If I didn’t see it with my own eyes, I would not have believed it!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

John_Dumke

Reaction score
[SIZE=12pt]It all started last night with a pre-pissing contest. The debate over who was the fastest. Fairlaner or FJRonamission. The debate was really two fold. First a contest of ego and ability, but secondly a contest of physics, philosophy, tire choice, and whether a car tire for the rear was anything other than just a hideous abomination. My thinking? A car tire could not be a proper choice for an enthusiast. More for a high mileage tightwad looking to link 4 corners of the continent in a straight line on one tire. It was clear that today's ride would prove to be exciting, and that history would be made, in one form or another. And I was poised to have a front row seat to watch the battle and scientific experiment unfold. My only hope was that I would not be the one to have to pick up any pieces, which I considered a real possibility, with all of the post game smack talk.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]The dual, or maybe it was just an afterschool slugfest, was set for the morning. "Meet me in the parking lot at 9:00am"…. "I'll be there". The previous night I had done a little reconnaissance work, checking in with those in the "know", DCarver. I was led to believe that the complete setup, rider and tire (FJRonaMission and rear car tire) was a solid combination, but may not be able to hang with likes of Fairlaner or myself on God's chosen round rubber. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]The group took off north on Hwy 101. Our first test would be route 299 east. A road with big sweeping high speed turns and lots of elevation changes. Usually when I ride with Fairlaner, he takes the lead and I dog him, like a fly on his ass, but from a safe distance, so I knew that my front row seat of the title fight would be firmly in place. FJRonaMission clearly had something to prove and wasn't going to wait, leaping ahead of me like a cattle dog getting ready to nip at the heels. As I watched FJRonaMission's bike cantilever up on to the corner of the tire, I just couldn't imagine how grip was going to be maintained. But the speeds kept climbing. As I mentioned, the sweepers were big gradual turns, so 60 mph proved nothing. But the speeds kept climbing, 60, then 70, 80, 90, now we were starting to make some time through these turns. And "holy crap" if that square car tire didn't stick. It pretty much seemed to defy the laws of physics. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Two other important details became apparent at the same time. FJRonaMission knew how to ride, and he might just be a little crazier than either Fairlaner or myself. Actually, revise the might be, to absolutely. Passes were taken with aggression and complete disregard for other motorists. Kind of like the front row at a prize fight getting sprinkled with sweat from the boxers as they exchange blows. Although, YNotRide, helping bring up the rear, said it wasn't sweat, it was single finger salutes from the motorists we had passed, getting pissed at him because they didn't have enough time to get pissed at the lead dogs.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]When we arrived at the first town, we were greeted by a quiet main street and the presence of two police cars, a stark reminder to throttle it back a notch. Everybody agreed that it got just a little out of hand, and going forward we would take it easy. And we did for the balance of route 299. What could be proved on route 299 had already been proved. While 90mph on 120mph sweepers does say something, it doesn't test the bike at the limit, because those speeds would be just too high. Round 1 was just a warm up with only a few jabs thrown.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]I then led the pack on out of town at a sane pace. I could tell the heavyweights had gone to their corners. Not done, just resting, and regrouping. When we turned on to route 3, we had a more appropriate venue to test limits. Route 3 consisted of turns with more appropriate speeds of 40 – 90mph. And the pissing contest resumed.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]I forgot how we got there, but once again I had a front row seat to the battle, with Fairlaner in the lead and FJRonaMission dogging Fairlaner. It was clear that FRJonaMission had something to prove. The speeds kept climbing, and finally both riders overshot a left hand turn, but both corrected well, and avoided any mishaps. But the incident pissed off Fairlaner, who for safety reasons, backed off. FJRonaMission kept the pace and I stayed in tow. My new Pirelli Angel ST's were now mostly scrubbed in and I was beginning to trust them. I stayed with FJRonaMission, and then saw him run a little wide on a right hander, putting him a couple of feet into a fortunately clear oncoming lane. Still not anything conclusive, because I was not sure if talent had beaten talent, or if crazy had beaten talent. Round 2 now complete.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]We took a quick break, during which I had to hear lots of grumbling from Sir Fairlaner about FJRonaMission's aggressive/dangerous moves. Then we continued on route 3 which turned in to the most glorious series of never ending contiguous turns, over perfect tarmac and with equally as perfect scenery. This section of road seemed to last for almost 60 miles during which the three of us flowed through turn after turn like a trio of high speed synchronized swimmers. Let me say, that I have race track experience, only weigh 165, have an aftermarket Penske shock set for aggressive two up riding, had removed my bags, hang off aggressively to preserve cornering clearance, and I was still touched my pegs a few times following the duo. We were movin', and corners seemed to last forever, one after another, after another.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]After this wonderful section of road which was attacked with perfection, we stopped for burgers at Mad River. I was thoroughly impressed with not only that rear car tire, I still don't see how it works, but also FJRonaMission's riding ability. He may have a few screws loose, but hey nobody is perfect. Fairlaner was fuming because, well I am not really completely sure why, he just was. And FJRonaMission was parking his bike, horizontally on the ground in the dirt. He chalked it up to hypoglycemic exhaustion, as to the reason why he stabbed the front brakes in the last few feet, sending the bike to the ground. Maybe that was why Fairlaner was hot and bothered, he didn't want to be taken out by the fastest hypoglycemic car tire in the west.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]At lunch it was clear we had lost the rest of the group. No surprise there. So for lunch, it was just myself, Fairlaner and FJRonaMission. The tension during lunch had more caloric content than my meaty 1/3rd pound Mad River cheese burger. "Can't we all just get along". Evidently not. Sensing the tension FJRonaMission took off for a solo ride home, knowing he had proven a point. That he can ride whether or not his tires are round or square.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Who is the fastest? Well there really is no way to tell within the confines of public streets. Both riders can push it to what is a reasonable limit (many would not call it reasonable), and only a head to head track day could safely offer conclusions. But one thing is for certain, neither skill, his mouth, nor square tires will hold back FJRonaMission.[/SIZE]

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh gawd. You know you're just encouraging him now? :blink:

Great write-up! :lol:

Fairlaner - chins up, Big Guy! Sounds as though it was a pretty darned close p**sing match ;)

Sure was a nice peacefull ride to Shelter Cove. No ego, no mine is bigger than yours. One big truck to make sure people were awake and the only thing hot was the temp.Lets be safe out there.

John - I see Richard lurking.... :dribble:

I suggest we all do a track day on the FeeJs, that'll be good and safe. ;)

All ya'll ride safe, tone it down a bit. Going into other lanes can be dangerous to your health. You can still have fun without getting too crazy. :D

I thought I mentioned in Richard's B-Day post he was old and slowing down... maybe this proves it. ;)

Enjoy guys and gals.

Maybe that was why Fairlaner was hot and bothered, he didn’t want to be taken out by the fastest hypoglycemic car tire in the west.
Snerk! :clapping:

This report is a relief to my ego. I rode with FJRONAMISSION Wednesday coming here and was demoralized that square slab of car tire kept getting farther away from me as we rode 36. I wasn't quite so bummed because I'm riding in full rally trim including a fuel cell and lowered pegs....but I can imagine fairlaner's frustration with being outridden by something they sell at Les Schwab.

Damn that ocfjr for starting this whole infernal mess! :angry2:

Also, agree with FJRay. We need to not have anybody splat today!

Iggy, this post is in the wrong section. Can you move it to the right folder? (Or the PNW equivalent}.

Remember, you can't be the winner if you aren't around to tell about it.

What's that? Dolly's waiting? My turn. gotta go.

Excellant report. It should be moved to the Darkside Forum. But IIRC, OCfjr had said in one of the posts there that he had cooked a corner and dragged a peg, unintentionally of course, and proved the CT will in fact hold quite well.

I had to hear lots of grumbling from Sir Fairlaner about FJRonaMission’s aggressive/dangerous moves
Talk about the pot calling the kettle black! What's next, James B. calling Sir Fairlaner a hooligan? :lol2: :lol2:

Glad no one got smeared across the pavement or spattered against something hard and immoveable. Bunch of retards, the lot of you! :rolleyes:

How many times does it have to be said? It's not the bike, (or the tire), it's the rider.

Intriguing, Danger, Suspense and Grinning read.

All is fair fun in Pissing & Riding...

Be safe guys. The fastest winner, always makes it home safe.

This is a very good read, very entertaining report. Iggy is right, lets not get mangled or dead out here people and what I did was a bit

over the top lets say.... :rolleyes: I wanted to prove a point about this tire, that it is the one you are looking for ( if a CT is in your plans ). Eric just posted up in the Darkside

Post, that the tire is better feeling than his previous tire. but How long will it last is his next be question and that is exactly what I am waiting to find out myself.

Now lets go have some more fun you'all........ :D

B.....

I was invited on this ride - and, frankly, declined...

ego and testosterone = potential bad joo-Koo.

Edited - deleted. Too close to home. Will speak personally with folks who read original messge.

Hmmm. Perhaps I've shared too much. All cage/truck drivers were not at fault in my horrible experience.

I really need to let this go and disassociate my nightmares with this thread -

Sorry..

carry on...

Hmmm. Perhaps I've shared too much. All cage/truck drivers were not at fault in my horrible experience. I really need to let this go and disassociate my nightmares with this thread -

Sorry..

carry on...
Would like to hear what happended, at the right time, in the right place....

I've been reviewing this thread over and over in my mind, since it is truly inconceivable that anyone could equal Fairlaner, if catch a whiff of his dust.

I know. I tried at CFR. I couldn't even keep up long enough to get a whiff of his fumes. So the idea that someone else could keep up or even pass Richard?

Say it aint so, Joe.

After reviewing the known factors, I think I now know what happened.

John was wearing the shirt.

51ANCwQnIjL._AA300_.jpg

Low Dumke, very low. If you're gonna race with the shirt, you have to at least warn your opponent about its magic powers.

Passes were taken with aggression and complete disregard for other motorists.

I stayed with FJRonaMission, and then saw him run a little wide on a right hander, putting him a couple of feet into a fortunately clear oncoming lane.

And FJRonaMission was parking his bike, horizontally on the ground in the dirt. He chalked it up to hypoglycemic exhaustion, as to the reason why he stabbed the front brakes in the last few feet, sending the bike to the ground.
When I read quotes like these, I have to wonder what the hell were you guys thinking? Somebody could have gotten killed. Its dangerous enough riding a motorcycle as it is - we don't have to make it any more dangerous. We are the first to complain when a cager does something stupid. Perhaps we should look in the mirror.

A little to much testosterone and not enough common sense.

It's cool that the car tire worked as good as it did.

Status
Not open for further replies.