Yamaha FJR top box

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carl Stark

Reaction score
The Harley is sold and D & H has an FJR ready to ship. What is the groups opinion of the

Yamaha top box for the FJR? Are there any other good options?

Thanks,

Carl Stark

I like the Yamaha top box on mine when I'm riding two-up. The backrest is nice for the passenger, and the box gives me more room to stash stuff. I'm not able to get two full-face helmets in it, but when we stop to eat or whatever, I can stash one helmet in the top box and one helmet in a side case. Some other riders have the Givi case and can tell you more about it.

I do wish it had a light kit built into it. But that may be a project for me this winter.

'fooz

Mine came with the top box and I like it fine. Fambly members who ride pillion say they are secure back there with the top box there.

The top box has less capacity for stuff than a Givi 46 (liters) which seems to be the most commonn choice for the Feej. Then there's the "giant" Givi 52.

I like the color match and same key for the Yammy. Others do get their Givi lid painted to match and there's a member of the forum who does that with superior talent and results.

I believe the Yammy ends up being more expensive to purchase and install than a Givi.

Well, "ya pays ya money and ya..."

Hope this helps and there are others who should chime in soon,

Mike in Nawlins'

The top-box is VERY expensive (I got mine from the PO) compared to GIVI and others. I like having the storage (I ride w/o saddle bags) but they waste alot of space w/molding and such that it appears large on the outside...but medium on the inside. Painted to match makes me smile. No handling issues up to 125 that I could feel. Quality of construction and matching key is perfect.

I have the Yamaha box and it's good. I got a very good deal on it and the base from eBay.

When/if I buy a Gen 2 bike, though, I will get a Givi box. They're better looking and more spacious. When I ride with it, I'm looking for room.

Last edited by a moderator:
The top-box is VERY expensive (I got mine from the PO) compared to GIVI and others.
While I agree the factory box costs more, expense is relative.

I was happy to pay more for my Yamaha top box for my 09.

1 - I know it's covered under my factory warranty

2 - I know it was designed to fit on the bike properly (though, oddly, the manual says the top box was not designed to be used in conjunction with the side cases - no freakin' clue why...)

3 - I know if there is an issue, I can walk back into the dealer with it

4 - I like the look of the factory lines

All that said, as noted, it will not hold 2 full face helmets.

I have 2300 miles on mine now and nary a drop of Pacific Northwest rain has entered that bad boy. Just gotta remember to empty my junk every now and again - a top box is an easy place to toss extra gloves, etc., so it ends up collecting junk on me...

I personally feel it was worth the extra dough, but I place a value on the style matching my bike's lines. Others may have different values. :)

I bought a Coocase from Twisted Throttle this summer. A bit less expensive than Givi, with a remote key fob that alarms/unlocks. It has a nice cushioned interior, stays to keep the lid upright and two led running lights. the good and bad - built offshore..got mine and there was a screw missing. the guys at twisted throttle overnighted me another, with shipping label to send the defective unit back. good service, nice case.

I have the Yamaha box, IMHO The Givi is cheaper & less wasted space. I went with the Yamaha because it uses the same key as everything else on the bike and one thing I hated about my Connie was seperate keys for the bags.

Yamaha Top case = $344 at Stadium Yamaha

Yamaha Mount Plate = $91 a Stadium Yamaha

Total = $435 (plus tax and shipping)

Givi 52 litter Matt Black = $278 at HelmetHead Cycle

Givi 52 litter Gloss Black = $344 at HelmetHead Cycle

Givi 52 litter Matt Black w/ brake light kit = $306 at HelmetHead Cycle

Givi Universal Mount Plate = $64 HelmetHead Cycle

**Free shipping on Givi products from HelmetHead and no tax on out of state orders**

I just upgraded from the Givi 52 litter to 55 litter with foam liner kit and brake light kit for $360.

If, you go with the Givi unit there are a couple options for a location to mount the universal plate. Many options can be found here. If, I was picking a new option to mount, I would use the FJR/GIVI Replacement Rack for $110 and not worry about the Givi universal mount.

Totals:

$388 - 52ltr matt black (tax and shipping on plate only)

$416 - 52ltr matt black w/brake light kit (tax and shipping on plate only)

$470 - 55ltr matt black w/brake light and foam kit (tax and shipping on plate only)

Early next year, the 55ltr will have a optional remote open kit.

Any case you get, check out this mod for the case: Video

Search each case on you tube for videos of the brake kits in action.

I hope this helps,

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the Givi V46 cause I liked the looks better and room over the Yamaha box. It works and looks fine but would do the 52 if doing it over just for the added space. Mine has been stellar and Givi makes great products--probably made Yamaha's case to their specs anyway.

doctorj

Went with the E52 for price when I got my bike in summer '07, but had never seen either the Givi or the Yammy box in person. In pictures I felt the Yamaha box was rather, um, "boxy" looking. While its stated capacity is similar to the Givi boxes, its shape makes it less useful. I store my jacket and overpants in my Givi easily while at work, and they would not go into the Yamaha box without wadding them up. I was able to get the color-matched lid on my '03.

Also, it's quite easy to re-key the Givi lock to match your bike's key.

I have both the OEM top box and the GIVI 52. The OEM box looks sweet on the bike mostly because it's color coded. Definitely does not hold as much gear as the GIVI, so i recently took it off and installed the GIVI which i already had and was using on my FJ1200. I can fit my gym bag with all its gear with no problem in the 52. With the OEM top box that was a no go. I had to divide my gear up in the 2 side bags. I also did not like that i cannot fit 2 helmets in the OEM box. Saying all that in my opinion the bike does look better with the OEM box. I'll put it back on for any extended trips....

At the risk of this being a hyjack does any one have any experience using a seat mounted Back Rest with the top box rather than the small pads available?? The mounting options seem to put the box way up which could be a problem for the backrest. :huh:

Thanks to all for the input and advice.

SWMBO dicided to go with the Yamaha box. (really it's my wifes bike)

The check is in the mail and there should be a new horse in

The stable December 2.

Carl Stark

At the risk of this being a hyjack does any one have any experience using a seat mounted Back Rest with the top box rather than the small pads available?? The mounting options seem to put the box way up which could be a problem for the backrest. :huh:

Since the original poster reached a verdict, I guess it's no longer a hijack. My first FJR came with a Corbin with detachable backrest...HATED IT!! My wife and I are NOT large people (both ~ 5'8" and about 325 lbs combined), yet I felt she was being shoved into me, and subsequently me into the tank. I never felt so cramped on such a big bike. There was just no room to move around. I now have two options, which both make the wife and I happy...a Garauld backrest, which sits much farther back than the Corbin backrest did, and a JC Whitney large trunk with back pad for when we're traveling long distance and need the extra space. Frankly, I'm not crazy about the look of anything back there...never was, never will be. But both look ok, and come off VERY quickly, so I only put them on when the wifey is along for the ride. I painted the fugly orange band on the JC W case silver and had the lid painted Galaxy Blue to match the bike, so it looks much better than the crazy inexpensive case it is. Besides, I'll bet if you surveyed the women-folk that ride pillion, I think you'd find most don't even use the darn thing, they just feel better knowing it's back there. I think you'd be unhappy with the seat mounted backrest and just fine with anything else.

MHO, YMMV.

Since the original poster reached a verdict, I guess it's no longer a hijack. My first FJR came with a Corbin with detachable backrest...HATED IT!! My wife and I are NOT large people (both ~ 5'8" and about 325 lbs combined), yet I felt she was being shoved into me, and subsequently me into the tank. I never felt so cramped on such a big bike. There was just no room to move around. I now have two options, which both make the wife and I happy...a Garauld backrest, which sits much farther back than the Corbin backrest did, and a JC Whitney large trunk with back pad for when we're traveling long distance and need the extra space. Frankly, I'm not crazy about the look of anything back there...never was, never will be. But both look ok, and come off VERY quickly, so I only put them on when the wifey is along for the ride. I painted the fugly orange band on the JC W case silver and had the lid painted Galaxy Blue to match the bike, so it looks much better than the crazy inexpensive case it is. Besides, I'll bet if you surveyed the women-folk that ride pillion, I think you'd find most don't even use the darn thing, they just feel better knowing it's back there. I think you'd be unhappy with the seat mounted backrest and just fine with anything else.

MHO, YMMV.
Exactly my problem. I already have the Corbin and the backrest and it does just what you have mentioned. I was trying to decide on a trunk and was trying to avoid pushing the backrest any further forward. :(

i got the Yamaha trunk but didn't like the mounting position so i made a mount that lowered the trunk as far as possible and allows fore and aft adjustment. my wife loves it. i got it for the same price as a givi through my dealer.

009.jpg