Oil change

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is it truly as easy as it looks? or is there some little sneaky aspect to be aware of.

It is as easy as it looks! All bikes should be designed this way.

HAHAHAHAHA!!!! You forgot the oil drain bolt that's been torque to 978 lb/ft then welded to the pan after being screwed in with red krypto-tite!

And there is the tricky oil trap fairing design, and if you move the fairing out of the way, the bolt hole becomes an oil trap! Clever these Japanese!

Seriously, though, it's easier than anything else you have at your house. Even easier than the lawnmower. Drain the oil, remove the filter, install new filter, put the drain plug back in, stick a funnel in the fill hole, dump in new oil. Takes longer to write than to do.

Almost.

Sort of.

Last edited by a moderator:
For the oil drip on the fairing, remove the fairing bolt and wrap with a single sheet of aluminum foil. Keeps your foam and fairing clean.

I just prop the fairing out of the way with a small piece of wood and don't bother with the aluminum foil.

Don't forget to use the specified torque on the oil filter, see owner's manual.
Oh, God, no. Not torque specs for something anybody knows is tight enough when it's tight enough!

You'll never get it off at the next change!

Oil filter tighten = gasket starts to squish, go another quarter to a half turn.

Never tighten an oil filter with anything stronger than your hand!!!!!!!!

You're welcome.

Just did my first oil change, piece of cake except for the friggin oil pan dran plug. Jeeze Louise, now I know where King Kong went to work after his film career in Japan, he's working for Yamaha installing oil pan drain plugs.

No, it is not that easy. You will need special Yamaha tool #BR549. After you remove the filler cap, this device is clamped onto your bike's frame so that you can rotate the bike upside down to drain the oil. It only can be found at an authorized dealership. I got mine on sale for $650.00, a steal. Comes with the a fuel catcher for the gas that will leak out of the filler cap. Seriously. True.

Don't forget to use the specified torque on the oil filter, see owner's manual.
DON'T torque the oil filter to specs. That will almost guarantee you all kinds of problems when you take it of at your next oil change. Just hand tighten it as far as it will go so its good and snug. That's all you need to do.

I have changed oil in my cars and motorcycles for, well since most of you were in diapers or a twinkle in your daddy's eye. Tighten the filter tight enough so you have to drink a beer, grip it real hard and grunt before you can remove it. then you know it's tight enough. Got it?

Just did my first oil change, piece of cake except for the friggin oil pan dran plug. Jeeze Louise, now I know where King Kong went to work after his film career in Japan, he's working for Yamaha installing oil pan drain plugs.

This is nothing new. The first time I pulled the plug and drained the oil, the threads come right out with the plug... Thank goodness it was covered under warranty. I had to call mamma yamaha and explain to them exactly what happened so they would actually believe me as they were going to cover only parts at first and not labor. Funny thing is, the guy I spoke with on the phone acted like he had never heard of anybody else having a drain plug so tight from the factory that it pulled the threads out upon first oil change.... :blink: