FJ1300RT Reverse Trike Concept

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nofreeride

Reaction score
OK, Nitrotate is actually doing it. I'm just still thinking about it. I have acquired a donor bike now, gotten a little capital to get started, and spent a lot of time designing on Sketchup. The results so far:

fjr1.jpg

Comments and questions welcome. The general requirements are: side-by-side seating, windshield, front cycle fenders, and no fancy time-consuming body. The donor is actually an '04 FJR, even though the bike in the photo was lifted from some other sketchup model. The overall dimensions of the bike, tank, etc, match the FJR very closely.

Last edited by a moderator:
Would be interesting to see this in reality.

I would think a Busa would make a better platform for this though.

I am following Nitrotrades build closely, and have been wondering what he will do to make the body look finished in some way. I can see from your sketch that you are thinking of just using the cage for the looks ala dune buggy, the lights fit that as well, and I think that's the best idea to keep it simple.

Go for it!

GalaxyBlue,

I think the point is that if members wanting to do a project like this here can get cheap wrecked FJRs as donors, then it's a bike they are already familiar with in technical terms, which will save them from any surprises, or at least that would be the hope.

I always think it's cool when someone takes the time to build something, weather I like it or not it's the effort.

Here is a shot of something like your talking.

T_REX_3_wheeler.jpg

Keep us posted.

I would think a Busa would make a better platform for this though.
Is that because of the high horsepower engine, or are there other reasons? The FJR has an AE model (no shift linkage or clutch needed). If I were to make plans or a kit available (cart WAAaaaY before the horse here), that would be an interesting option. 145HP at just over 1000lbs is a very, very good ratio in the car world.

that Campagna T-Rex is certainly hot.
The T-Rex has inspired many home-builts and knock-offs. With CanAm, they are carving a niche and paving the way for 3-wheeled vehicles. Add the traditional trikes and various electric and hybrid lightweight vehicles, this is an expanding market. Would it appeal to people to be on the road in something like this for under 10K? (I know... cart, horse, whatever. Talk is cheap.)

Yellow Roadster: This one would put bugs in your teeth. But looks pretty good.

(couldn't find the picture. stupid webshots. Showed a cut down windshield and roll bar, no roll cage.)

Got a bunch of front suspension parts and assembled some of the parts. Pinto rack widened 4", with Pinto 2" dropped spindles. Now I will need to get back on the computer and design the crossmember so all of the geometry will be correct (hopefully).

fjr2.jpg

Take a look at this one - it's BMW-based, but it shouldn't be too hard to slip another brand/model in:

Side%20(Large).jpg

Clicky

(I've been telling him he'd be better off to go with an FJR or a Gold Wing. He can't find a way to put a car tire on the BMW swing arm, and he goes through motorcycle tires every couple thousand miles...)

Redesign. Shown with body in unpainted aluminum.

(see first post. design did not change significantly. stupid webshots.)

Making progress slowly. Here are some more photos.

fjr3.jpg

fjr4.jpg

fjr5.jpg

fjr6.jpg

Wheelbase ~ 118"
Width ~ 69"
Length will be ~ 144"
Ground Clearance ~ 6"

nofreeride,

I like your second CAD version better. Have you calculated the weight distribution F/R, and weight as taken at each wheel? I wonder if nitrotate has done this as well? In his video, the wheel spin is crazy! (Granted - no CT yet and he does have a wing). You mention power to weight ratio. In the car world, the Ariel Atom has been the recognized standard in this type. (They have a spec page that tracks power to weight and performance). I guess what I'm getting at is that has anyone considered how to best lay that power down? IDK. Thoughts?

nofreeride,

I guess what I'm getting at is that has anyone considered how to best lay that power down? IDK. Thoughts?
Yeah-add another rear wheel. Kinda screws the concept though. With Traction Control coming on-line in bikes more and more though, a fix lies in the near future.

Latest posts