battery replacement question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scarbo

Reaction score
I need to replace the battery on my '04 FJR. This is the first time I've had to replace the battery on this bike (I've owned it for 2 years). I see there are lots of websites to order a battery from.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good battery distributor or battery brand? Is it best to get the highest CCA (cold cranking amps) rated battery that is available?

Also, does the right side fairing have to be removed to replace the battery?

I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Wesco fron Bike Effects is the mutts nutz-Mine reads 12.9 v even after sitting for a few days..

Last edited by a moderator:
Wesco fron Bike Effects is the mutts nutz-Mine reads 12.9 v even after sitting for a few days..

I would also check West Coast Battery, they sell the Oddysey Batteries, I have one on my Jeep and it is a great battery

https://www.odysseybatteries.com/
Please let me know if you find a way to shoehorn an Odyssey into the 2.5" wide spot in the fairing. :blink:
"That's Our Zippy" Monday nights on FOX! :yahoo:

I would also check West Coast Battery, they sell the Oddysey Batteries, I have one on my Jeep and it is a great battery

https://www.odysseybatteries.com/
Please let me know if you find a way to shoehorn an Odyssey into the 2.5" wide spot in the fairing. :blink:
I tried... Apparently there is a battery, but you have to shave all the fins off the outside to get it to fit. It's been done (according to the Odyssey guys) but it aint pretty.

I elected to pass on that procedure and went WestCo via Bike Effects. +1

"(according to the Odyssey guys)"

Huh?

Their 8AH battery is 3.39" wide.

The 2.75" width in a 12AH rating is an orphan in standard battery sizes.

FYI

YT14B-4, PT14B-4, GT14B-4

Voltage 12

Amp Hour 12

CCA* 135

Length 6"

Width 2 3/4"

Height 5 3/4"

Metric Dimensions: 150mm x 70mm x 145mm (152Lx72Wx147H MAX.)

Weight 10.1lbs

"(according to the Odyssey guys)"
Huh?

Their 8AH battery is 3.39" wide.

The 2.75" width in a 12AH rating is an orphan in standard battery sizes.

FYI

YT14B-4, PT14B-4, GT14B-4

Voltage 12

Amp Hour 12

CCA* 135

Length 6"

Width 2 3/4"

Height 5 3/4"

Metric Dimensions: 150mm x 70mm x 145mm (152Lx72Wx147H MAX.)

Weight 10.1lbs
I don't know if that's it or not. Call them up and ask them for a battery for an FJR, first they will laugh.

Then the guy said you can force XXX battery to fit if you trim the fins off the side, but no they don't make one to fit. The fins are about 1/2 inch around the batter and on the bottom. It will still be tight.

-MD

Thanks for all your help. I checked the Bike Effects site and the Westco battery seems the way to go.

Geezer, how can I get a discount for being a Forum member?

Thanks for all your help. I checked the Bike Effects site and the Westco battery seems the way to go.
Geezer, how can I get a discount for being a Forum member?
Like Fred said, it's in the vendor section.

Bike Effects discount information can be found in the first post in this thread.

The originbal battery in my 03 lasted 6 years! :exhappysmiley:

Recently picked up an EBC sealed battery on Ebay for about $60 shipped.

just a hint from many years of being a cheap skate...

don't mess with tires, brakes, or batterys - pretty much, you get what you paid for

it's a $14k bike...proven Westco is under $100 and pretty much guaranteed to be the best for our uses

just sayin'

The original battery in my 03 lasted 6 years! :exhappysmiley:
just a hint from many years of being a cheap skate......you get what you paid for

...proven Westco is under $100 and ...the best
Well..., how long do they last?

They seem to be considerably 'cheaper' than the OEM battery?

Last edited by a moderator: