Need help - Power Commander won't communicate with laptop

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dangerous Dave

The older I get, the faster I was...
Reaction score
I've put this off for quite awhile, because my daughter has had my laptop with her at college. Now that riding season is back (finally), I asked her to bring back my laptop over spring break so I could load a new map onto my PCIII USB. Well, doncha know that the PCIII doesn't appear to be communicating with the laptop. USB cable is good, as I plug it into my phone and it sees it right away. But with the bike running, USB cable plugged in, and Power Commander software open, I get nothing on the display. No RPM readings, no fuel map, no nothing. If I open a map file and try to send it to the PCIII, it says "error sending map file". So I'm getting no communication to the Power Commander. Anybody run into this befoe, or have any thoughts on the subject? Bike running ok with the old map, just wanted to try out a new one somebody shared with me.

TIA,

There are several things:

Make sure the USB cable is firmly plugged in at the PC end. You have to hear/feel it snap into place.

Make sure your 9V battery is good

If not either/both of those, call Dynojet Customer Service. They may be able to help you download latest software.

There are several things:
Make sure the USB cable is firmly plugged in at the PC end. You have to hear/feel it snap into place.

Definitely plugged in securely. Like I said, if I remove the mini end from the PCIII and plug it into my phone, it sees the phone right away, but sees nothing when plugged into the power commander.

Make sure your 9V battery is good

No 9v battery required if you're doing it with a laptop while the PCIII is connected to the bike and the bike is @ ignition on. With the bike running, it should show RPM on the laptop screen w/power commander software open. I get nothing. It's like the USB connector on the PCIII is dead.

If not either/both of those, call Dynojet Customer Service. They may be able to help you download latest software.

I shouldn't need the latest software to communicate. It's the same setup I used to load the map that's on there now. Same laptop, same cable, same PCIII, same bike. Just been awhile since connected to each other. And I'm sure I could call Dynojet on Monday, but my daughter will be back at OSU with my laptop by then. I was hoping somebody here knows how I can establish a connection that currently won't connect.

If you have nothing better to do, try plugging the 9V battery in. Mine has never worked without it, even if the bike is running.

Several people have reported suddenly having problems with their PC and needing to have the latest software downloaded to rectify it. You may be able to do it off the Dynojet site, without talking to anyone.

Just trying to help

smileysmack.gif

That would be you giving me the "bitch-smack" I deserve. Decided to try it again, and by golly, you do have to push that sucker into the Power Commander until it actually 'clicks'. Heard the click, laptop made the little Windows "found new hardware" sound, and the rest is history. Amazing how fast a map actually loads. Couldn't have taken 2 seconds, but popped up the box that said map loaded succesfully.

Thanks for the help and sorry I blew off your suggestion. You saved the day.
thumbsup.gif

I actually just had the exact same issue. You've got to stick that sucker in deep and hard to make both devices happy!

If you have nothing better to do, try plugging the 9V battery in. Mine has never worked without it, even if the bike is running.
Just put the "standard" program from Powercommander back in tonight and this was EXACTLY the case. Same as last time (two years ago) when I originally installed the "smoothness map" (a.k.a. the bad gas mileage map). I know it says both in the manual and here on the board that you don't need the 9V battery if the unit is plugged into the bike. But I've never found this to work, always need the battery. And yes, I've checked the plugs as above. What gives??? :worriedsmiley: