Blue threadlocker. How long until it dries?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sportsguy

searchgeek - author
Reaction score
Thinking of installing my sliders today since the dealer offered to screw them in (and screws me, too) for 1.5 hours labor (about $150).

So, obviously I'll be threadlocking those bolts with blue, but I'm wondering if I need to wait a while for the threadlocker to dry/cure before riding. I don't have the tl handy or I'd read the directions. I know, I know. "Read the directions!". Sometimes you just need too.

I'm pretty sure if you intend to tighten them more than hand tight, that it'd be setting up long before they start to unwind.

Heat speeds the cure, so I'd ride it right away if I wanted to ride.

Not sure about the blue, but with the red don't stop screwing when it's halfway in or you might not make it all the way in..

...I'm wondering if I need to wait a while for the threadlocker to dry/cure before riding.
Anaerobick thread locker (Loc-Tite and others) is anaeorbic -- without air -- it does its thing when the fasteners are assembled and air or drying isn't a consideration.

It acheives maximum strength after a 24 hour cure-time. Cure-time can be hurried by using an anaerobic primer.

I keep seeing references to thread-locker on these, but this is an engine mount bolt, with a torque spec. Is it supposed to be Loc-tited? I would think not.

Unless we're talking about sliders that mount on brackets, like those kits for Gen-I bikes, but this post is about a 2009.

Last edited by a moderator:
...I'm wondering if I need to wait a while for the threadlocker to dry/cure before riding.
Anaerobick thread locker (Loc-Tite and others) is anaeorbic -- without air -- it does its thing when the fasteners are assembled and air or drying isn't a consideration.

It acheives maximum strength after a 24 hour cure-time. Cure-time can be hurried by using an anaerobic primer.
Wow, three different spellings of anaerobic in the same post! :rolleyes: ;)

Mike

I keep seeing references to thread-locker on these, but this is an engine mount bolt, with a torque spec. Is it supposed to be Loc-tited? I would think not.Unless we're talking about sliders that mount on brackets, like those kits for Gen-I bikes, but this post is about a 2009.
I have OES sliders, and they specifically advise against using threadlocker. So I just torqued them to 35 lb-ft,and they haven't fallen off yet. The addition of anything to the threads of a nut or bolt--oil,grease,threadlocker--will affect the actual torque applied.

Mike

I keep seeing references to thread-locker on these, but this is an engine mount bolt, with a torque spec. Is it supposed to be Loc-tited? I would think not.
You're probably right....

Thread-locker should be used sparingly and not indescriminately (I speak from experience.. :( )

Probably the best advice is to follow the manual (FSM) on where, and what color (strength), to use -- or, in this case, after-market accessory mounting instructions? :unsure:

Last edited by a moderator:
I have OES sliders, and they specifically advise against using threadlocker. So I just torqued them to 35 lb-ft,and they haven't fallen off yet. The addition of anything to the threads of a nut or bolt--oil,grease,threadlocker--will affect the actual torque applied. Mike
WHOA! Glad I posted this thread. I must have missed the directions from OES to NOT use thread locker.

Big thanks to Mike for saying this out loud and mentioning the sliders by brand name.

Given I have OES sliders, too, it appears I'll simply torque them to 35 and be done with it; though followup checks won't hurt. ;)