Project Bike Locker moves forward... Working Prototype on bike

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sportsguy

searchgeek - author
Reaction score
Right, so I can't find the original thread where I first started this project, so, I'll collate the images in this thread.

The design spec:

1 - waterproof tank bag

2 - slash proof

3 - lockable

4 - needs to carry my camera, wallet and a few other odds and ends

Now, by lockable, I wanted a bag I could lock as well as that it could be locked to the bike.

First came the cardboard mock up:

2680096080048658291S500x500Q85.jpg

Next was how to mount to the bike, so I went with a fuel cap ring mount I found online and modified it. You can see it here with the aluminum cross bar I made. This mounts to an aluminum mount using the two front gas tank bolts. It also articulates upwards to allow access to the fuel cap.

2271824910048658291S500x500Q85.jpg

The next mock up I carved from foam - literally three layers of pink insulation glued together, then carved to roughly the shape I was trying for:

2769597360048658291S500x500Q85.jpg

2055383790048658291S500x500Q85.jpg

Tonight I got busy for a few hours with some thin sheet metal to start the metal mock up:

First was the bottom half/tray that'll mount on the aluminum cross bar:

2619673400048658291S500x500Q85.jpg

After bending a top, we end up with this version, minus the sides needed to finish it - to say this is rough is an understatement:

2237066630048658291S500x500Q85.jpg

2139066800048658291S500x500Q85.jpg

2387981870048658291S500x500Q85.jpg

Crappy pics by iPhone.

If this progresses further, I'd like to finish the interior with some neoprene for padding and the exterior with textured paint. I may also opt to try either a local metal working shop to construct another version of the box, or maybe a local fiberglass company to build one that way - we'll see. Just having fun playing now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Love the idea. I don't recall ever seeing a hard shell lockable tank bag on the market. If the gas cap mount could be adapted to lots of different motorcycles, this could have much broader application and appeal. Fiberglass might be the way to go to get the shape you want. It could be laid directly over the foam plug, depending on the foam (some foams will disintegrate with the application of the resin). Keep us posted on your progress.

McMinnville, eh? I'm planning a run down there to oogle the Spruce Goose this summer. Maybe by then I'll have this project finished up. :)

McMinnville, eh? I'm planning a run down there to oogle the Spruce Goose this summer. Maybe by then I'll have this project finished up. :)
I live maybe two miles from the air museum and I drive past it twice a day, and I still haven't gone to see the Spruce Goose. Go figure.

Maybe I'll just ride down there and drag your ass over to the joint. I recent heard that for $50 you can tour the cockpit of the Goose. :) I'm definitely in for that!

Maybe I'll just ride down there and drag your ass over to the joint. I recent heard that for $50 you can tour the cockpit of the Goose. :) I'm definitely in for that!

I saw it years ago when it was down in So Cal with the Queen Mary. I don't believe there was the option of touring the cockpit then though. That does sound interesting. Another excuse for a ride! Yay!

...and now someone from Mt. Vernon chimes in... from the location where we bought our Roadster... :) *waves to Mt. Vernon* :D

...and so, an update...

I've taken this project down two separate paths:

1 - the originally planned hard shell project

2 - a water resistant, soft sided unit

To make things easier, I have removed the aluminum bars strung across the top of the gas tank. Partly this was due to the interference I encountered after installing the Heli Clamp and relo-ing the handlebars. The new arcs the handle bars rotated through made contact with the original upright bolted to the original front gas tank mounting bolts. Cool bit of work, now resting on the shelf doing it's best to catch dust...

Knowing that getting to the hard shell version was going to take time, I almost threw in the towel and went with a simple magnet mount tank bag.

After searching forever, I found the Chase Harper MANTA X2 bag (you'll need to scroll down the right hand side to find it - a little more than half way down). This unit (another view), when mounted as I have, has zero interference with the handle bars at full lock. I know this is a "detail", but it was a goal I set to reach - no touching that could result in flipped switched, etc.

Now, this soft-sided version was meant more to hold me over until the hard shell unit is done - if the quotes prove reasonable enough to pursue it, that is... ;)

For now, let's review the SOFT Sided version I now have to try out:

I used the tank mount system from Luggage Locker (Les, the owner, has been great to deal with.). The mounting system itself consists of the ring which mounts to the tank, and another ring that mounts to the bag. His system has a dedicated base plate with a zipper, but he sold me the mounting hardware itself separately. :) Here's a pic of the mounting system with his plate on it, installed on a Suzuki... I think it'll be strong enough for my needs...

Block1a.jpg

The two rings fit one inside the other, and a simple twist secures the rings, then a barrel lock locks the rings together. Here are some pics of the mounted rings and the tank bag install. The really nice thing about an install like this is it keeps the tank OFF the paint of the bike. :) I'm also including a short video to show how the unit actually mounts onto the bike, in action.

Video clicky - FYI, in the video I call it a "manta XL, and it is really a "Manta X2"... ;)

Making with the photos to explain some of what I talked about in the video:

2133127620048658291S600x600Q85.jpg

2958266540048658291S600x600Q85.jpg

2140881670048658291S600x600Q85.jpg

2545627780048658291S600x600Q85.jpg

2176823970048658291S600x600Q85.jpg

2442052290048658291S600x600Q85.jpg

2861793250048658291S600x600Q85.jpg

2978070580048658291S600x600Q85.jpg

2622041440048658291S600x600Q85.jpg

2505134990048658291S600x600Q85.jpg

2910628420048658291S600x600Q85.jpg

2464762840048658291S600x600Q85.jpg

I can think of a couple questions that might come up, so I'll answer them now:

1 - it's a Sargent seat, and it's great

2 - the mounting cap is just shy of 3/4" tall

3 - the ring is ABS plastic

4 - no, I haven't washed the bike since I bought it home last June

Now, this bag is secured to the bike, so someone can't simply walk away with it. I'd need small locks on the zippers to really secure the contents, however. It's also "mostly water resistant", which might work for me, but only a real test will tell.

These main points of security and water proofness are what led me in the direction of a HARD sided tank bag. ;) You can see in the earlier posts on this thread, the foam and metal mocks ups for this idea, so I'll simply skip those points now and provide an update.

One fine, sunny Friday afternoon, I ended up at a local company which I was told could make the hard sided unit for me. Turns out, they could not make the final product, but they did outline the process for me and get me pointed in the right direction. So, last weekend, after a few prior days of chatting, I met the gent doing the 3D rendering and file compilation for me. I handed over an entirely reasonable sum of cashola, and he slipped me a USB drive with the files needed to power the machines to make the mold of the unit.

I'm expecting a quote from the model-making guys later this week (tomorrow, in fact). They are game to see if they can do this on the cheap for me, as I'm funding this out of my own wallet - the same one in the pics above, in fact. ;) (It's made of sail cloth and it rocks!) We're going to make the male buck out of 40 lbs foam. Ever held that stuff? Foam it is... and you'd be hard pressed to put a dent in it! Tough stuff. Tough enough to stand up to a small run of units, maybe... ;)

Anyway, I have the CAD work done, so now it's quote time. If the quote for the vacuum form mold comes back realistic, then I'll get that and the vacuum box built. After that is a run to Auburn to a company to actually make the vacuum formed units.

One step at a time, though. I need to see what the cost for the mold is first.

After that, I need to finish the unit to incorporate a hinge and locking mechanism, as well as some sealing around the joint. Oh, and I'll need to epoxy bases onto them as well!

IF this moves forward, the final product will be smooth ABS plastic and paintable to match the bike. :)

So there we go:

Soft-sided unit is complete for now and usable.

Hard-sided unit is still a work in progress.

Very cool stuff. You are talented.

My 2 cents...

The hard shell direction.... I would avoid anything "hard shell" especially metallic ones. In an accident, your chest or crotch may pay quite a price. Just sayin'. ;)

Very cool stuff. You are talented.
My 2 cents...

The hard shell direction.... I would avoid anything "hard shell" expecially metallic ones. In an accident, your chest or crotch may pay quite a price. Just sayin'. ;)
...considered that, in fact. :)

I'm looking at ways to ensure things are "breakaway" somehow - thinner base at that location, plastic bolts, etc. ;) Just need to find the balance between security and safety - we'll see how that goes. :D

Thanks for the compliments, too. :)

I really miss the long aluminum bars, Dwayne, as I was really looking forward to see how you might incorporate them on the next group ride.

050826-NatHOGRally-P8270125e.jpg

sportsGuy - did you ever check out Beeroux's "coffin" aluminum tank bag?

sportsGuy - did you ever check out Beeroux's "coffin" aluminum tank bag?
Yes, and I almost bought the original prototype from the guy who built them, if they are the same things. If not, I have seen pics and did almost buy another one, but opted to spend the money looking into my own solution. :)

Bring this back to life...

1 - vacuum mold was built

2 - units were produced

3 - test hinges and locks have been ordered

4 - still need to source/make mounts

5 - hoping to have at least one complete and paint matched prior to NAFO

2 - units were produced

Nice Job Sportsguy! Being in Aviation my whole life, It was my Life Long Dream to look at the Spruse Goose up close. I finally rented a two week time share in Las Vagas some years back.

I said: This is It!! I'm this close, by Golly I'm going to see it. We drove up to the Gate and asked which way to the Spruse Goose. She looked at me like if I were an alien from Outer Space and said:

I'm sorry Sir, The Spruse Goose got sent to Oregon last month! Yep, That's my luck! I missed it by a Freakin' Month. I have an Ex Navy Shipmate who Retired from NAS Whidbey Island WA and lives in Oak Harbor.

He said I can come up and crash in his house anytime I want. Gonna take him up on that some day soon. :D

2 - units were produced

Nice Job Sportsguy! Being in Aviation my whole life, It was my Life Long Dream to look at the Spruse Goose up close. I finally rented a two week time share in Las Vagas some years back.

I said: This is It!! I'm this close, by Golly I'm going to see it. We drove up to the Gate and asked which way to the Spruse Goose. She looked at me like if I were an alien from Outer Space and said:

I'm sorry Sir, The Spruse Goose got sent to Oregon last month! Yep, That's my luck! I missed it by a Freakin' Month. I have an Ex Navy Shipmate who Retired from NAS Whidbey Island WA and lives in Oak Harbor.

He said I can come up and crash in his house anytime I want. Gonna take him up on that some day soon. :D
Its worth it. Pay the extra money for the cockpit tour - they are private, and gives you about 15 minuts to hang out up there. The picture is nice, too. :)

My dad used to work for HH - well, one of his airlines, so he was 2/3 steps removed from the crazy bugger himself. He loved the tour. ;)