Does the FJR1300 make a good daily commuter?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sportsguy

searchgeek - author
Reaction score
Did some searching, and have a decent feel for this topic, but wanted to ask it out loud.

Can those who commute comment on the usability of the FJR1300 as a daily commuter?

I'm located in Redmond, WA (think Seattle, then nudge the pin north-ish), so rain is, let's say, "possible"... ;)

I'm thinking in terms of comfort (call it a 20 mile one way trip, worst case), wind/rain management (I ride with the proper gear, so wondering what the bike adds to the equation in terms of wind/rain management.

Thanks

duane

HELL YES!!!

I did not have a car until last week.. and it snows here.. Taller shield for the cold season.. and GO!!

I commute daily with a 110 mile round trip. Only time I do not ride is if there is snow or ice on the ground, but otherwise the FJR does the job.

Lately, it's been warm on the way to work, but thunderstorms and heavy rain on the way home. Rain gear fits easily in either of the side bags, lunch box in the other, and laptop in the trunk. Works just fine.

I did install a set of the Euro footshields which are a great help at keeping my feet warm and dry, and a V-Stream windshield protects the rest of me, but otherwise no modifications to deal with weather.

Now I have installed some mods to deal with the commuting part: High-Viz jacket, brake light modulator, and a set of air horns.

Cagers seem to be worse on their way to work, often eating breakfast, shaving, reading newspapers, applying make-up, (ladies too!), and yakking on the cellphone etc., all whilst driving.

The daily grind of this routine, really makes me appreciate the weekends when I can avoid the highways and get out on the country roads and have fun, but the Feej handles both tasks admirably.

I commute daily, year round as long as there's no snow/ice on the road. 64 mile round trip into DC and the FJR works well. Put a rack and trunk and usually have the side bags off. Trunk has a brake light and I added a flasher module. Loud horns with a harness are a must.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure.... I've been commuting on mine for about two years now... still deciding. :lol:

The longer the commute, the more fun it is. ;)

I have been only commuting on this bike, 2007A, for the last year and 20,000 miles. I was commuting 25 miles each way in moderate to heavy traffic. Now I am down to 20 miles each way and I am on much Granted I am in California, the land of lane splitting, but the FJR has been a near perfect commuter bike, especially if you carry a lot of crap. If you just haul yourself to and from the job then I would highly recommend an FZ6. Much lighter, much more narrow and a much more moderate throttle when your in tight quarters.

You wont go wrong with the FJR.

I live in Mount Vernon and commute to Everett every day (that we aren't underway). It's just under 40 miles each way. I do have a Rick Mayer seat and V-Strom handguards but still have the stock '03 shield and no risers. I ride in everything but snow/ice. That being said, I am wanting to get some "handlebar mittens" for temps below 35.

As far as distance, it is easily comfortable for much, much farther.

The thing about commuting in Seattle is it gets a little dicey between October and February. The reason is it's usually pretty dark during commute hours. With the darkness and the rain your visibility to cagers goes way down and ability to maneuver is also decreased. Of course that applies to any bike you might ride. The FJR commutes just fine.

+1 on the dark Days a big issue to consider. Side case rear reflectors, added lights, Hi Viz vest etc. I go these days from Sammamish to Snohomish and back daily. When at MSFT a couple years ago I did the same on another bike. The FJR is great as a commuter. I only drove the Blazer when we had snow or a chance of ice and the dreaded black ice. I did get into a serious hailstorm on the FJR and it did well , but I did seek a refuge , about 10 miles traveled. I would add a 1 piece suit or similar and rain suit ( The FJR kept most of the rain off while moving) and stay off the back roads if possible due to animals. I am sure most riders know it but I will mention it anyway, most animals freeze if blinded by lights. Several times I had possums and deer freeze in the road and on the sides due to light.

absolutely! I've got 1/2 a dozen bikes and the FJR is the one I use to commute. It's weather protection is almost as good as my gold wing, it's still fast enough to be fun, it looks great, and has ample storage capacity.

the only real complaint I have is that theres no OEM electronics option which I think is a huge mistake for Yamaha.

I ride fifty miles a day round trip on my commute. My sister lives in Seattle, and we have "rain-off" competitions between there and here in Richmond, VA. It rains more frequently out where you are, but more by volume and intensity here. For example, I've only owned the FJR for ten days and I've ridding in the rain eight times during three of those days.

The FJR gives me great protection against the rain, especially with the screen at full height. I have a taller windscreen (CalSci) that I haven't used yet because it's too hot for it right now. Come fall and winter time I think it will provide even better protection from the elements.

A previous posted mentioned the FZ6 as a rainy day commuter. I have had one for almost four years and it's a great bike. However, it doesn't come close to the FJR in terms of element protection nor stability in rainy plus windy conditions. The FZ6 is just a little too light for gnarlier stuff, in my opinion.

Not that I had any doubts, but it is good to hear so many of you enjoy commuting on the FJR. I rode my Seca II for 9 out of 12 months here in Phoenix, but I'm planning to ride the Feej year round. 70 miles roundtrip daily for me. Just counting the days til my new bike arrives!

Mike

Not that I had any doubts, but it is good to hear so many of you enjoy commuting on the FJR. I rode my Seca II for 9 out of 12 months here in Phoenix, but I'm planning to ride the Feej year round. 70 miles roundtrip daily for me. Just counting the days til my new bike arrives!
Mike
Hey please let me know what you think about the engine heat out there in Phoenix. I have a lot of relatives that live there and in Scottsdale and a good friend in Chandler. I have considered riding out there from Virginia (out of the frying pan and into the fire!) and am curious how you fare come summer time.

The FJR of course is an excellent commuter. I ride year round as long as road conditions permit (no ice or freezing rain.) As far as riding in the heat, anything over 90F on any 1300cc bike is going to feel hot. The only complaint commuting with the FJR is certain times of year the sun reflects off the silver instrument panel, an annoyance, and probably why the '08s and later are now black.

I live in Auburn and Ride 18 miles to South Seattle. I use it for Commting and have so since 2005. I do ride daily and with a HiViz Vest. Even during the worst weather I had more fun than driving a cage.....

Latest posts