Something else to loctite...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gary

Reaction score
SO, on the last leg of an overnighter, the wife & I are having an ice cream in Santa Clarita, when I notice an open hole where one of the bolts attaching the front fender should be...

I check the other side, and that one is gone too...(both front bolts missing). The right rear bolt is somewhat snug, but the left rear is well on its way to escaping. I think I'll be replacing all of these with allen-headed cap screws and lockwashers.

SO, on the last leg of an overnighter, the wife & I are having an ice cream in Santa Clarita, when I notice an open hole where one of the bolts attaching the front fender should be...
I check the other side, and that one is gone too...(both front bolts missing). The right rear bolt is somewhat snug, but the left rear is well on its way to escaping. I think I'll be replacing all of these with allen-headed cap screws and lockwashers.
Yeah, Loctite too...

BTW, got any pics of yer 89 FJ?....

Jus curious....

:)

Last edited by a moderator:
I recently discovered that I had lost one of the little round reflectors on one side of the license plate bracket. Even though I almost always have the side cases on, and you can't see them, I can't stand having only one. It's a quirk.

My dealer is ordering one (for $13.13).

Those reflectors are metal screwed into plastic. I guess loctite is no good for them, huh? WBill

I recently discovered that I had lost one of the little round reflectors on one side of the license plate bracket. Even though I almost always have the side cases on, and you can't see them, I can't stand having only one. It's a quirk.
My dealer is ordering one (for $13.13).

Those reflectors are metal screwed into plastic. I guess loctite is no good for them, huh? WBill
I took off all of my reflectors when the bike was new. If I can track it down in the garage I would be willing to send you the reflector for whatever the cost of shipping is. Probably less then 2 bucks :D

Let me know

While installing my GPS this weekend, I had the tank up and we were running the cables under the tank. On the right side of the frame in that hole where all the brake lines come out, there is an OD green bracket that holds everything together. That is held on by one OD green allen screw. When I was trying to figure out how I was going to get the cable to fit through there, I noticed that the allen screw was really loose. About a turn and a half and it was out. Maybe just another thing to Loctite.

I too just discovered that one of the reflectors was missing from the license plate holder. Not sure how long it's been gone. I just got my bike 4 weeks ago. I decided two days ago to ride with the hard cases off for a change and noticed it.

I too just discovered that one of the reflectors was missing from the license plate holder. Not sure how long it's been gone. I just got my bike 4 weeks ago. I decided two days ago to ride with the hard cases off for a change and noticed it.
If you want to replace them, you can have mine. I had to take them off as they won't clear the CB antenna bracket. As this bike is destined for 200K miles or so, and to be used as parts for the next one, it's no biggy letting go of them.

Are you going to CFO?

Yep be careful plastic doesn't like Loctite. I just started using a new stick verision of Loctite . I found it at Autozone, No Drip and no leak no mess works great.

Good ol' Loctite. On the theme of "something else," I got these two pieces of mounting hardware for my GoPro cam.

203322602_203312318b60e5335c8154dadb5633808a75e646abb25fce7.jpg

ram1inch.jpg

Once connected, they'll never be used separately, so the super Red Loctite would have been better, but all I had is the blue and it's working fine. I found that when I had the cam mounted using one of those Ram Ball extension arm brackets that tighten down with a wing knob, I couldn't loosen that bracket enough to re-aim the camera without unscrewing the two parts from each other (if I turned the camera the wrong way).

And if the bracket was loose enough to turn the camera without unscrewing the two parts from each other, the whole thing was in jeopardy of coming apart in my hand. Ugly, if you're moving at the time. Good stuff, Loctite.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you going to CFO?
I don't know what CFO is. But I'll search for it on the site and find out. But likely, I will not be there.

I live 30 miles from LaCrosse! I may only be there on Saturday, but I put my name in to be there. I'm looking forward to it!

If you want to replace them, you can have mine. I had to take them off as they won't clear the CB antenna bracket. As this bike is destined for 200K miles or so, and to be used as parts for the next one, it's no biggy letting go of them.

Are you going to CFO?
I'll take one of them if you have it. I stuck an amber one on as a place holder, but would rather get red. PM sent

I live 30 miles from LaCrosse! I may only be there on Saturday, but I put my name in to be there. I'm looking forward to it!
I'm signed up too; plan to do that then head down via UP to EOM. I did shoot a PM to organizer, hadn't heard she-ite back........

Hmm, I havent lost any hardware yet. I did replace those crappy plastic windshield screw with stainless steel screws, but otherwise its still holding together just fine. Its still relatively new with only 36K miles tho.

I've never lost any of that stuff. No loctite either. And I make sure I keep those crappy plastic windshield screws. They are there for a reason.

That big torx head bolt behind the shifter lever that connects the frame to the output shaft housing. It's got to be a #42 torx or bigger. My set only goes to #40, so I have to go out and buy the damn tool now.

I tried to but couldn't find that bolt anywhere in the Yamaha parts catalog either. Tried every category that made sense and a few that didn't.

2007 parts catalog

Just a tip on thread locker in cases if plastic areas....you can't use lock rite, but try using nail polish...just a small amount....works great and if you are married then you have an endless supply...btw, my front fender bolts did the same...need to order some new ones