Weird electrical problem

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harald

"Superior Gen 4" Rider
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
I know what I'll be doing over the Christmas break: troubleshooting my FJR that has been infected with Gremlins. :angry2: Maybe I should install that Gremlin bell someone gave me a while back? <_<

Unrelated (as far as I know) to any maintenance on the bike, earlier this year my headlights flickered off for a second or two and came back on again. It would happen periodically with the only common denominator being my selecting something on the left handlebar switch (HI beam switch, turn signals or windshield adjust). Normal troubleshooting didn't help me narrow it down by slowly actuating switches fully or only partially and pressing at odd angles. Also flexing the wire bundle going down the handlebars didn't recreate the problem.

One especially odd situation occured while getting on the freeway and moving over 5 lanes to get in the HOV lane. Even though the low beams were selected, the high beam indicator on the instrument panel was flashing on and off (and I'm trying to remember, but it might have been in time with the turn signal flash).

The final straw last night was as it was getting dark and I was 15 miles from home. I started the bike after an errand and the high beam indicator and both turn signal indicators on the instrument panel were on, but the headlights were both off. $hit! :angry2: I can't ride home in the dark with no headlights. After operating the lt handlebar switches and wiggling the wire bundle, the headlights came on and dash lights went off. Whew! But on the ride home the same problem occured and wiggling wiring again appeared to get the headlights working again. The final straw was after stopping at the mailbox and riding off when the headlights died again as I'm heading up my long and very dark private road through the woods.

At this point I'm actually happy because I'll take a hard failure over an intermittent problem any day of the week. But I only had limited time to work on the bike, so unless there was a quick fix I was going to have to take the truck a couple days.

I started the bike in the garage and then hit the kill switch so that the headlights would stay on (which of course they won't because the Gremlins have diverted current down some abnormal path). At this point I also notice another problem: the windshield motor sounds like it running continuously. Wow, it's getting more interesting all the time! :huh: Moving the windshield adjust switch in either direction stops the motor running and in one direction the neutral light also goes out. Keeps getting weirder! :(

So I pull the left handlebar switch off and remove the left handlebar to completely free the wire bundle. All the flexing, pulling, bending and scrunching in the world and no help. I pull left side plastic and disconnect the left handlebard switch connector. Ringing back into the handlebar switch and all switches work normal and no wire is shorted to ground. Duh! I forgot to ring across all wires to check for cross shorts, so that'll be first on the list when I get back to it later this week.

Some might wonder why I'm doing this work when I have lots of years left on the YES warranty, but I can already see the dealer wanting to blame all my farkles for the problem. So if nothing else, I want to make sure my wiring mods are not the problem . And I can just see the bike working fine when they look at it, which will probably lead to shotgunning of parts and extended downtime while the bike sits in the shop. I have modded the horn wiring (original horns are paralled off the Stebel horn and the horn switch is used to pull the coil in the relay) although the horns work like normal and have never had a problem. I also tapped into the tail light wire for the AVCC, ran power for a switched power strip in the tail and did the Barbarian mod.

So the plan is to more thoroughly ring out the left handlebar switch and also check the computer connector in case the Barbarian mod led to loose pins or shorting. In the little time I spent looking at the wiring schematic, I was pulling my hair out trying to find that common link that could cause all those same symptoms at the same time. At this point I can only hope that the hard failure stays until I figure out what's happening.

I don't usually throw problems out there until I figured them out (which I will this weekend), but thought I'd see if anyone has had a similar issue that can point me in the right direction and speed up the process. Less time fixing means more time riding! :yahoo: In any case, I'll report back what I found.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you go the disease.
Grounding block thread

Read the symptoms in post 15. Sounds similar.
Thanks for the tip. It does sound like I'm having the same symptoms. Earlier this year, I checked all the grounding spiders (including the one under the tank on the left side) I could find and all looked good and were cleaned and reassembled with dielectric grease. Maybe I missed one? I seem to remember a post with pictures of all of them, so I'll have to search for that one.

Haven't had a chance to work on the bike yet, but definitely this weekend!

QUOTE (Harald @ Dec 24 2009, 06:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

... I seem to remember a post with pictures of all of them, so I'll have to search for that one.

It is that front left one under the tank that is the most probable cause.

Do these pictures help?

The first three are under the tank

(Click any image for larger view)

The left of the two pictures below is under the left fairing, the other picture under the front fairing.

[edit]If you do need to take off the front fairing, try the "here" link in my post Fairing Replacement, My "How To"

Good luck!

Harald,

It's not just the spider grounds, it's all of the harness connectors as well. Try opening up the ones you can find, and see how much corrosion is floating about in there.

Harald,
It's not just the spider grounds, it's all of the harness connectors as well. Try opening up the ones you can find, and see how much corrosion is floating about in there.

Add a little di-electric grease to them when you put them back together too

Harald,
It does appear to be an intermittent fault in one of the ground wires. You can use some commercially available contact cleaner (non-lube type) to clean the connectors and then coat with some di-electric grease during re-assembly. This will help slow any corrosion issues with the connectors.

My ground problem was not under the fuel tank. Mine was under the left side panel by the underside of the glove box. Be sure to check all of them, mine was just yellow and starting to look "hot".

My problem sounds alot like yours, and hopefully Yamaha will crawn out the cracks of hell and recall this problem. When my dealer talked to them, they said we havn't had any problems... Be sure to file a complant with the NTSB.

Good luck, Smitty

Harald,

Add a little di-electric grease to them when you put them back together too
Thanks guys. I had previously checked, cleaned and dielectric grease many connectors on the bike, but there's obviously a problem one that I missed. Even though I'm sick and even threw up this morning, I'm heading to the garage to check it out because I'm dying to figure out what my problem is.

Definitely sounds like a bad ground and voltage back feeding all over causing weird things. And it sounds like it's one or both the spiders up in front fairing, just because it sounds like everything affected is in the dash/fairing area.

The FSM shows were all the affected things you mention are grounded together.Headlight, front left and right signal, horn switch, windshield switch. <_< Looks like a spider.

I'm taking my bike apart to send forks out, so I WILL be cleaning and lubing ALL connectors, and those friggin spiders.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Definitely sounds like a bad ground and voltage back feeding all over causing weird things. And it sounds like it's one or both the spiders up in front fairing, just because it sounds like everything affected is in the dash/fairing area.
I'm afraid you're probably right about which spiders are my problem. I've checked, cleaned and lubed all the other 5 that I've found, so there's just those 2 left. I didn't feel up to pulling the front fairing yesterday, so that's next on my list. Thanks to a link in the FAQ, I have directions printed out to simplify pulling the front end. It'll probably be later this week before I get another chance to tackle this problem.

On a personal note, I'm not too upset about not riding because I almost slipped on my A$$ on my driveway this morning while walking to the truck due to ice. I probably wouldn't have ridden in to work today anyway. :glare: :blink: :eek:

I'm in the process of doing the same thing.

I pulled the front fairing.

100_1267.jpg

I found one spider on the right. Pretty much behind the headlight connector.

100_1264.jpg

And one on the left in almost the same spot.

100_1265.jpg

And another one on the left in with all the other connectors.

100_1266.jpg

I aslo disconnected cleaned and lubed every other connector I could find.

S76

I had my fairing assembly off last year, and if I recall it comes off complete, with all the gages, shield assem., wiring harness. Then it gets disassembled on the bench, and it wasn't that hard to do that way. The hardest part was removing all the lower fairing and A,B,C,D, panels. It looks like you took the plastic off, leaving the guts on the bike. That must have been a bitch. The same goes for reassembling. If the fairing assembly is all assembled it's a plug and play deal. Not to bad really.

Did you do it that way so you could run it ? Or maybe you put the stuff back on so you could run it.

Just sayin

A.C.

S76
I had my fairing assembly off last year, and if I recall it comes off complete, with all the gages, shield assem., wiring harness. Then it gets disassembled on the bench, and it wasn't that hard to do that way. The hardest part was removing all the lower fairing and A,B,C,D, panels. It looks like you took the plastic off, leaving the guts on the bike. That must have been a bitch. The same goes for reassembling. If the fairing assembly is all assembled it's a plug and play deal. Not to bad really.

Did you do it that way so you could run it ? Or maybe you put the stuff back on so you could run it.

Just sayin

A.C.

LOL

Thanks. I'll have to take a look into that. I had no reason for doing it that way other than not knowing any better.

I just searched out all the screws that held the plastic on an took them out. Then the plastic came right off.

One of these days I just may take that sealed plastic bag off of my Service manual! Guess I'll just have to run the risk of it getting dirty. I am actually rewiring all of my farkles so it's probably good that I am able to power up and all.

As a mater of fact I found an aftermarket relay I had installed that got water in it and was FULL of rust. I have no idea how it even worked, which is the main point of these winter time exploratory surgeries, to find these types of things. I would have had a Gerbings failure in the spring for sure. Or, you might say, that relay would have left me out in the cold.

Oh, just one question though, do you have to remove the steering head bearings to change the front tire? LOL

Damn, you fellers ain't afraid of the plastic gods.. just sayin'.. I've been reluctant to take the nose piece off myself. Guess I'll have to summon the courage one of these days.

Good luck finding the bad spider..

Damn, you fellers ain't afraid of the plastic gods.. just sayin'.. I've been reluctant to take the nose piece off myself. Guess I'll have to summon the courage one of these days.
Or....

You could wait, hit another deer THEN check wires and play with dielectric grease at that time?

You'll have to hit it good and hard this time to crack the headlights/housing tho. Keep that in mind.

or...a tree would work too, j'es sayin' ;)

When you get around to summoning the courage, I'd suggest referencing Kaitsdad's well documented Nose Fairing Removal procedure. It's on my agenda for this extended weekend, so I'll see how easy it is. Hopefully it won't take 12 hours! :dribble:

Latest posts