Winter Gloves made for use with Heated Grips

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fred W

1 Wheel Drive
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
M'kay...

Past couple of years I have been running with a few different pair of thinsulated leather winter gloves for the early and late seasons in New England. There just ain't no riding available out here in the true "dead of winter". One thing I noticed is that, whenever the weather is downright nippley (that's when nipple erections are completely uncontrollable) the heat from my heated grips can't penetrate well enough into my hands through the big ass'd gloves needed to keep from getting frostbite on the backs of my hands exposed to the arctic winds.

After discussing this ad nauseum with several other local riders, one of our own forumites, Dan, aka BkrK12 (I have no idea what that stands for) mentioned that he had some gloves he bought a few years back from the HotGrips folks (right here in Live Free Or Die New Hampster) that are designed specifically to work with their heated grips. (You know HotGrips right?)

These gloves have thick insulation on the backs of your hands, but thin (or no) insulation in the palms. Wow, says I! This sure seems like what I want, and maybe everyone else who is running heated grips in the chilly states in the land with little sunshine.

I contacted the fine folks at HotGrips through their web site. Being New Hampshire folk, they responded to my e-query in mere minutes and informed me that they no longer carry the Gloves that citizen Kenny bought, as those gloves were manufactured in PAKISTAN, and they felt very uncomfortable in dealing with manufacturers in that part of the world. 1 Thumbs up to HotGrips. So, they said, they did not have anything to offer me. I thanked them for their correspondence.

A few more days passed and I received another email message from HotGrips principle Jim Hollander, who provided me a lead (and a direct web link) to some gloves that he found being made by FirstGear (now owned by Tucker Rocky) known as the "Firstgear TPG Glacier Waterproof Winter Motorcycle Gloves" FirstGear also makes a similar glove intended for use with heated grips known as the "Firstgear TPG Tundra Waterproof Winter Motorcycle Gloves" the main difference being the Glaciers are all leather and the Tundra is a mix of leather and Cordura textile.

Wow, how about that for customer service? Through further email conversation I found that they (HotGrips) are now considering carrying them on their website (after being prodded by me to find them). But the timing of their obtaining them wholesale through Tucker Rocky will be long, so Jim suggested I just order them thru any Tucker Rocky vendor. 2nd thumbsup.

I have ordered myself a pair of the all leather Glaciers through MotorcycleSuperstore, for $89 with free shipping. While a bit pricey for a non-electrified glove, if they work as advertised, and remain relatively waterproof as described, I will say it's money well spent. And I'm a cheap SOB!

When the gloves come in I promised to do a report back to my new friend Jim at HotGrips and will also report back here.

firstgear-glacier-gloves.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Silly question, but if your fingers get cold on the outside, why not just get heated gloves, they are heated on the outside which would keep your fingers warm while the hotgrips will do the rest.......

Just curious...

I'll be waitin' for that report with bated breath....

Or maybe baited breath...

Move south Fred, think of the money you'd save..

:)

Silly question, but if your fingers get cold on the outside, why not just get heated gloves, they are heated on the outside which would keep your fingers warm while the hotgrips will do the rest.......
Just curious...
I have heated grips and also heated gloves. The gloves are somewhat of a pain to use for shorter rides (i.e. commuting) This seems like the perfect solution for needing warm hands but not wanting to deal with the wires.

I also have both and agree about the wires.

Nice find Fred. I never thought about thin on inside and thick on outside, but it sounds perfect.

I will be waiting for your report.

I just got, and tested, a pair of HELD "Warm & Dry" cold weather gloves - so far I'm very impressed - can feel the heat from my heated grips - and better yet last night I took the FJR out and at about 45 degrees along the lake shore at 80mph I can put my hand out in the clean air and not feel any cold or wind penetration at all - quite impressive - of course at $200 they should be - I've got 3 different pair of HELD gloves and love them all.

I'll be thoroughly testing them out next week as I head out for a 4 day, 1200 mile, trip through northern Vermont, New Hampshire and over to Belfast Me and back.

I'm interested in your report on how the gloves perform. I tried the RoadGear Adaptiv-Tec gloves, which I was told were ideal for use with heated grips. Hated them in general, and they didn't have enough insulation to keep the backs of the hands warm. I have heated gloves for when it gets below freezing, but I also don't like the hassle with the wires. I'm thinking if these gloves are good, and maybe with a set of the VStrom handguards, I can forgo the heated gloves in all but the most extreme cold.

These gloves from Lee Parks Design are specifically made for use with heated grips. Phase-change material on the palms and Thinsulite on the backs. I've used them down to 35 degrees F with no issues (with heated grips).

Deer Sport PCI Gloves

I tried on a pair of Helds one time... they were super nice, but for 2 Ben Franklins I just couldn't do it... for that, I could tour for a week if I camped.

I'm having trouble justifiying the 70$ for the set of gloves I want to replace my 30$ no-name, 5 year old leather gloves.

have ordered myself a pair of the all leather Glaciers through MotorcycleSuperstore, for $89 with free shipping. While a bit pricey for a non-electrified glove, if they work as advertised, and remain relatively waterproof as described, I will say it's money well spent. And I'm a cheap SOB!
I bought a pair of glaciers last week from newenough.com and have used them this week. The temps are not yet cool enough to really tell how effective they are (low 50's in the morning here in the valley of the sun) but my initial indication is that I sure can feel the heat from the heated grips thru the palms. The only cool spot I've detected is the thumb, which is going to be a problem no matter what non-heated glove I buy. The glove itself fits well but they're a bit stiff - since they're leather I anticipate that they'll work in to my hand shape over time.

These gloves from Lee Parks Design are specifically made for use with heated grips. Phase-change material on the palms and Thinsulite on the backs. I've used them down to 35 degrees F with no issues (with heated grips).
Deer Sport PCI Gloves
+1. These are very good, and very comfortable gloves. Not too thick, and the outlast material does a good job of distributing the heat from the grips all the way around.

Well, I sort of wish that I had heard about the Lee Parks PCi gloves before I sprung for the First Gears. I like the looks of these shorter cuffed phase change matrix gloves seen here: Lee Parks Deer Tours PCi

deertoursPCi68K200.jpg

I'd have probably coughed up the extra little bit to get those. But the (cheaper) First Gears are on their way, so we'll see how those babies work out first, and reserve those for plan "B"

Well, I sort of wish that I had heard about the Lee Parks PCi gloves before I sprung for the First Gears. I like the looks of these shorter cuffed phase change matrix gloves seen here: Lee Parks Deer Tours PCi
deertoursPCi68K200.jpg

I'd have probably coughed up the extra little bit to get those. But the (cheaper) First Gears are on their way, so we'll see how those babies work out first, and reserve those for plan "B"
Well, the Lee Parks are not waterproof. I always carry a second pair for that, so the First Gears may be more what you're looking for anyway. And much cheaper.

I ride in pretty freakin cold weather here in Ohio, as long as there's not a heavy layer of salt on the roads. I have relatively crappy circulation in my right hand from a nasty get-off a couple decades ago, so my right hand gets painfully cold pretty quick. First I tried V-Strom handguards...much better at keeping the rain off than keeping the cold off IMO (although that alone makes them worth the modest price of admission). Grip heaters were next...very nice when it's "cool" out, but totally inadequate when it's "cold", like sub-freezing, even with gloves that were allegedly grip-heater friendly. A guy at the CycleWorld show in Cleveland told me to quit wasting my time and get some heated gloves...so I did. Worth their weight in gold! I have a sub-wire that goes from my heat-troller regulated Powerlet outlet in the front faing panel up to the right grip, where it stays zip-tied to the bar during cold season. I have a coiled "Y" cord that goes from there to the gloves. When we're in the thick of cold season, I just leave the gloves plugged in and sitting on the triple clamp all the time, so I don't have to fool with the cord, I just pull them on and go. Yeah, they're chilly inside when I put them on, but they heat up in just 30 seconds or so once I power them on. Or I can start the bike first and they're already toasty by the time I put them on. If I'm someplace where I don't feel comfortable leaving them with the bike, its just one easy plug from the sub-wire to the coiled cord, so they go with me in seconds. This more than anything has dramatically extended riding season for me. Hallelujah road salt has gotten stupid expensive so the Ohio DOT has stopped using the stuff like it expires tomorrow! :yahoo: Now my riding season is 10 - 11 months long...and I don't EVEN want to hear from all you spoiled guys in So-Cal that it's ALWAYS riding season! :rolleyes:

DD,

Thanks for the ideas on the heated glove wiring. I do have a set of Gerbings heated gloves that I purchased last year, but man those things are clumsy big. I've used them only once since buying them, and they do throw a lot of heat into the backs of my hands. With only an on/off switch for heat control they are just too hot. I'll have to buy myself a heattroller for the gloves. I already have one for the grips.

With the grips on heating my palms and the gloves on heating the backs of my hands I'm pretty sure my hands would be good down to 30 below. But then we get to the "other" circulation poor area on my body: my feet. I'd need to get some heated soles or socks or something to spend any length of time out there when the weather is cold enough to be needing the heated gloves.

DD,
Thanks for the ideas on the heated glove wiring. I do have a set of Gerbings heated gloves that I purchased last year, but man those things are clumsy big. I've used them only once since buying them, and they do throw a lot of heat into the backs of my hands. With only an on/off switch for heat control they are just too hot. I'll have to buy myself a heattroller for the gloves. I already have one for the grips.

With the grips on heating my palms and the gloves on heating the backs of my hands I'm pretty sure my hands would be good down to 30 below. But then we get to the "other" circulation poor area on my body: my feet. I'd need to get some heated soles or socks or something to spend any length of time out there when the weather is cold enough to be needing the heated gloves.

For shorter rides I use those chemical heaters for inside my boots, they are called 'Toasty Toes" or something similar to that (get them from outdoor sporting goods stores). I also have the heated insoles from gerbing that I haven't used yet but they will proably only be used for longer rides (once again, more cords to deal with).