Shaft Oil

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bellman

Reaction score
No one told me the drive shaft oil was so expensive. Got over the price, opened it up this afternoon to change it and there was no foil seal on the bottle. I look again and it has a collar with tabs like a soda bottle. Somebody opened it at the dealer.

Dealer is closed! The stuff smells funny, not like oil but maybe a sulfur smell. The old I drained out does not have the same odor. Anbody know what this stuff smells like ( damn glad it's not Friday).

Help - having withdraw, have to ride tomorrow. Bike only has 466 miles on it!

Rear drive (hypoid gear) lube has an extreme pressure additive (used to be lead-napthanate -- but, we can't use that anymore) that is very aromatic.

The FJR's rear drive has proven extremely durable -- decades of Yamaha rear-drive success, really.

You can use other hypoid gear lube -- if you want to return the doubtful stuff to the dealer. Look for the viscosity specifications in you owners manual.

I suspect most automotive gear lubes (especially major brands) are of high quality.

Go to your local parts store and get something like the valvoline synthetic gear oil fill it up and ride. The factory stuff is spendy and am not saying not to use it but if it was opened I wouldn't. I have used the valvoline for every change since new with no issues.

No one told me the drive shaft oil was so expensive. Got over the price, opened it up this afternoon to change it and there was no foil seal on the bottle. I look again and it has a collar with tabs like a soda bottle. Somebody opened it at the dealer.
Dealer is closed! The stuff smells funny, not like oil but maybe a sulfur smell. The old I drained out does not have the same odor. Anbody know what this stuff smells like ( damn glad it's not Friday).

Help - having withdraw, have to ride tomorrow. Bike only has 466 miles on it!

No worries. Went down to the garage and opened my 2 yr old bottle of well aged, yet unfinished, Yamaha Golden Whale jizz - no foil seal over bottle, just a white gasket seal under the cap and the black cap tabs to shear. Smells like any rear end oil with stinky extreme pressure additives (phosphorus compounds I think). Any good 80W-90 GL4/5 will work. Lots of info and opinions on the Yamaha and other stuff here. Mainly it's foam resistant with secret ingredients, maybe some synthetic. The night shift formulating crew takes turns whizzing used beer into the mixing tank is my bet.

Edit: I've also used Mobil 1 and Valvoline Synthetics in the past in the FJR and my other vehicles in cold WX - good stuff.

Add and enjoy!

Gary in Fairbanks

Last edited by a moderator:
I just use good old SAE 80w-90 gear oil. No issues, no leaks, no nothing, works like a champ! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
What others have said, any good 80-90w gear lube will work, and they all smell.

gear.jpg

Will work just fine and you can find it at Wally World or any Auto parts place.

Ya know, just because I enjoy an occasional foray with Sheep it doesn't make it right for ya to assume I'd do that for free.. :blink:

I have morals ya know.

Hows that sea cow thing goin' for ya Howie?

:jester:

Ya know, just because I enjoy an occasional foray with Sheep it doesn't make it right for ya to assume I'd do that for free.. :blink: I have morals ya know.

Hows that sea cow thing goin' for ya Howie?

:jester:
Missus Howie ever hear you call her a Sea Cow, she's gonna give you a matching conk on the other side of yer melon. :)