Reflector Mod for Givi V46 case

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fred W

1 Wheel Drive
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
Quite a while ago I bought a set of retro-reflective stickers for the back of the FJR's side cases. These really help brighten up your back end and make you much more visible and conspicuous to any following motorists at night. Alex also makes a kit of similar reflective stickers for the Yamaha Factory Touring trunk. I asked if he would consider making something for those of us that run with the Givi V46 trunks instead. What he came up with is a set of reflective pieces that fit into the two big red panels on either side of the case lid.

Below is my case before:

100_1112q.jpg

To remove the red plastic lenses you need to remove 2 screws each from inside the trunk lid, screw locations shown:

100_1115A.jpg

Note that the two outboard screws are driven in at angle.

100_1105q.jpg

With the 2 screws removed, grab the upper outboard edge of the lens and pry it off the lid. It will just pop off releasing some plastic catches along the edge of the lid:

100_1107q.jpg

Flipping the removed lens over you'll see the silver metallic reflector used by Givi. It is not glued in place or secured in any way. It just fits loosely under the lens . Pull that off and set it aside.

Here's a picture of the stock silver reflector on the right and one of the two retro-reflective inserts provided by Alex on the left:

100_1110q.jpg

Simply place the new insert into position with the reflective red surface facing the plastic lens.

100_1111Aq.jpg

When reinstalling the lens onto the trunk lid you'll need to tuck the two tabs (identified in the above picture) under the top and center panels first, then work the lens back on snapping it back into place. Make sure the snaps are all engaged along the edge of the trunk lid before re-installing any of the screws.

Next, reinstall the outboard (shorter) screw first, which actually threads into the lens itself, while firmly holding the lens in the correct position. The longer, inboard screws actually thread into the top panel and clamps the two tabs to hold the lens in position. Pretty darn easy if you take your time and are a little gentle.

Here are the results shown with a camera flash to simulate being hit by headlights.

The first picture is after replacing just the right side reflector, second one (obviously) with both.

100_1113q.jpg

100_1114q.jpg

Contact forum member Alex if you are interested in purchasing a set of these for yourself.

I'm not sure of his pricing, he was still finding new material to use when he made mine.

Hopefully he will chime in with further info..

Nice write-up!

I'm gonna ponder over Christmas a good place or method to try and highlight or organize some of the better write-ups...especially ones with pictures and arrows like this. ;)

If there are others on the forum anybody thinks warrant special distinction...shoot me a PM.

Last edited by a moderator:
Contact forum member Alex if you are interested in purchasing a set of these for yourself. I'm not sure of his pricing, he was still finding new material to use when he made mine.

I'm in. I've been meaning to do the SOLAS tape mod but I can't find anybody locally who carries it (and everybody online will only ship via the 'spensive ways).

Oh Alex!

Contact forum member Alex if you are interested in purchasing a set of these for yourself. I'm not sure of his pricing, he was still finding new material to use when he made mine.

I'm in. I've been meaning to do the SOLAS tape mod but I can't find anybody locally who carries it (and everybody online will only ship via the 'spensive ways).

Oh Alex!
+1 on SOLAS tape, I did this on my E-52. you can get SOLAS at any marine store. I have some 2" SOLAS let me know what case you have and give me the measurement H and W of reflector.

Thanks for the kind words everyone.

As I mentioned, this is a brand new product for Alex that he developed at my request. So I told him that I would do a thorough pictorial on the install that he could later use for promoting it to others. It is such an easy install, the step by step is almost overkill. But maybe not for some people that have never before taken the lid off the bag.

As to the use of Solas tape, unless you mean to put the tape under the lens, I wouldn't relish the idea of having stickers on the outside of the bag. Because there are no flat surfaces on the V46 it would be pretty hard to get them on and looking very good.

edit - after googling SOLAS Reflective tape, I think that may be the same material that Alex uses to make these in a red color with no adhesive. But 2" isn't wide enough. You'd need a 4" wide x 12" long piece to one the same shape as the silver reflector.

I do like the idea of an archive of how-to-do-its. Sometimes it's hard to find the one you are looking for even with google. Plus, even though we have had some really good luck with out forum servers as long as I've been here, no forum is completely non-volatile. It would be great if someone with some web space would capture the good ones and host them in another site for posterity.

Thanks for the kind words everyone.
Nice write up Fred.. Very informative with plenty of pictures of a really good product no doubt. Very nice Alex

Butttt....

Ya knew there would be one din ya?

Too many "kind" words were in fact spoken so..

That is about the gheyest thing I've seen you post up in years! Why Fred? What happened to you? Ya get yer nuts caught in yer zipper? Too much Ophra?

This kindness shit has got to stop I tell ya. Damn place is turning into Alan Aldas house or sumpin.. A refuge for those sorry asses who sip Hot Coco and watch Somewhere in Time with gurlz.. keyrist! :blink:

Fuk! I need a Douche :huh: Oh, an I don't wanna go to another site to look at yer posterior.. No thanks :rolleyes:

:blum: :lol:

:jester:

Whew!!

Thanks for snapping me out of it, BJ. I was stuck in a state of uncontrollable seriousness.

But I'm feeling much better now...

:fuck:

Yer welcome Fred.

'twas the least I could do for a guy who helped to assure I stay warm and dry on me scoot. ;)

It worked out really well :) till the snow came and the roads got bad.

:jester:

Thanks for the write-up Fred, very well done! The first kit that i made was adding material to the factory silver piece. This then was too thick and caused the plastic lens to not fit well against the case. I then made this set that is a bit thinner and is super easy to install being precut and punched just like the origional.

Here is a link: V46

Thanks for the write-up Fred, very well done! The first kit that i made was adding material to the factory silver piece. This then was too thick and caused the plastic lens to not fit well against the case. I then made this set that is a bit thinner and is super easy to install being precut and punched just like the origional.
Here is a link: V46

Glad to see that you have them up for sale! Buy these reflectors if you have a v46 they make a world of difference!

Not to toot my own horn but that is my v46 case demo'ing the reflectors at Real Time. I contacted Alex in October to see if he could make these reflectors so I wouldn't have to pay Twisted Throttle $33 for a set. They are super well made and really make your bike stand out. Good write up on the install Fred!

RCook

Ummm... thanks RCook.

But that's my blue V46 in those pictures for sure. I sure recognize my office carpet and the dirty white desk surface behind the reflectors!! :rolleyes:

Unless you mean the 2 pictures at the top center and right that are very dark. Those ones must be yours as I don't have a "chiltlens at play" sign anywhere here... ;)

Ummm... thanks RCook.
But that's my blue V46 in those pictures for sure. I sure recognize my office carpet and the dirty white desk surface behind the reflectors!! :rolleyes:

Unless you mean the 2 pictures at the top center and right that are very dark. Those ones must be yours as I don't have a "chiltlens at play" sign anywhere here... ;)
Yeah the dark ones, showing the reflectivity in the dark, those are mine. I didn't realize that Alex was working with you as well to get these made, we must have both contacted him about the same time with the idea. Great minds and all. :)

I already have a kit designed on my e52 as shown below. I will however see if i can dissamble the red clear plastic to see if there is a way to insert some of this red diamond material.

E52 kit

e52ref_thumb.jpg
e52_thumb.jpg

e52rearside_thumb.jpg
e52fullrear_thumb.jpg