what causes my tire to wobble during deceleration

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

04FJR4ME

Reaction score
Need some help

Took the 04 FJR out for a spin and found the front time wobbles alot during deceleartion? Flat spot or thread seperation? Anything coming lose or apart that I should worry about?

I check the air pressure at is is at 42 PSI, I pump it up a few lbs to see if it will help and it appears to help slightly. The gauge is correct since I use two gauge to test the tire pressure.

Any recommendationis?

Thanks for the help

James

04FJR4ME

Last edited by a moderator:
Any recommendationis?
Yes.

Try searching on something like +front +wobble +deceleration and see the myriad of times this issue has been discussed. Here's even a shortcut to one of those searches that yielded at least two good threads on the often discussed subject.

Then, afterwards, if those things don't help, list what you did try to fix it and I'm sure folks would have new advice.

Just like front tire cupping, they all do it & it's supposed to. You can just feel it more in some than in others. Motorcycles steer straight, by themselves, by weaving (wobbling) down the road. If you look at a technical drawing, you'll see that it steers to the left & then self corrects to the right and so on. It does it at such a low amplitude that you normally don't notice it, especially with your hands on the bars, which tends to dampen the effect. When decelerating, there is more downward pressure on the front tire, which makes it harder for it to swing from side to side to self correct. (Stand by a bike & turn the bars & then do the same while sitting on the bike & the bars are harder to turn) In this case, the front tire goes further out before it self corrects each way & this is the front end wobble you feel, especially if you take both hands off the grips. Ever get a grocery cart where the front wheel wobbles? They steer the same way. Never take both hands off the grips especially when decelerating at 40mph or below & you’ll be O K. You can, however take both hands off your grocery cart. Later,,, De :)

Just like front tire cupping, they all do it & it's supposed to. You can just feel it more in some than in others. Motorcycles steer straight, by themselves, by weaving (wobbling) down the road. If you look at a technical drawing, you'll see that it steers to the left & then self corrects to the right and so on. It does it at such a low amplitude that you normally don't notice it, especially with your hands on the bars, which tends to dampen the effect. When decelerating, there is more downward pressure on the front tire, which makes it harder for it to swing from side to side to self correct. (Stand by a bike & turn the bars & then do the same while sitting on the bike & the bars are harder to turn) In this case, the front tire goes further out before it self corrects each way & this is the front end wobble you feel, especially if you take both hands off the grips. Ever get a grocery cart where the front wheel wobbles? They steer the same way. Never take both hands off the grips especially when decelerating at 40mph or below & you’ll be O K. You can, however take both hands off your grocery cart. Later,,, De :)

I had already logged out for the evening, and I just had to come back to say:

THANK YOU!

For having the energy to reply to this question in a clear, concise manner.

No issue, most of the time.

YMMV, IMHO, etc...

Shane

" Never told us which tires he's running....................."

Sorry, Bridgestone BT020

tyronewildman

thanks for the post, just never notice that before till now and was wondering if everyone else have the same issue?

Thanks for the respond.

04FJR4ME

I had already logged out for the evening, and I just had to come back to say:

THANK YOU!

For having the energy to reply to this question in a clear, concise manner.

No issue, most of the time.

YMMV, IMHO, etc...

Shane
You may be right that a motorcycle steers by self correcting itself, But if the tire's are right and everything else is right it should not wobble. My o5 had a wobble when I was running avon's right from the first day they were installed and yes the balance was correct it was the tire's that caused the problem. After putting on a set of strada's the problem has gone away.

If I were you I would take a good look at your front tire for improper wear.

Same here. I installed Avons and it started that day. I really like the tire in that it turns in so effortlessly and corners great but the wobble can get quite severe at times. I often take my hands off the bars for various reasons but am very cautious doing it now.

I'll never buy those stupid tires again! Should have known better considering where they are made.

I had a pretty bad front tire wobble on decel around 40 MPH when my recently replaced Avon (11K miles or so) was still being used. The new Pirelli shows no indication of a similar condition.

I've had the Avons now for almost 8,000 and no problems. Well, I do have one problem... I need to replace them because there is not tread left thanks to GalaxyBlue, but I don't have any extra money to buy a set of tires! Oh... I would have some extra money if I hadn't taken a couple days off after my vacation to get some sleep. :lol:

I've had the Avons now for almost 8,000 and no problems. Well, I do have one problem... I need to replace them because there is not tread left thanks to GalaxyBlue, but I don't have any extra money to buy a set of tires! Oh... I would have some extra money if I hadn't taken a couple days off after my vacation to get some sleep. :lol:
:fuck:

Hey, there are no... :lol: :p :eek: or ;) after your :fuck: .

Are you, :angry2: ?

;)

Hey, there are no... :lol: :p :eek: or ;) after your :fuck: .

Are you, :angry2: ?

;)
Nah, I am not :angry2: , I was just :lol: at you and your comments... It was :lol2:

Even though this thread got :eek:fftopic:

The PR's are better than the Avons, IMO :rolleyes:

I guess my first post will be the wobble post. Yes I have it on an 06. Z6's on mine. Didn't start until about 3k miles after a road trip of about 700miles or so straight up interstate drone kind of thing. That is when I noticed it. Between 40-50mph is where mine is at mostly. Tires do have a flat spot and some cupping. Took it in to get looked at, retorqued the steering head bearing, no help but they said it was a little loose. I agree since I could feel a little something with it on the ctr stand. I said what next, they said don't let go of the bars with both hands. I will leave what I thought next inside my own head since it is not very nice. But, seeing that this is an FJR thing, at least I feel a little bit better. Iwill try PR's next and see what happens.

i too have a wobble during decel. at approx 30-40 mph, again only if i let go of the bars. i dont think that should be! i have continentals on the bike i know there are a softer compound (i got a good deal) i will try to balance the tire then check the head . i will post my outcome ....thanks