What happens if cigarette lighter gets wet?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DELETE-PLEASE

Reaction score
It has a cap so I keep it closed, Its fused and I installed it on the panel where it slopes down (so gravity would keep water OUT of it). But what actually happens if it rains while my heAdset is plugged in (waterproof headset)? Or the cap pops open and it's raining? Will the fuse just pop and it's time for a new adaptor? Or does it equal bike explosion and death? Or something inbetween? Basically I have about a three hour ride and it's rainingthe whole way. I'd like tunes though and am willing to risk a $5 cigarette adaptor (if that's all I'll be risking)

alexi

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm certainly not an electrical Guru but I would guess if it got wet enough you would experience a direct short to ground which would blow the fuse. As long as the fuse is sized properly, I would not think you would damage anything else.

If your install has a properly installed fuse the two very worst things that could happen would be a popped fuse and the chance for rust and corrosion to develop over time.

FWIW:

Pure water, without any contaminants or natural substances like salt has very high electrical resistance and most low voltage, DC powered electrical items like lamps, batteries and outlets will work totally submerged. If the electrical item gets wet often, the presence of electricity and water can set up a galvanic reaction which would promote corrosion. Rain isn't pure, plus it sluices off any contaminates on the faring which may include soap residue. This most likely won't cause a fuse to blow but over time it will cause damage to the outlet.

If a motorcycle were to be submerged in absolutely pure water all the electrical systems (less the engine, coils and ECU) would continue to operate until the battery becomes discharged. The length of time they would run would be roughly the same as if it were dry, in your driveway. If the motorcycle were submerged in salt water the power duration could be as low as 15-25% of a dry motorcycle.

Popped fuse and possability of corrosion I can deal with. I'm about halfway home (taking breaks so the wife and I can warm up) and we'll try the other half with some tunes. Thanks guys.

Alexi

My suggestion is go to a marine supply store and pick one up , they are made to get wet and swap it , should be easy since it is already wired.

Low voltage perhaps but plenty of amps. Do not stick your damp finger in there to wipe it dry ! At least not while riding. In the garage it could be funny if there's witnesses and a camera. :p

I had such a Radio Shack outlet on the fairing of my VFR. Used it in the rain all the time, on a part of the fairing not protected from the elements, and never had a problem.

Now that I think about it, I wonder if any water that got in there just ran out the bottom. IIRC it wasn't a closed design.

:eek:fftopic:

Low voltage perhaps but plenty of amps. Do not stick your damp finger in there to wipe it dry ! At least not while riding. In the garage it could be funny if there's witnesses and a camera. :p
I'll take that challenge, bring the camera.

I work with high voltage -- 5 million volts RF and up to 10 million volts DC, I believe that puts me in the arena. Last week resulted in a little smoking hole in my left hand caused by 300 VDC, this morning's carelessness resulted in two entry burns and two exit burns from 500 VDC. It's part of the job, when circuits don't work right sometimes high volts show up where you least expect it. It's even harder on the lab equipment.

Due to the resistance of skin, you may not feel DC voltages in the 60 volts DC range but 60 VAC will definitely get your attention. As the AC frequency goes up so does the pain for any given voltage level; 60 VAC at 60 cycles hurts, 60 VAC at 1,000 cycles hurts much worse.

I have had a tech get hit in the metal frame of his glasses with 160,000 VDC, the voltage ran down his face, across his body from one side to the other, then exit just above the hip. It cooked parts of his internal organs as it passed through. OUCH! It took him almost a year to recover. A few years ago I worked with an engineer that got across 2,000 VDC. It knocked him backward out of his chair resulting in broken vertebra in his neck. They had to take pieces from his hip bone and whittle it into shims that got inserted in his neck vertebra via the front of his neck.

When I tell you 12 VDC at 1,000,000 amps is safe to touch, trust me. Now, on to the output from the coils... :evilsmiley03:

Darn ! :p Sounds like you have a potentially deadly job there Ionbeam. :eek: Take care , I enjoy reading your posts.

Warning: DO NOT let the smoke escape from your wiring. :nono:

That's when things get expensive. :rolleyes:

:eek:fftopic: I'll take that challenge, bring the camera.

When I tell you 12 VDC at 1,000,000 amps is safe to touch, trust me.
Up until a few years ago you would've gotten full agreement from me. This subject was being discussed and I was in your camp (not with your experience, but a lifetime around small voltages and an interest in same). A friend said, take a common 9v. battery and touch the contacts to your tongue -- I was shocked (literally). :eek:

I've been running with a cheap Autozone "all weather" cig lighter outlet in panel A on my FJR for about 5 years now, many torrential rains, and no problems yet. It has a foam type of seal and a firm spring to keep the lid closed. Just a scant bit of corrosion over the years now.

-worldbound4now