FJR vs. "patches of ice", snow?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phugedaboudet

Reaction score
been checking the traffic cams for my big ride next Wednesday, and it says by noon there's patches of ice and wet snow in places.

I figure I'll be hitting the passes by noon on the 7th. Now the extended forecast shows it to be a lot warmer, but if that's not the case, am I totally hosed?

Note: the reason I'm taking this trip so early in the season isn't for fun-I have a friend who has a really nasty condition that has caused what are essentially strokes. Each one does a bit more damage, and the last one has damaged memory and personality to the point that I'm not sure how much of my friend is still there. If I put this off too long, there might be nothing left but the lights on.

https://emedicine.medscape.com/article/946864-overview

https://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/condition=mitochond...okelikeepisodes

scary stuff, no?

So rescheduling is a last resort issue-about as bad as crashing. Especially since I won't know if the passes will be bad until the afternoon before I leave or the morning I take off. Work doesn't like too much drama in scheduled days off either.

Now I commute in the rain every time it rains, and have deliberately stepped out the back tire a tiny bit on occasion, and it seems to be smooth enough to bring back. Can I expect similar behavior on ice patches?

If it's patches of snow and ice like the picture below on the left...then it does pretty well if you can go slow, coast from paved spot to paved spot, and ponder using legs like outriggers. The typical tires we have on these things that are focusd on "sport" don't like it though and spin easily. If it's a covered area like on the right...not so good.

MW146439b.JPG

This sounds like a trip that can neither be missed or postponed and, as we know, we can't really depend on the weather to do what we want/need it to do. Personally, I would have the cage gassed up and ready should plan B be needed.

Safe travels and Godspeed to your friend.

By next Wednesday, you should be in what is predicted to be approximately the 3rd straight day** of sunny weather in the Sierras. This time of year, that means that I-80 and most of 88 should be clear of most residual icing by late morning (and no snow), typically with not much more than water on the road (but Carson Spur just west of Kirkwood on 88 might be a different story). The summit of 50 can be kinda like Carson Spur on 88. 120, 4 and 108 won't be open. You didn't say where you're going, but if it's only the Sierras you're traversing, I'd take 80, going past Colfax about 11 am, and you shouldn't have any trouble. 88 might be my second choice, and 50 next.

Iggy already nailed it on what you asked -- it's mostly tires, but also throttle control and braking control. Everything must be done in slow motion on slick stuff, with a good line, but don't stop on the snow or ice, either. Top heavy doesn't help, but that's not really the biggest issue.

** EDIT -- looks like this may be the second day of sunny weather -- forecast snow showers just shifted out another day to include Monday. I'd definitely take 80.

Last edited by a moderator:
After nearly crashing two years ago on a small patch of snow in a turn, I have re-thunk my ideas about riding when there is snow on the road. If there are forecast patches of ice, I would agree with the above post about taking the cage. These days, I just really don't wanna crash. Before I nearly ate it, I had already passed over that section of snow and ice without issue. I had to pass over it to get back home, and for some reason, using the same techniques but going the opposite direction things nearly went bad. I had resigned myself to taking the fall until I was able to save it.

Personally, I wouldn't risk it.

Good luck to your friend. Stuff like that is awful!

I once rode I84 across the Blues in northeast Oregon, packed snow. You can manage it if you see it coming and does not surprise you on a curve. Same as in a car, no sudden braking, accel, or turns. Everything must be done very smoothly.

I-5 all the way from where I get on it after Sacramento till I pull off a few miles from my mother's after Olympia

By next Wednesday, you should be in what is predicted to be approximately the 3rd straight day** of sunny weather in the Sierras. This time of year, that means that I-80 and most of 88 should be clear of most residual icing by late morning (and no snow), typically with not much more than water on the road (but Carson Spur just west of Kirkwood on 88 might be a different story). The summit of 50 can be kinda like Carson Spur on 88. 120, 4 and 108 won't be open. You didn't say where you're going, but if it's only the Sierras you're traversing, I'd take 80, going past Colfax about 11 am, and you shouldn't have any trouble. 88 might be my second choice, and 50 next.
Iggy already nailed it on what you asked -- it's mostly tires, but also throttle control and braking control. Everything must be done in slow motion on slick stuff, with a good line, but don't stop on the snow or ice, either. Top heavy doesn't help, but that's not really the biggest issue.

** EDIT -- looks like this may be the second day of sunny weather -- forecast snow showers just shifted out another day to include Monday. I'd definitely take 80.

My FJR handles snow/ice real well because it is in the garage when any is on the road. Nothing handles ice very well except for chains or studs. Personally, I wouldn't risk it on the FJR and take a cage/bus/plane/train. FWIW

You have two wheels, you need two wheels with grip if you want to stay up, UNLESS you are ok with going straight and have perfect balance :p

That being said, snow or ice on the road=I'm not on my motorcycle. The roads tend to have curves :)

I-5 all the way from where I get on it after Sacramento till I pull off a few miles from my mother's after Olympia
The Five isn't bad, but can be. I just did that run a couple weeks ago on the 12th, and again on the 14th going home. The coastal route will add about 150 miles, but more importantly, time. For my trip, Mt Shasta had 3-5" of snow, so the strait shot was out of the question. I did the coastal route, picking up 199 at Grants Pass to Crescent City, then 101 to Leggit and 20 back to the I-5 corridor. 20 takes 1.5 to 2 hours, depending on traffic and your rabbit.

On the way home the weather was better and I was able to do the strait shot up I-5. No issues in the Siskiyous at all. If you're leaving Sac early, you should be hitting the passes at the optimal time to get over ok. For me, I left Joshua Tree at 7am and just made it over the last of the high passes as the twilight faded. I stopped at the Weed Airport rest area just before sunset and added the heated liner.

If you're going to do it in two days, get over the passes and down to Grants Pass, then grab a room. You're golden after that this time of year. Most of the other passes on the way North are 2k or lower. Recent snow levels have been 4k.

Check out the ODOT Traffic cams - Trip Check You can click on WA or CA and get to their web sites too.

Oh, and to answer your original questions - Wet, fresh snow or well frozen snow are ok. Melting snow on a frozen ground, NOT GOOD. Cold snow on frozen ground also not real fun. Start following the wheel tracks of the vehicles in front of you and hope they don't disappear into packed snow. I've crossed the Siskiyous in 4" of fresh snow and don't recommend it, also starting snowing on me in Mt. Gate as I headed North one trip, again not a lot of fun and I was Real Happy tm when the snow became rain in Grants Pass.

I'm actually leaving from San Jose but I don't get to I5 until Sacramento.

it was checking the trip cams that got me concerned about snow in the first place :p I'll be checking them monday and tuesday as well as before I leave.

The Five isn't bad, but can be. I just did that run a couple weeks ago on the 12th, and again on the 14th going home. The coastal route will add about 150 miles, but more importantly, time. For my trip, Mt Shasta had 3-5" of snow, so the strait shot was out of the question. I did the coastal route, picking up 199 at Grants Pass to Crescent City, then 101 to Leggit and 20 back to the I-5 corridor. 20 takes 1.5 to 2 hours, depending on traffic and your rabbit.

On the way home the weather was better and I was able to do the strait shot up I-5. No issues in the Siskiyous at all. If you're leaving Sac early, you should be hitting the passes at the optimal time to get over ok. For me, I left Joshua Tree at 7am and just made it over the last of the high passes as the twilight faded. I stopped at the Weed Airport rest area just before sunset and added the heated liner.

If you're going to do it in two days, get over the passes and down to Grants Pass, then grab a room. You're golden after that this time of year. Most of the other passes on the way North are 2k or lower. Recent snow levels have been 4k.

Check out the ODOT Traffic cams - Trip Check You can click on WA or CA and get to their web sites too.

Oh, and to answer your original questions - Wet, fresh snow or well frozen snow are ok. Melting snow on a frozen ground, NOT GOOD. Cold snow on frozen ground also not real fun. Start following the wheel tracks of the vehicles in front of you and hope they don't disappear into packed snow. I've crossed the Siskiyous in 4" of fresh snow and don't recommend it, also starting snowing on me in Mt. Gate as I headed North one trip, again not a lot of fun and I was Real Happy tm when the snow became rain in Grants Pass.

There's also you're mental condition to worry about. I don't know you (obviously), but I know myself. And I would take the cage because:

1. I'll be worrying about my friend. Which will mean I'm other not paying attention to the road, or reacting way too strongly to any transgressions by other mindless drivers.

or

2. Reminiscing about happier times with my friend... not paying attention to the road, etc.

It's been 75F, partly cloudy and a light breeze, and I took my cage for similar visits. But... as I've said, I don't know you, and maybe the bike is the companion you need to make this trip bearable. Just be careful, and I am terribly sorry for your friend.

If you do encounter slippery stuff (ice/snow/mud) shift to a higher gear to reduce torque to the rear wheel. You might consider 2nd gear starts as well. That's my driveway in my avatar pic at left; I get lotsa practice with slippery; that white dot at the end is the street...