"Proof of Insurance" For crossing into Canada

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

101stpathfinder

Trading miles for memories
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
I have checked requirements on various sites, still I am a bit confused by what exactly I need.

Went and got insurance (Florida requires none) through State Farm. They issue you a proof of

insurance card.Is this all I need? When I asked the agent about proof of insurance needed for

entry into Canada, he had no idea what I needed. Maybe a letter stating my insurance is valid

in Canada? Anyone who knows, I would appreciate enlightening me. Thanks......

I have checked requirements on various sites, still I am a bit confused by what exactly I need.Went and got insurance (Florida requires none) through State Farm. They issue you a proof of

insurance card.Is this all I need? When I asked the agent about proof of insurance needed for

entry into Canada, he had no idea what I needed. Maybe a letter stating my insurance is valid

I would suggest you speak with someone else at your insurance company - not the agent, but the company itself. My insurance company (ACSC) actually issues a paper "card" that is acceptable for Canada entry.

The card or piece of paper you have with the insurance carriers name (AAA, State Farm, etc...) and noting the insurance limits you carry is all you need.

From the U.S. Department of State;

[SIZE=12pt]"Proof of auto insurance is required. U.S. auto insurance is accepted as long as an individual is a tourist in Canada. U.S. insurance firms will issue a Canadian insurance card, which should be obtained and carried prior to driving into Canada."[/SIZE]

Source; U.S. Department of State

There would possibly be no problem if you don't have a Canadian insurance card, who knows. Don't forget, it [SIZE=10pt]IS[/SIZE] another country, and by having one you're better safe than sorry I've been to Canada many times and all it takes is a call to the insurance broker or company, giving them the dates you expect to be in Canada and mine usually mails it to me.

NYPete

My insurance company sent me a printed "Canadian Non-resident Inter-provincial Motor Vehicle Liability Card", which I laminated along with a copy of my registration and California insurance card into an 8.5"x5.5" card. I keep one at the bottom of my tank bag, and one under my seat.

For what it's worth, I've crossed from the U.S. into Canada maybe 12-15 times, and have never once been asked to show this insurance card.

My understanding is that this is not a border crossing requirement more of a traffic stop requirement. I've been to Canada many times and never been asked for it, but I've never had anything more than a casual conversation with any Canadian LEOs.

My insurance company sent me a printed "Canadian Non-resident Inter-provincial Motor Vehicle Liability Card", which I laminated along with a copy of my registration and California insurance card into an 8.5"x5.5" card. I keep one at the bottom of my tank bag, and one under my seat.
For what it's worth, I've crossed from the U.S. into Canada maybe 12-15 times, and have never once been asked to show this insurance card.
+1 My insurance sent me the same card mentioned above for my trip last year for free even though I was never asked to show it when I crossed the border.

My Auto Owners insurance card for our vehicles have Canadian info on the card. My Progressive motorcycle insurance didn't and when I asked my agent a year ago, she had never heard of it. However, I was given an 800# and Progressive sent me one 10 days later.

I asked about the card at a couple of border crossings last summer and they didn't know. So it must be if you get stopped by the police or have an accident. Over the years, I make sure I have one before traveling in Canada.

I'm across the border all the time and never been asked for proof of ins..I would guess an ins. card would suffice. Getting back into the good ole USofA is another matter altogether so I have EDL [that would be an Enhanced Drivers license from NYS] with a RF chip for an extra $40 a pop that breezes me thru the gate right now..[and hugely impresses the customs chicks!]

My insurance company sent me a printed "Canadian Non-resident Inter-provincial Motor Vehicle Liability Card"
That's the one. No one is going to ask for it unless you have an accident. If you do have an accident, you better have one! It's free, get it. And BTW, they almost always are dated for the same dates as your policy, so getting the card once isn't enough, you need to ask for a new one every time you renew your policy. Check the dates before your next trip across the border, eh!

My insurance company sent me a printed "Canadian Non-resident Inter-provincial Motor Vehicle Liability Card"
That's the one. No one is going to ask for it unless you have an accident. If you do have an accident, you better have one! It's free, get it. And BTW, they almost always are dated for the same dates as your policy, so getting the card once isn't enough, you need to ask for a new one every time you renew your policy. Check the dates before your next trip across the border, eh!

This is the correct answer!!!

Do any Canadians know if we have the same requirement when biking in the States? I do quite a bit of riding south of the border and I've never heard of a similar US requirement. I've never thought to ask before now.

Do any Canadians know if we have the same requirement when biking in the States? I do quite a bit of riding south of the border and I've never heard of a similar US requirement. I've never thought to ask before now.
The best answer to this is to speak to your Ins representative. Many states are different in Insurance requirements. (some have none, others require even out of state riders to prove they have insurance), You simply need to know if your policy covers you while in the US, and ideally, have something that verifies that, should you need to prove it.

I have checked requirements on various sites, still I am a bit confused by what exactly I need.Went and got insurance (Florida requires none) through State Farm. They issue you a proof of

I know I'm hijacking, but if you get into a wreck in Florida, who pays for it?

good question. . . . thanks for asking!

good question. . . . thanks for asking!

Find an agent that knows the answer... Most should or should know how to find out if you are a client they value.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for bringing this up. I had no idea.

I just spoke to my son in Boulder, CO. He told me that a proof of insurance card is the norm there.

Since I'm planning a ride to Montreal in July, I will ask my insurance company for the card.

I know I'm hijacking, but if you get into a wreck in Florida, who pays for it?
Insurance in Florida is VERY confusing. This is a "No fault" state. Each driver is responsible for

damages their vehicle sustains. A certain amount of health insurance, a certain amount of liability.....

and pooof!!!! ............(It all gets settled in a courtroom) :huh: