Power Command or others

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Depends how much you're willing to spend, how much you like to tinker with stuff and how accurately you want your bike tuned.

Techlusion:

• Cheaper.
  • No "maps"; you just twist knobs to make adjustments to low, mid and high RPM fuelling.
  • Not very precise, because you're making adjustments to entire large ranges of throttle position and RPMs.
  • You'll probably need dyno tuning, or a portable AFR guage to get it adjusted well for your bike, unless you're comfortable with just adjusting it until it "feels" good.
  • Plugs into factory connectors on the bike.

Power Commander III:

• A little more expensive.
  • Probably the most widely used, and tuning shops have software to tune it easily.
  • Comes pre-mapped for a stock bike.
  • If you make changes to your bike, you can be cheap and try to find an existing map that is "close enough" for your bike.
  • Usually costs (additional to cost of the unit) about $300 to get it completely custom tuned for your bike. If you go with custom tuning, you would need it re-tuned if you make changes to the intake/exhaust, etc.
  • Probably not something you would want to manually adjust; it really needs to be properly tuned, or loaded with a map that was tuned for a nearly identical bike.

Power Commander V:

• Similar to the PCIII (I believe the price isn't much more either).
  • Supports an optional (additional cost) AutoTune module that uses an oxygen sensor in your exhaust to continuously custom tune itself based on a map of desired AFR values. If you get this, you can easily tweak your tuning in terms of AFR to adjust your balance of smoothness/power and fuel efficiency at various throttle positions and RPMs. If you change exhaust/intake, it will automatically adjust itself. No custom dyno tuning necessary.
  • Cost of the PCV + AutoTune is probably similar to the cost of a PCIII + custom dyno tuning. PCV + AutoTune really becomes a savings if you decide to do something like swap out exhaust in the future.
  • Even if you never modify your bike, PCV + AutoTune will be better than PCIII + custom dyno tuning because the PCV + AutoTune is continuously custom tuning itself to match current conditions (seasonal changes, dirtying of air filter, wearing of engine parts, etc).
  • No data logging included, so that makes it a bit difficult to decide which parts of the map to adjust for cruising, etc. (There may be an additional "module" you can add to get data logging; I haven't looked into it).

Motty AFR Tuner:

• Like a Power Commander V + AutoTune + data logger all in one box. Data logger is a great tool for pinpointing what parts of the map you use in different situations (cruising, light acceleration, etc.), so you can make informed decisions about how to adjust the AFR targets throughout the map.
  • Similar to the cost of a PCIII + custom dyno tuning.
  • No factory connector support; you must strip/solder wires.
  • Higher resolution maps than the Power Commander, especially at low throttle positions; makes the tuning more precise.
  • Made by a guy in Hungary who supports his product very well through e-mail, but most people and tuning shops have never heard of it, so you're kinda on your own.

I forgot about Bazzaz.

There is also a unit called Bazzaz that supports an optional module like PCV's AutoTune, but it is much more limited (unless they have introduced a new product since I looked at it). The Bazzaz can only be configured to target a single AFR value across the entire map, where the PCV and Motty have a map of AFR values the same size as the fuel map (every combination of throttle position and RPMs can have a different AFR target).

The Bazzaz does not actually make the changes to the fuel map as you ride. Instead it collects data and generates suggestions that you must download with a computer and manually apply them to your map.

The Motty actually makes the changes to the map (temporarily) as you ride. If you use the kill switch to stop the engine, the Motty will save the temporary changes to the map, so you're always starting with the tuning results from the previous ride. If you stop the engine by turning the key in the ignition, you lose the temporary changes from that ride.

The PCV + AutoTune also makes changes to the map as you ride. I can't find a definitive answer on whether you need to hook up to a computer to "accept" the AutoTune changes on the PCV, if the changes are always saved without a choice on your part, or if you have the option of saving the results from the bike like the Motty.

Thank you very much for your time explaining the options and choices I have. I will read though the well written information you have provided me several times to make a a proper decision. Once again thanks for the great info.

The Wally Smoothnes map sounds like what I am looking for without trying it. Would this be an additional normal cost to the unit you spoke of "maping and tuning". And is the PC3 the only one with this type of available maping.

Correct me if I am wrong. But can the Power Command V only be used on later model FJR's I have an 05.
oops; didn't notice that. the PCV will only work with 2006+ FJRs (they only officially support 2009+ models, but it should work on all Gen II bikes).

The Wally Smoothnes map sounds like what I am looking for without trying it. Would this be an additional normal cost to the unit you spoke of "maping and tuning". And is the PC3 the only one with this type of available maping.

The "Wally Smoothness" map is a PCIII map that you can find for free (along with info about it) here: https://www.fjr1300.info/misc/PC-III.html

That map was actually tuned for a bike with aftermarket exhaust. There's a link at the end of that page to a similar map that was tuned for a stock FJR.

Sweet! My calculated maps are linked at the bottom of that page now too. I feel special :)

Anyway... yes, the Wally Smoothness map and its derivatives are only for the PCIII, but could probably be easily converted to work with the PCV. I wouldn't say it's "the only one with this type of available mapping", because someone could custom tune another device (Motty or Bazzaz) to a similar result and share the map.

Just be aware that custom tuning of static fuel maps (i.e., the PCIII and similar devices without any closed-loop self tuning) are only 100% accurate on the bike it was tuned on and in the atmospheric conditions it was tuned in (elevation, barometric pressure, temperature, humidity,...). It'll probably be good enough for most people to use someone else's map, but nothing beats a custom tune. Some people that get custom tuning are so anal that they have 2 custom maps: one tuned in the summer and one tuned in the spring/fall.

If you want a continuously custom tune on your Gen I FJR, your only option is the Motty. I've been thoroughly enjoying mine, but the installation is not for the weak of heart: https://www.fjrforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=113507. I actually enjoyed the installation and the excitement of being a pioneer (I'm the first to ever install this on a Gen II FJR and had to work with Motty to work out a few minor issues), but I'm not normal.

I run the Two Bros Juice Box Pro. Simple, small and easy to install. Uses Power Commander maps and you can manually adjust fueling up or down and switch between installed maps and stock (up to 10) without your computer and if you like can modify and create maps with your computer. I think I paid around $200 for it.

I too run the juice box pro on my 2010 FJR. I had a custom map built for the bike. The juice box will hold up to 10 maps. I have the Wally smoothness map, hole shot map, and my dyno map. Tbh, my dyno map rocks. Most power, smoothest, best fuel economy. Buy the juice box pro off amazon and ill have JohnnyB email you the maps.

I get as low as 38, as good as 46 but normally about 42 with my custom map and the fuel pots set at 0

I am not a tinkerer...

Put a PCV with a stock map and my Gen III runs better...