2006 AE won't shift from neutral

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob R

Reaction score
After repairing/replacing front cowling Stay, mirror, upper and lower cowlings,(myself) the bike initially would not shift into first. after a few tries the shifting worked fine for a few days. Now the bike won't shift from neutral. all fuzes are ok. Last night I did get one shift into first but other attempts no shift. I did get "16" in diagnostic mode that was unable to erase. I am wondering if is the kickstand switch from accident or tipover switch?

I am hoping there are other options for me to check before seeking out a dealer. Any advice would be appreciated.

Rob R

Thanks for reply FJR Miss. I found that code in the SM. With the problem being previously intermittant, I hoped was just a bad connection and wondered what connections could be checked. Moving the wires into the hand shifter, both the finger shifter and foot lever is now working. I guess I need to remove the hand shifter and look inside for loose conection. I hope that I can erase this code to confirm that was the problem?

Rob R

Has the TPS ever been replaced on your bike?

Is/was there a recall that wasn't performed?

Are you sure it isn't the TPS?

Bike ran fine yesterday, very smooth shifting/running, however this morning.......... no shift into first with several attempts. Tried again hour later and shifted with no problems.

Mike- never had the TPS replaced. Warrentee work done so far was the Shift Actuator, ECU and ignition switch. When had the ignition switch recall done, I did ask dealer if any other recalls that could be done. They said no. I need to look further to see if there is a recall for TPS for this bike. Rolling the throtle in diag. mode, number go 16 - 101 with no skips.

Edit; I called dealer in West Palm Beach. No TPS recall for this bike. Service told me they had simular problems with older AE's that had original batteries. Mine is over 3 1/2 years old. He suggested replace the battery and see what happens.

Last edited by a moderator:
Installed new battery and have same problem. Sometimes will or not shift from neutral to first. I will just leave bike in 1st since can do with the AE untill I can find the problem myself or bring to a dealer to solve problem.

Bike seems to shift ok as long as I leave it in 1st gear when shutting down. No problems at all 1st to 5. Very smooth shifts, however when put in neutral - same problem. Sometimes will shift to 1st - mostly not. Is there something else that I can check myself before bringing to a dealer? Any guesses will be much appreciated.

Rob R

Hi all,
I´m having the same symptoms in my 2009 (intermittent shift from neutral to first and SH_16 on the dash)
sad.png

Did you find a solution to this??

Regards from Chile!

Pedro R.

There was something posted about the actual actuator, where it bolts to the engine, coming loose (basically NOT attached securely enough).

As I re-call reading here, Yamaha had a "KIT" to re-enforce the mounting of the actuator.

Here ya go:

.https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/168331-broken-shift-actuator-on-ae/?hl=shifting&do=findComment&comment=1314240

Also, post #3 specifically(re the kit):

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/121234-shift-51-code/?hl=++shift+++actuator+++broken

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts