New PIAA Slimline Sports Horn

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HaulinAshe

Reaction score
I ran across this horn... PIAA Slimline Sports Horn. I believe it's a new product offering, at least I have not seen it before and the PIAA web site says it's NEW.

According to my meter, it draws about 1.5x the current of the stock/OEM FJR horn. However, it physically replaces the stock horn without requiring any fairing cuts or modification to the bike in any way.

I don't expect any electrical problem using just one PIAA and one stock horn. The sound mixture of both horns works pretty darn well.

It may be a good solution for beefing-up the horn delivery without any serious modifications required.

Last edited by a moderator:
I ran across this horn... PIAA Slimline Sports Horn. I believe it's a new product offering, at least I have not seen it before and the PIAA web site says it's NEW.
According to my meter, it draws about 1.5x the current of the stock/OEM FJR horn. However, it physically replaces the stock horn without requiring any fairing cuts or modification to the bike in any way.

I don't expect any electrical problem using just one PIAA and one stock horn. The sound mixture of both horns works pretty darn well.

It may be a good solution for beefing-up the horn delivery without any serious modifications required.
Jeff, I'd still advise using a relay kit, the Eastern Beaver kits are great, excellent build quality and components and reasonably priced (you wouldn't save much making one yourself out of comparable quality parts). Why risk burning out the Horn Switch?

Dual Horn Kit: $38

Single Horn Kit: $30

I've been running a pair of horns similar to the new PIAAs (119db) that are small enough to fit without any "cutting", so why stop at just one :)

For me loud horns are typically amongst the first farkles to go on :devilsmiley: You can pick these up here for about $35 for the pair.

Thick horizontal dimensions of 65 × 95 × 98 vertical product (mm)

Weight 225g each, High480/Low 400Hz maximum frequency sound pressure 113dB/2m (119dB/m)

Rated voltage DC12V (12V vehicles only), current national safety standards MAX 4.5A × 2 ECE (Europe)

Having just installed the Fiamm's using FJRandy's horn harness, here are some thoughts if the point of the PIAA is to fit without cutting:

1. The Fiamm's went in my 08 without any cutting of the inside fairing. I compressed the forks to verify, but there is about a 3/4 to 1 inch gap, with the handlebar's fully turned. To get this fit, I had to bend the Fiamm bracket along the rear contours of the Fiamm. Easy to do if you have a vise.

2. Using Randy's horn harness was easy to install, but I'd love to have tried the Eastern Beaver harness (I've used their fuseblock harness with great results). While I give props to FJRandy's harness for making it easy, the design has three things I'd want to see improved:

A. The length of the + battery wire coming off the relay is too short, and requires the relay to be located in the panel above the battery: not a lot of room left there. Eastern's relay looks like it can be stored farther away, behind the headllights for example.

2. Randy's wires are crimped to connectors that hook up to the relay, and could accidentally come off. I had to pinch the connectors a bit to increase the connection tension. Eastern Beaver's wires look to be soldered onto the relay connector with leads coming out.

3. Randy's harness wraps the wires in a plastic "corragated" sheath that is a bit thick; and pushes out the plastic covers of the panels that cover the battery. Eastern's wires and sheath look to be a lot slimmer.

How about these ones? Anyone try these or know if they might work fine?

300-2T305-2Twithoutpackage-big.jpg

WOLO Model 305-2T

12V

2 terminals

HIGH TONE

420 Hz 110-115DB 2A

$21.19

I finally replaced my defective DVM and measured the current draw from both horns today.

Stock/OEM is roughly 3.3 DC amps.

PIAA Slimline Sport Horn is roughly 3.1 DC amps.

Considering it's a bolt-on, no mods required fit, I'm sold!!! Both my FJRs got one. I like the mix of one OEM and one PIAA Slimline horn on the same bike.

Absolutely no reason to add a relay or modify the wiring in this situation.

I went with a pair of Fiamm disc HK-9's - one ea high and low tone all for under $30 with the addition of a FJRandy (dual horn) Harness

https://www.ridesafer.com/ProductDetails.as...oductCode=H0012

I found them at O'Reilly and Advance Auto as genuine Fiamm and not a knockoff

They are exact replacement of the stock disc horns and very loud

'course, then I added a stebel air horn to the mix so I can blowhard 3 horns !!! The Stebel has a Eastern Beaver single horn harness

I finally replaced my defective DVM and measured the current draw from both horns today.
Stock/OEM is roughly 3.3 DC amps.

PIAA Slimline Sport Horn is roughly 3.1 DC amps.

Considering it's a bolt-on, no mods required fit, I'm sold!!! Both my FJRs got one. I like the mix of one OEM and one PIAA Slimline horn on the same bike.

Absolutely no reason to add a relay or modify the wiring in this situation.
Haulin'a$$,

I stole the one you sent Piehart and it is probably the easiest bolt on I've done on anything. Definitely louder, definitely not a squeaky horn. I like it. Excellent find and I appreciate your sharing. And don't fret, I ordered Dave a new one.

Another wonderful contribution from Mr. Jeff. Seriously appreciated - now, can I borrow that cc of yours? :rolleyes:

Jeff, I've been using PIAA dual tone horns for a couple of years now. They are advertised just like the one you mentioned without use of relay and just sire up and use. I have them on both my bikes and my car without relay and never had any electrical problems. They are a little larger than the ones you have, but you get two horns for about $45. Here is a link to them on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/85110-115db-400HZ-50...s/dp/B00067BWBI

doctorj

Jeff,

So you simply have to unplug and unbolt and then plug the new horn in and using the same hardware to bolt it up? Is it truly a "plug and play" farkle? :)

Dave

Jeff, I've been using PIAA dual tone horns for a couple of years now. They are advertised just like the one you mentioned without use of relay and just sire up and use. I have them on both my bikes and my car without relay and never had any electrical problems. They are a little larger than the ones you have, but you get two horns for about $45. Here is a link to them on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/85110-115db-400HZ-50...s/dp/B00067BWBI
Any chance you can put a DC-Amp meter on those horns and tell us what the current draw is? I'm not at all opposed to going above the stock horn current draw, as long as I don't go much above.

I looked at those horns several times before, but was afraid that two of them would draw way above stock amperage. I'm not willing to install another wire/relay system or cut any plastic.

Any chance you can put a DC-Amp meter on those horns and tell us what the current draw is? I'm not at all opposed to going above the stock horn current draw, as long as I don't go much above.
+1

I like the sound of the PIAA sports 400-500 combo horns. If the current draw is really equal to or close to stock current draw - they would definitely be my next farkle. I also do not want to run separate wiring and/or cut plastic.