Stacking feeler gauges

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crash Cash

Reaction score
OK, I just did a valve check, and fortunately there was no reshimming needed (yay!)

So how do folks get measurements to 0.01mm? I have a metric set and the sizes are (in mm) 0.04, 0.05, 0.06, 0.07, 0.08, 0.09, 0.10, 0.15, 0.20, 0.25, 0.30, 0.35,0.40, 0.45, 0.50, 0.55, 0.60, 0.65, 0.70, 0.75, 0.80, 0.85, 0.90, 0.95. That's the only metric set I can find on the 'net (KD tools #2274) and everything else is the old steam-engine fractional-inch sizes converted to metric.

Is it a legal move to (for example) stack an 0.15mm and an 0.06mm to get 0.21mm? Or is this bogus and misleading?

I'd really like to track the valve clearances closely to 0.01mm since it's such a PITA to finally get to them.

OK, I just did a valve check, and fortunately there was no reshimming needed (yay!)
So how do folks get measurements to 0.01mm? I have a metric set and the sizes are (in mm) 0.04, 0.05, 0.06, 0.07, 0.08, 0.09, 0.10, 0.15, 0.20, 0.25, 0.30, 0.35,0.40, 0.45, 0.50, 0.55, 0.60, 0.65, 0.70, 0.75, 0.80, 0.85, 0.90, 0.95. That's the only metric set I can find on the 'net (KD tools #2274) and everything else is the old steam-engine fractional-inch sizes converted to metric.

Is it a legal move to (for example) stack an 0.15mm and an 0.06mm to get 0.21mm? Or is this bogus and misleading?

I'd really like to track the valve clearances closely to 0.01mm since it's such a PITA to finally get to them.
Totally depends on the condition of the feeler gages. If they're like new, then it's OK. If they're chewed up at all, then no-way.

That's the way I've always done it. That is why they don't give you every possible increment, they expect you to stack em. Clean the gauges well, measurement should be OK. Obviously make the size needed with as few stacked gauges as possible.

I'll be interested to hear any dissenting opinions.

[edit] Oh here comes one now

Totally depends on the condition of the feeler gages. If they're like new, then it's OK. If they're chewed up at all, then no-way.
Ummm, if the gauge is chewed up it would probably be worthless unstacked, no?

Last edited by a moderator:
Stack your feeler gages to the desired gap that you need to measure, then double-check the stack thickness with a caliper or micrometer (old KSC Space Shuttle processing measurement requirement).

Another proponent of: clean/good contion; then stack. (If you've got a micrometer you can check the final thickness, but barring a bitched up gauge, you should be spot-on.)

Thanks guys... you folks rock.

I already learned the hard way to keep my gauges lightly oiled and in a ziptop baggie. I got a set once and diligently cleaned them when I got home, and after a week in Florida humidity, they looked like they had measles. Heck, even my factory manual succumbed to the heat & humidity... I left it open to the valve check procedure, and when I got back to it the next weekend, all the pages had separated from the spine.

Thanks guys... you folks rock.
I already learned the hard way to keep my gauges lightly oiled and in a ziptop baggie. I got a set once and diligently cleaned them when I got home, and after a week in Florida humidity, they looked like they had measles. Heck, even my factory manual succumbed to the heat & humidity... I left it open to the valve check procedure, and when I got back to it the next weekend, all the pages had separated from the spine.
I find soaking all my tools and manuals with Maker's Mark (I am the biggest tool) keeps everything functioning adequately. And if anything breaks if you've soaked your tool enough you don't care! :crazy:

Seriously, I thought I would throw some levity in here as you question was adequately answered. Keep 'em clean and corrosion free and stack away! Checking with a mic is good for piece of mind too!