Auxiliary light mounts and brackets from Alex

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alex

Reaction score
This project started as I wanted to replace my existing auxiliary halogen lights with some inexpensive HID lighting. It has now progressed into 2 separate projects. First I’m producing a solid universal mount that will support virtually any light that we use on our FJR's. This design will minimize the torsional stress that is transferred to the fairing stay. Second is a bracket that will both support and provide adjustability to an inexpensive set of 4” HID lights. My goal here is to provide a well designed product at a great price.

It has taken me a lot longer than I would have liked to get to this point, but we are nearing completion. I wasn’t going to be satisfied until the function, fit, finish were near perfect. Needless to say I’ve gone through several design changes and prototypes.

One thing to keep in mind is that these brackets are not simply something that I cut out at home and bent on my vice. The measurements were taken from my 07, and then drawn up in AutoCAD. Then the prototypes were laser cut from 16ga steel, allowing me to get a product that was lightweight but would not crack after extended use. The light brackets are only 2.6oz each. These flat pieces are then tumbled to remove any sharp edges before I bend them using a press brake. I had the brake lines etched into the metal which ensures uniformity among each bracket. Finally, in order to give them a long lasting nice appearance, all of the brackets will be powder coated black.

One last thing I wanted to make you aware of is that with this design, in the event of a spillover, the brackets and lights are protected. I really tried to keep the costs down to a minimum. The setup will run about $50-55 for a pair of mounts, and $50-55 for the brackets.

I will update this area when the brackets are ready to be mailed. We are still looking at 2-3 weeks out due to the fact that some of my suppliers are off for extended Christmas breaks.

Thanks!

Alex

Light mounts now available to order here: My link

10.jpg
11.jpg

12.jpg
13.jpg

14.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That looks like it will end up nice!Any idea if it will fit GenI?
I would have to get my hands on a GenI mirror to see it the rubber boot will fit inside the bracket. Both mirrors use a dual post mount so I would imagine that they will.

Alex, these are looking good, thanks. Do you have any pictures of the mirror part of the bracket? You mention that these will protect the lights from a tip over, so can I assume that the mirror part of the bracket will be front facing similar to the Skyway type brackets?

Alex,

<----- seen on avatar: On my '08 FJR I had a set of 4" Soltek Fuegos mounted on Skyway's mounts. They worked out well with never a problem. This included the mating with '05 FZ1 mirrors and the use of a VStream windscreen. Now it's time to mount some Fuegos on my '09 FJR. Again, I have '05 FZ1 mirrors and a VStream windscreen. Will your universal light mounts work with 4" Solteks and the mirrors/windscreen that I have? If so, I'm ready to buy a set. I won't be using the off-brand 4" H.I.D. lights or the brackets that are mentioned in this thread. I will only need your universal mounts.

Thanks,

George R.

Things are finally starting to take shape. I purchased a new pan brake that can handle precise repeatable bends. I'm going to have some free time this weekend so hopefully I can make some long overdue progress on this project. I will post up my results.

Sorry for dragging this out longer than it should have taken. I know there are a few members following this with anticipation.

I'm ready when you are
I just bought a FJR and I'm in the process of farkling. Dash shelf, switch box, power plate ect. Need to be finished the week of April 1st. For a long ride. Any chance these will be ready before then. I like the design and am buying Baja Fuego lights.

Well, I just finished up with the mirror mount bracket design tonight. This is revision 51 or around there. ;-) I wanted the top mounting surface to be nice and level. The light will be at least 1/4 of an inch from the shield or mirror surfaces. This will hopefully work on any bottom mounted light and with virtually all the available windscreens out there.

Thanks for watching!

Well, I just finished up with the mirror mount bracket tonight. This is revision 51 or around there. ;-) I wanted the top mounting surface to be nice and level. The light will be at least 1/4 of an inch from the shield or mirror surfaces. This will hopefully work on any bottom mounted light and with virtually all the available windscreens out there.
Thanks for watching!
Let me be the first to congratulate you! :clapping: :clapping: :yahoo:

So how much? ;)

Well, I just finished up with the mirror mount bracket tonight. This is revision 51 or around there. ;-) I wanted the top mounting surface to be nice and level. The light will be at least 1/4 of an inch from the shield or mirror surfaces. This will hopefully work on any bottom mounted light and with virtually all the available windscreens out there.
Thanks for watching!
Let me be the first to congratulate you! :clapping: :clapping: :yahoo:

So how much? ;)
I'm not exacty sure yet. I will get them cut tomorrow or Thursday at the latest then I'll bend them up this weekend. I'll then rush them through our powder coating facility and hopefully be ready to ship the end of next week!

I would have to get my hands on a GenI mirror to see it the rubber boot will fit inside the bracket. Both mirrors use a dual post mount so I would imagine that they will.
Alex,

Did you ever get your hands on a Gen I mirror to see if your mounts will work? If not, PM me with your address and I'll ship one to you for evaluation.

Thanks,

John

Alex,

Did you ever get your hands on a Gen I mirror to see if your mounts will work? If not, PM me with your address and I'll ship one to you for evaluation.

Thanks,

John
John, are you wanting to put a set on your bike? I can mail you a set to make sure they fit before you send any form of payment.

Thanks

Alex,

Thanks,

John
John, are you wanting to put a set on your bike? I can mail you a set to make sure they fit before you send any form of payment.

Thanks
Thanks Alex, but I'm satisfied with my Skyway brackets and was just offering a mirror for evaluation. FWIW, a few more detailed photos might help others decide on a purchase along with a definite price on those nice looking brackets.