fjr lower bike

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can start with a Corbin , that will get you halfway there, then lower the suspension.

Newbie question, how does this actually lower the bike? Looking at the picture I can't tell.

MeisstailLifterFJR.jpg

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Newbie question, how does this actually lower the bike? Looking at the picture I can't tell.

MeisstailLifterFJR.jpg

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

The length of the link (some people call them "Dog Bones") is longer than the stock length which lowers the back of the bike. I see they offer 2 sizes, you may want to give them a call & they should be able to tell you the seat height change.

This will effect the ground clearance & if your the sporting type you may want to look at seat options first.

Last edited by a moderator:
The length of the link (some people call them "Dog Bones") is shorter than the stock length which lowers the back of the bike. I see they offer 2 sizes, you may want to give them a call & they should be able to tell you the seat height change.This will effect the ground clearance & if your the sporting type you may want to look at seat options first.
Actually and *counter-intuitively* shorter dog-bones raise the back of the FJR; while longer ones lower it. And, as "everything-affects-everything"; their addition is not without compromises in other areas -- be careful when you *re-engineer*. Maybe?

toecutter Posted Today, 01:21 AMTrade it in for a cruiser.

Lowering kit for the FJR. I am vertically challenged and have a new 07 FJR on the way, due in January...so they say. My friend has an 05 FJR and he bought a kit of links from an outfit in Canada who can be contacted at : www.adjustmenttech.com. Their kit is infinately adjustable and you can lower your FJR up to about two inches befoe things start to scrape on the turns. This kit keeps the bike stable and predictable, better than the "Dog bones", which will work but are not the total answer as they only allow one level of adjustment. The adjutementtech kit costs $305.00 Canadian, considerably more than the dog bones but considerably more safer in my view. At any rate, I also ordered a kit from them and it sits on my workbench awaiting the arrival of my new FJR1300A. Jabber

If I were you I'd look into lowering the suspension.

You can lower it up to an inch and a half with a wiburs shock,there was a group buy on suspensions through GP suspensions in oregon,they were selling penske rear shocks and ohlins which I'm not sure about the lowering capabilities of those.

But the reason I'm saying suspension is that the yamaha rear shock will probably be toast in 15-20 K miles and you'll have to change it out anyway,might as well put your money into something that will upgrade your handling plus lower it at the same time.

also... I have a Corbin on my 2006 AE. Don't believe what you read on their website. The seat is lower than the stock seat (in low setting) but the Corbin is wider so anything gained by the lower seat is lost with the wider seat.

Notwithstanding this, the Corbin seat IMO is more comfortable by far than the factory seat.

As an inseam challenged person, I found the need to lower my 07 FJR (which I haven't received yet), byabout two inches. A friend of mine has an 05 FJR and he installed a lowering link kit on his bike that is very secure and stable. It is manufactured and sold by a company in Canada called Adjustment Tech Racing, and their email address is: [email protected]; or you can call them at 705-749-6477. The cost less shipping is $305.oo Canadian. INMHO this is a safer and more secure mod than the dog bones. I bought the kit and am awaiting delivery of the other part of this equation (07 FJR). Jabber

HELP would like to lower the seat or bike by aleast 2 inchs

Dont' forget... lowering the seat is not a problem... get a lower aftermarket seat...

I simply shaved my seat and there's two layers of foam... the thick stuff is on top.

Once that's cut off, there aint' much padding left! (Dont' ask!) <G>

But if you lower the bike itself (I have both Koubalink's and shorter's Wilber's front and back),

then different things may scrape, depending on your level of riding.

( My level is outright chicken, so far no problem with scraping stuff)

And the sidestand may need to be rebent so the bike is not standing too upright.

I also took off my centerstand.. that did scrape, even with my riding.

Ok, so with no bags or tailpack on it, I've been told it looks like a streetfighter...<BG>

At least until peeps notice the GPS and other farkles...

Mary

Lowering kit for the FJR. I am vertically challenged and have a new 07 FJR on the way, due in January...so they say. My friend has an 05 FJR and he bought a kit of links from an outfit in Canada who can be contacted at : www.adjustmenttech.com. Their kit is infinately adjustable and you can lower your FJR up to about two inches befoe things start to scrape on the turns. This kit keeps the bike stable and predictable, better than the "Dog bones", which will work but are not the total answer as they only allow one level of adjustment. The adjutementtech kit costs $305.00 Canadian, considerably more than the dog bones but considerably more safer in my view. At any rate, I also ordered a kit from them and it sits on my workbench awaiting the arrival of my new FJR1300A. Jabber

Jabber, did you get the lowering kit installed? Thoughts?

thanks!

Vernon

Have you completed the lowering, how difficult was it? what does this do to your warrenty? I have a 2005 and would like to purchase another for my wife, but it is about 2 inch too tall for her. Thanks for any information.

Wtaphorn

As an inseam challenged person, I found the need to lower my 07 FJR (which I haven't received yet), byabout two inches. A friend of mine has an 05 FJR and he installed a lowering link kit on his bike that is very secure and stable. It is manufactured and sold by a company in Canada called Adjustment Tech Racing, and their email address is: [email protected]; or you can call them at 705-749-6477. The cost less shipping is $305.oo Canadian. INMHO this is a safer and more secure mod than the dog bones. I bought the kit and am awaiting delivery of the other part of this equation (07 FJR). Jabber

I lowered mine last week, was very easy to do, and so farI haven't really noticed any handling changes. Other than the fact that I can actually flat foot the bike now, dang stubby legs.

But I only have about 200 miles on it so far since I lowered it and nothing to aggressive, but so far everything seems fine.

Is it harder to get up the on the centerstand? I don't have any trouble with the stock geometry but it is heavy and having to lever it up another inch seems to me like a bit of a challenge. How's life without a centerstand?

I haven't lowered mine but have read about others who have. I also have put a 2x4 under my center stand (same effect as lowering the bike) to add rear tire clearance when pulling the back wheel and can tell you it is much more difficult getting the bike up. Some have cut a length out of their center stands. Also, if you lower the bike, the side stand will be too long and, again, some have re-engineered it. Footpeg feelers and other hard parts will drag sooner when you've got it heeled well over. I believe some other steering geometry is affected. A lot of trade offs, but many have gone that route (lowering) and are satisfied. I think if the stock FJR were too tall for me, I'd find a bike built lower in stock form.

HELP would like to lower the seat or bike by aleast 2 inchs
Do your research carefully before buying the Corbin seat. I'm told that they are very comfortable, but push your legs out wider, effectively lessening your footing on the ground.

Kouba links work but you will sacrifice ground clearance, ease of using the center stand, and the bike will not lean over so far on the side stand. Gotta be REAL careful where you park.

You can also use riding boots with thicker soles. Use a wedge sole, rather than a separate heel, for ease in shifting. Ride with a view to staying away from tricky situations. E.g. when coming into a parking lot, choose a space where you can ride in/ride out. Or back the bike downhill into a space, so you can use the power to get it uphill.

It is possible, but a little nervewracking, for people with short legs, to ride an FJR. (My inseam is 26" so with the Kouba links, I have pointed toes on the ground).