FJRF006.1: Throttle Position Sensor (TPS)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

happyPuppy

Reaction score
https://www.ama-cycle...ory.asp?id=1332

Yamaha is recalling certain model year 2005 motorcycles. The throttle position sensor can fail. Here's the notice.

Vehicle Make / Model: Model Year(s):

YAMAHA / FJR1300 2005

YAMAHA / FZS600 2005

YAMAHA / YZF-R1 2005

Manufacturer: YAMAHA MOTOR CORPORATION, USA Mfr's Report Date: SEP 15, 2009

NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 09V360000 NHTSA Action Number: N/A

Component: VEHICLE SPEED CONTROL

Potential Number of Units Affected: 180

Summary:

YAMAHA IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2005 MOTORCYCLES MANUFACTURED BETWEEN OCTOBER 2004 AND APRIL 2005. THE THROTTLE POSITION SENSOR CAN FAIL.

Consequence:

FAILURE OF THE THROTTLE POSITION COULD CAUSE THE ENGINE TO STALL WHICH COULD RESULT IN A CRASH.

Remedy:

YAMAHA WILL NOTIFY OWNERS AND REPLACE THE THROTTLE POSITION SENSOR FREE OF CHARGE. THE SAFETY RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN ON OR ABOUT OCTOBER 7, 2009. OWNERS MAY CONTACT YAMAHA AT 1-714-761-7300.

Notes:

OWNERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TOHTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV .

Last edited by a moderator:
So did I, but the date is 2009 and the number of bikes is small. Perhaps bikes registered but they never had it done?

"Manufacturer: YAMAHA MOTOR CORPORATION, USA Mfr's Report Date: SEP 15, 2009"

"Potential Number of Units Affected: 180"

"YAMAHA WILL NOTIFY OWNERS AND REPLACE THE THROTTLE POSITION SENSOR FREE OF CHARGE. THE SAFETY RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN ON OR ABOUT OCTOBER 7, 2009. OWNERS MAY CONTACT YAMAHA AT 1-714-761-7300."

So did I, but the date is 2009 and the number of bikes is small. Perhaps bikes registered but they never had it done?
"Manufacturer: YAMAHA MOTOR CORPORATION, USA Mfr's Report Date: SEP 15, 2009"

"Potential Number of Units Affected: 180"

"YAMAHA WILL NOTIFY OWNERS AND REPLACE THE THROTTLE POSITION SENSOR FREE OF CHARGE. THE SAFETY RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN ON OR ABOUT OCTOBER 7, 2009. OWNERS MAY CONTACT YAMAHA AT 1-714-761-7300."
I noticed that. A clerical error they are just getting to? Seems weird to me but looks like you are right.

Maybe the second run of FJRs in 2005 (2005 1/2 ?) didn't get the new TPS from the factory, or maybe some of them didn't get it and Yamaha can't tell for sure which ones did.

Thanks for posting this. I just ran my '05 VIN through Yamaha's site and it turns out it was part of the first TPS recall and the previous owner never had it done. So, a big thanks for bringing that to my attention. I guess I should have checked on it preventatively in the first place.

As I remember it, not all of the '05's were covered by the original recall, only those under a certain VIN number. Maybe this picks up the remainder?

Either way, mine was also covered under the original recall, but I have not wanted to bring my bike to a dealership to be abused updated. I figure I'll wait until I get a symptom...

I got the recall notice in the mail about two months ago. I have not had any issues at 21k on my 05 and have not gotten around to having it done. But I do still have the notice. Have there been any reported failures here?

Either way, mine was also covered under the original recall, but I have not wanted to bring my bike to a dealership to be abused updated. I figure I'll wait until I get a symptom...
Oh, the symptoms blow, like -- just one example that comes to mind -- having your engine drop to idle on the D.C. Beltway.

Whenever Mama Yama wants to give you a new bit for free, go get it. :thumbsup:

Thanks happyPuppy and ShinyPartsUp. This recall eluded my numbering scheme years ago to try and highlight the common issues of the FJR. I've since given the original TPS issue the number FJRF006 and pinned it. I would plan to give this one FJRF006.1 as an addendum.....and also pin it under the Technical/Mechanical Problems section...unless you have an objection.

Hmmmmm. My bike falls into this new category. I'll have to check with my local Yammer dealer to see if it was already done by the previous owner.

I agree with Fred, if it works don't fix it. My TPS hasn't been done and won't be done until something goes wrong with it.

After my original vocation as an auto mechanic and experiencing the mind set of those I worked for and with I've only allowed someone else to work on my stuff once, other than changing tires, a recall I didn't want to mess with. I now have a Cycle Hill tire changer so I will be doing my own tires now.

Oh, the symptoms blow, like -- just one example that comes to mind -- having your engine drop to idle on the D.C. Beltway.
(Lucky for me) I would never venture onto the DC beltway on a motorcycle in a gazzilion years, TPS recall or not. I don't ride in Boston, NYC or anywhere that people take great pride in driving like their hair is on fire for that matter. I like the added protection of a steel cage when I'm taking on those a-holes.

Call me a wuss, I don't care. :glare:

The TPS was replaced on my '04 a couple of years ago.

I used to ride on the DC beltway until about 15 yrs ago when I barely missed dropping my bike through a huge "pothole" on the Cabin John bridge. You could see the river through the hole.

After that and a couple tangles with mentally challenged drivers I quit...

(Lucky for me) I would never venture onto the DC beltway on a motorcycle in a gazzilion years, TPS recall or not. I don't ride in Boston, NYC or anywhere that people take great pride in driving like their hair is on fire for that matter. I like the added protection of a steel cage when I'm taking on those a-holes.

Wuss

:rolleyes:

Shane

Wuss

:rolleyes:

Shane
Yabbat, I'm an alive wuss. ;)

Due to recent circumstances, I have now had the "opportunity" to bring my beloved to a dealership for other required work. Rest easy. The TPS recall has now been accomplished. :p

According to this new recall, it only affects 20 FJR's (the rest are 600's and R1s) and the VIN's don't look familar to me - I doubt they are US production. So it appears they just missed a few bikes in the first go-around.

It's a judgment call, but I'd definitely get safety recall work done and risk having someone else work on your bike, especially for something relatively straigthforward like this. I doubt TPS failure would give you much warning - instead, your bike would just suddenly quit and that could be dangerous.

- Mark

Since I bought my bike second-hand, I'd like to find out a) if my bike is affected, and B) if the recall was previously done. Is there somewhere online where we can find out those kind of details by providing our VIN?

Thanks,

'fooz

Since I bought my bike second-hand, I'd like to find out a) if my bike is affected, and B) if the recall was previously done. Is there somewhere online where we can find out those kind of details by providing our VIN?...
Call or go to the Yamaha dealer of your choice and give them your VIN. They will look up your VIN on Yamaha's computer system and tell you what if any recalls are open for your FJR and they can also tell you which ones have been completed.