clicking noise found and fixed !!!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flynfjr

Reaction score
So like many I have been chasing a fairly loud clicking sound in the front end area of the bike for a long time. I re torqued the steering head bearings and have been through the brakes and the brakes do make noies as it has been reported when the pads move around. So where is it comming from... So I have it on the side stand and as I lean it over it goes click pop like a bearing that is not round setteling in the steering head. but it is not. So I am pulling on the left handle grip while on the side stand and getting it to click and it is pretty loud.. so now I am trying to put my hand all over the frame and bike and I reach down to the right side frame slider and can feel the cliking so guess what the motor mount was loose and when I re torqued it clicking gone. So check it out if you can not find the clicking it might be a loose frame slider bolt. Remember to tighten the left side first to 35lbs then the right to 35lbs and you are good to go.

I'll be installing my new sliders tonight and have read numerous times about torquing left then right (I'm glad I read this forum as the instructions from T-rex say just the opposite). Anyway, I'm curious on the reason why this is so important.

Mines been clicking for years, only hear it when going slow, like over the driveway 'curb bump' cement aproach aprons have. Head bearings didn't eliminate it and brake rotors weren't the problem. Maybe this is it for me too ?

Going for my first ride today since putting it away Dec. 10th. Before I do that, I'll back off those slider bolts and retorque per your suggestion. Here's hoping..

That was exactly part of my original problem. I still have some clicking but I don't think my mechanic continued around all of the bolts after he found the first one (right side slider bolt) as most of the clicking went away. It's back now. Going to drop it off while I'm gone this week to see if he can find anything else. Will let you guys know

Last edited by a moderator:
Another source of "clicking" from the front end are the brake rotors with floating retainers "buttons". When these wear it allows some forward and back movement of the rotors. Check by grasping a rotor and see how much movement there is front and back. Usually not a problem until 25k - 50k miles or so. While I don't have direct experience with the FJR , I just bought it to replace my BMW R1100RT, I did replace all of the buttons on one of the rotors on the BMW.

That was exactly part of my original problem. I still have some clicking but I don't think my mechanic continued around all of the bolts after he found the first one (right side slider bolt) as most of the clicking went away. It's back now. Going to drop it off while I'm gone this week to see if he can find anything else. Will let you guys know

Just talked to the shop, Miss Piggy is fixed :yahoo: :yahoo:

Turns out to be, yet again, the engine mounting bolts. Dan re-torqued them and all is well. I'll pick her up at lunch and check it out. I wonder if it's because they are Derlin (sp?) sliders and don't hold the torque? I vaguely remember a comment about torqueing up the Derlin sliders but can't remember what the concern was.

Anybody else have this problem?