SpeedoHealer Feedback?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KYRider

Reaction score
Has anyone installed a SpeedoHealer (as featured on page 48 of the July issue of Motorcycle Consumer News) on a Gen II FJR. www.calsportbike.com/sh. I am thinking about ordering one to correct the optomistic FJR speedo that is about 4% off. Looks like it is plug-and-play...want to make sure. Thanks

I have read reports where people installed these on 2nd gen FJRs successfully.

Be aware that, because the "speed correction" is being applied to the wheel speed signal that goes to the instruments, when you decrease the speed reading you will also be decreasing the odometer readout by the same amount. Since that is pretty much correct in stock form, you will be inducing that much error into the odometer.

Has anyone installed a SpeedoHealer (as featured on page 48 of the July issue of Motorcycle Consumer News) on a Gen II FJR. www.calsportbike.com/sh. I am thinking about ordering one to correct the optomistic FJR speedo that is about 4% off. Looks like it is plug-and-play...want to make sure. Thanks

Fred, I just assumed the odometer was also off around 4% optomistic from the actual miles travelled in that it worked off the same sensors.

I think the odo's are off by that % as my GPS mileage on a trip is always lower than the odo tally on the bike...

I think the odo's are off by that % as my GPS mileage on a trip is always lower than the odo tally on the bike...
Your odo is reporting the actual distance traveled. Your GPS is reporting the distance between satellite fixes, which is a bit shorter (if there are any curves it goes in straight lines between samples). You can check your odometer on a measured mile to confirm this.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have used them on my CBR1100XX and on my Hayabusa, and they absolutely work as advertised. I have not installed one on my FJR because my speedometer is not that optimistic... amazingly, my stock odometer is about dead nuts on true, and my speedo only run just 1-3 mph over actual ground speed. , so it wasn't worth dorking up a perfect odometer readout just to fix the small speedo optimism.

And, if the speedo healer results in the odometer being a bit pessimistic, who really cares? Unless you're anal as heck these things are close approximations anyway because they don;t compensate for tire wear and such.

I much prefer the accuracte speedo over the inaccuracy of the odometer (which would be about 5.5% given the way my speedo was reporting). That's why I have a healer installed on my bike - and unless they've done something significant since I installed mine, if you have a Gen-II they are not plug and play - you have to cut one wire that goes to the ECU and splice the signal leads from the healer there..

Last edited by a moderator:
Why should you care if the odometer is being fudged?

Technically, if you have been running a Speedo Healer, when you go to sell the bike, you can no longer (legally) check the box that says the odometer reading is accurate to the best of your knowledge.

Unless you don't mind lying.

Heck, if you understand how these things work you can't even honestly say that the reading was correct WITHOUT the speedo healer. And, if you put the bike on the stand and spin the wheel the odometer reading is even less accurate.

The legal declaration is there for you to state that the odometer has never been disconnected for a substantial period and that it has not been replaced. No more and no less, because it is not a scientifically calibrated and compensated device.

Sorry, but if you knowingly tamper with the odometer and create a condition where it then reads less...

Seems pretty black and white to me.

YMMV (pun intended) :p

While the odo and the speedo are fed from the same sensor to count pulses per mile, there are legal reasons that they actually use different algorithms. Speedos are not allowed to read low, so they put a slightly high fudge factor into them. Odos are not allowed to read high, so they make them as tight as possible to the actual so as to not give away free miles towards your warranty expiration.

Each uses its own divide-by rules to generate its reading, so a 5% high speedo does not indicate a 5% high odo.

Correcting the speedo with such devices will affect the odo.

My thing is, it ain't that hard to remember that at indicated 70 I'm actually running 68, and at indicated 80 I'm actually running just under 78. Why do I have to dick around with it to correct it?

Because mine was off a lot more than that. About 8.5% (IIRC). And my Nissan SE-R is off by about as much as you said that your FJR is off. So I got tired of getting confused about which ratio to use to mentally correct. So I fixed the worst one of the two!

I ran up against one good reason to correct it.

It is a psychological issue: you 'feel' that it is fast because the speedo says it is fast. When Honda had a problem with the software in the Goldwiong (it was causing the speedo to display about 50% LOW). Lots and lots of people got tickets - there was a recall - don;t know if Honda reimbursed their customers.

Today, as I was riding up to the resort where CFR is headquartered, the person I was riding with refused to go faster than 8% below the max speed because HIS speedo displayed the max number.

I tried to explain that it isn't what the speedo shows, but rather how fast you are going that qualfies you for a performance award; Didn't much matter. We rode slower than we might have.

Now, if his speedo had been correct, we coiuld have gone 8% faster.

Has anyone tried installing the Speedohealer in an ABS model (e.g. 2010 to 2013)? If so, which sensor is used and where are the splices made?

Thanks.

Has anyone tried installing the Speedohealer in an ABS model (e.g. 2010 to 2013)? If so, which sensor is used and where are the splices made?Thanks.
The rear ABS sensor is used for the bike's speed.

The signal from the sensor goes directly to the ABS control unit, and from there it's "computer speak" to the ECU and meter unit, so a healer couldn't be put after the ABS control unit.

Personally I wouldn't interfere with the ABS data stream. I'm sure a continuous difference between front and rear ABS input speeds would modify the action of the ABS when it's needed, it might react too late or too soon. In any case, depending on the design of the healer, it could take too long for the output of the healer to react to its input for the ABS to be able to control wheel locking.

Has anyone tried installing the Speedohealer in an ABS model (e.g. 2010 to 2013)? If so, which sensor is used and where are the splices made?Thanks.

The signal from the sensor goes directly to the ABS control unit, and from there it's "computer speak" to the ECU and meter unit, so a healer couldn't be put after the ABS control unit.

Personally I wouldn't interfere with the ABS data stream. I'm sure a continuous difference between front and rear ABS input speeds would modify the action of the ABS when it's needed, it might react too late or too soon. In any case, depending on the design of the healer, it could take too long for the output of the healer to react to its input for the ABS to be able to control wheel locking.
Not entirely so, The abs ecu averages and converts the 2 speed inputs and sends a signal to the engine ecu. This is the same type of signal one would get from a single sensor on a non abs bike.

This is the wire I used. It is also where I plan to get a speed signal for cruise control (someday)

I installed a SpeedoDrD on my 08. It works as advertized. I installed it behind the left side fairing using the tail light wiring for power and ground.

It doesn't matter which model you get as the connector gets cut off.

Has anyone tried installing the Speedohealer in an ABS model (e.g. 2010 to 2013)? If so, which sensor is used and where are the splices made?

Thanks.

Not entirely so, The abs ecu averages and converts the 2 speed inputs and sends a signal to the engine ecu. This is the same type of signal one would get from a single sensor on a non abs bike.This is the wire I used. It is also where I plan to get a speed signal for cruise control (someday)

I installed a SpeedoDrD on my 08. It works as advertized. I installed it behind the left side fairing using the tail light wiring for power and ground.

It doesn't matter which model you get as the connector gets cut off.
According to the workshop manual (at least, the 2006 one), the speedometer only uses the rear wheel sensor.
As for the detailed operation of the ABS and how it uses the individual wheel speed signals, I've not seen any definitive information.

When you say "this is the wire I used", was that the wheel sensor wire or a signal out of the ABS control unit? If not the wheel sensor, could you say exactly which wire you did use? I'd be interested for a speed signal for my cruise control that doesn't interfere with signals to the ABS controller - I'm slightly (?) paranoid about my ABS, it's saved my bacon more than once!