Shift light and fault code trouble

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Longrifle

Reaction score
While riding home from work tonight on the Feej, I stopped for a red light and stopped in 1st gear. I didn't notice the shift light was on and trouble code "Sh _ _ 48" was displayed. As I attempted to accelerate, she was a no-go. I turned off the ignition and restarted and everything was fine, which cleared the fault code, but I'm still curious, did I do something wrong or is there something wrong with my AE.

I looked at a previous post, which mentioned something about an "AI Solenoid", what the heck is that? :blink:

I stopped for a red light and stopped in 1st gear. I didn't notice the shift light was on and trouble code "Sh _ _ 48" was displayed. As I attempted to accelerate, she was a no-go.
What exactly do you mean by no-go? When you throttled up from 1st gear, did the revs go up without the bike moving? Or could you not raise engine rpm?

The shift light coming on denotes that the system has sensed an error condition.

If I remember correctly (could be mistaken) , the Sh _ _ 48 code flashes when the sensor denotes a difference between engine speed and bike speed per gear selected ie a slipping clutch. But you'd have to check that to confirm.

I turned off the ignition and restarted and everything was fine, which cleared the fault code, but I'm still curious, did I do something wrong or is there something wrong with my AE.
When turning off ignition and back on, it will clear. This is normal. But it doesn't mean that the reason for the the error message is solved.

How many miles are on your bike?

Bruno

Montreal, Canada

https://pages.videotron.com/mcrides

(#1)Sorry if I wasn't clear. Your assumption is correct. It displayed 1st gear, but the RPM went up and it would not accelerate as if the clutch was slipping, while displaying the yellow shift light and fault code.

(#2) Just turned 3,300 miles.

I think I could have induced the problem by adjusting the idle speed a little and may have to roll it back a little to 1100 rpm at idle. My current idle is a little fast and may have fooled the computer and caused a slipping clutch? I don't understand why it continued to slip when I attempted to accelerate?

I think I could have induced the problem by adjusting the idle speed a little and may have to roll it back a little to 1100 rpm at idle. My current idle is a little fast and may have fooled the computer and caused a slipping clutch? I don't understand why it continued to slip when I attempted to accelerate?
Bingo, there lies your problem. The idle speed setting on the AE is crucial to function of the system.

Why would you feel the need to increase the idle speed?

(#1) Because it was working just fine before I fixed it.

(#2) Because I like tinkering with shit to see how it works.

(#3) Because I was seriously entertaining the notion that it would lessen the "feel" of hard shifting from from 1st to 2nd at low RPM. The AE shifts great at higher RPM and higher gears......so more is better?

I guess I do have my answer......put it back and leave it alone!

P.S. My sliders look bitchin'

(#1)Sorry if I wasn't clear. Your assumption is correct. It displayed 1st gear, but the RPM went up and it would not accelerate as if the clutch was slipping, while displaying the yellow shift light and fault code.
Typically, clutch engagement on a hot engine should be well complete by 2k rpm. Being in 1st gear, do you remember how high you took the rpm in trying to move it?

But that does sound a little odd. When the shift light goes on and you get an error message, the transmission locks in whatever gear that you happen to be in. You cannot either upshift or downshift. So, if you had been in 4th gear at a stop, you wouldn't be able to shift down to first and be relegated to try to accelerate away in 4th. But in the case of an error code, the auto clutch feature seems to be off. You'd have trouble getting the bike to move.

When you turn the ignition off and on again, the system recycles and functions normally until the next error detection.

(#2) Just turned 3,300 miles.
If it were my AE, I'd take it straight to the dealer for a look-see.

I think I could have induced the problem by adjusting the idle speed a little and may have to roll it back a little to 1100 rpm at idle. My current idle is a little fast and may have fooled the computer and caused a slipping clutch?
Doubtful, given your symptoms.

I don't understand why it continued to slip when I attempted to accelerate?
It should not continue to slip. You might try a couple of test runs tomorrow paying close attention and making mental notes of the results. Realize that if the system locks in 5th gear, you will have to decelerate the bike while in a normal mode 5th gear ie no auto clutch. That means that as the rpm gets lower, the engine will begin bucking in response to the gearing. This is the same as if you tried to come to a complete stop on a clutch bike while in 5th gear.

If that happens, an effective way to smooth out the last little part is to use the kill switch. Be alert that the actual stop will not be silky smooth. So you may want to choose the surface over which you stop ie flat and not slippery.

Hope that helps,

Bruno

Montreal, Canada

I raised the RPM to at least 5,000. It was really weird, It stayed in 1st gear and would not let me shift with the YCCS or the toe shifter. I even pulled on the end of the shift knob....Nada. It still rolled like it was in neutral. So I did the next best thing and restarted the engine and seemed to work fine.

P.S. I don't trust my dealer and kid mechanics.

Last edited by a moderator:
I raised the RPM to at least 5,000. It was really weird, It stayed in 1st gear and would not let me shift with the YCCS or the toe shifter. I even pulled on the end of the shift knob....Nada. It still rolled like it was in neutral. So I did the next best thing and restarted the engine and seemed to work fine.

That's high. Carrying out some tests tomorrow might be a good idea. But if things persist with error codes, you might want to play safe by ruling out something more serious just to be safe. At this point, it could be anything from way minor to a clutch that is glazed, slipping, fragmenting.

Hard to tell with the info available now. If it were my bike, I'd have it looked over if nothing else, to document the incident.

Bruno

Montreal, Canada

Last edited by a moderator:
While riding home from work tonight on the Feej, I stopped for a red light and stopped in 1st gear. I didn't notice the shift light was on and trouble code "Sh _ _ 48" was displayed. As I attempted to accelerate, she was a no-go. I turned off the ignition and restarted and everything was fine, which cleared the fault code, but I'm still curious, did I do something wrong or is there something wrong with my AE.
I looked at a previous post, which mentioned something about an "AI Solenoid", what the heck is that? :blink:
hello, the exact same thing happened to my 06 fjr AE today, I've had a recent gear sensor upgrade done just before I took ownership. Obviously I'm concerned that the problem will reoccur. What happened with yours, did the problem happen again?

Hi doddsy !

No, the problem never returned after I returned the idle. I've had the bike 1 year and 14,000 miles later with no error codes or any other problems. The bike runs great! See if your mechanic can look into your "gear sensor upgrade", which could be the obvious source of the problem. Good luck!

Hi doddsy !
No, the problem never returned after I returned the idle. I've had the bike 1 year and 14,000 miles later with no error codes or any other problems. The bike runs great! See if your mechanic can look into your "gear sensor upgrade", which could be the obvious source of the problem. Good luck!
Thanks, the bike has not done it again so I,m hoping that it was due to the extra heat when the bike came to a stop after riding continuously for a couple of hours in sun. I noticed the temp gauge was up a bit higher (3/4). The idle speed is reading at 1100rpm and the gear sensor upgrade was a factory solution to rectify the fault in the first place. Still got 1 year on the warranty so I'm covered anyway, Cheers for the advice.