07 AE Air Filter Removal Help

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gjn

Reaction score
The 07 auto is a great ride, have been riding a 02 warrior for several years and there is no comparision to the FJR. I changed oil and differental fluid and am having trouble getting the air filter cover out from behind the shift servo unit. Any suggestions on getting the cover out from behind the shift unit?

Thanks for the help GJN

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you sure that you have the right place for the air filter, my 07 , other than some tight cable wires comes out easy.

Mac

gjn, I have a good friend with an AE and as I understand it, it's necessary to remove some of the electric shift components to free up the air filter.

You have to unhook one end of the rod that connects the 2 shift components. And then remove that part of the shift mech. that is in the way. I usually disconnect the 2 wire plug from the unit and it hangs out of the way better. Don't even bother trying to get the cover off without making room. The second cover underneath won't come out after anyway you'll wind up breaking something.

Are you sure that you have the right place for the air filter, my 07 , other than some tight cable wires comes out easy.
Mac

that's beause you don't have an AE model ....

Thanks Daily I'll give it a try...

Greg

You have to unhook one end of the rod that connects the 2 shift components. And then remove that part of the shift mech. that is in the way. I usually disconnect the 2 wire plug from the unit and it hangs out of the way better. Don't even bother trying to get the cover off without making room. The second cover underneath won't come out after anyway you'll wind up breaking something.

Mac

Thanks Daily I'll give it a try...
Greg

Mac

I am about to change/blow out the air filter on my AE. How did this work for you? Break anything? Any tips?

-Sirby

i just finnished mine this week. as aready stated you have to get everything out of the way. but for me replacing the cover was much harder. there is a wire coming down from the seat that went under the air cover that made it very hard to replace.

i just finnished mine this week. as aready stated you have to get everything out of the way. but for me replacing the cover was much harder. there is a wire coming down from the seat that went under the air cover that made it very hard to replace.
That wire is a pain in the ass. I am messing with replacing the cover now. Just doesn't seem right getting pinched like that. Even tried to reroute it where you'd think it should go but after an hour or so rabbit chase the plug won't make it undert the basket that holds the seat.

So that wire just gets pinched by the air filter cover near the top? That's how I remember it.

Consulting service manual, but I don't think it will help me.

I did mine a while back and it was hard to do. Not going to do that very often!!!!!

2 people helps!!!!!

Just take your time and you can get it. I wish I could give you "the secret" but I don't have it!!!!