it, they will do the ignition recall too, and with only 282 miles on it. What's next??