bags connection City bag (with pics)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VTFJR13

Reaction score
Ok here are some pics of the SW motech/bags connection City tank bag I just got. I started with the day pac 2 bag and needed more space. But I also didn't want a huge tank bag and I didn't want one that would hit the bars when in full lock position. Or feel like it was just in the way. I have a Heli upper triple clamp and heli risers and you all know how hard that can be to find tank bag that works.

citytankbag001.jpg

citytankbag002.jpg

citytankbag003.jpg

citytankbag004.jpg

citytankbag005.jpg

Eric

Looks really nice for touring, but too big for daily use, IMO. I'd hang onto the little bag (you're selling elsewhere) for that if I were you.

Looks really nice for touring, but too big for daily use, IMO. I'd hang onto the little bag (you're selling elsewhere) for that if I were you.
Well actually fred I bought it for daily use. I brown bag it to work sometimes and like to carry stuff to and from work and the Day pac 2 just didn't cut it. It isn't as big as it looks in the pics. I tried the FJR tank bag last year now that was huge!!!!!. I have actually tried several tank bags on the fjr and I think I finally have a winner. :yahoo:

Eric

I realize the age of this thread but could you let us know what you thought of the bag after living with it; assuming you kept it awhile? How did it hold up to daily use? Ever have a problem getting the bag off the mount? I'd hate to need gas and have the pull release break!

I have the same bag (with an EVO mount, the OP probably has the non-evo, given the age of the thread). It's a great bag, not too big. I have the larger GS bag that I bought for my GSA and find that both bags fit both bikes well, so I can switch between the bikes as required - for a day or weekend trip - I use the City, for a 2 week tour I'll take the GS bag.

The EVO mount was a redesign to make the system more solid and less likely to get jammed with dirt. On a street bike, I can't see that ever being an issue but it was covered lots on ADVRider. You can also lock the EVO to the bike, which is nice.

If you buy used, make sure you confirm whether it has Evo or non-Evo mounts so you can buy the right mount for the bike, since they are very different (but both are still available).

Last edited by a moderator:
Although I questioned the size in the OP, I eventually also bought one of these same bags. I too have the EVO model, which uses a bike specific tank ring to latch the bag onto. I now have tank rings on all three of my bikes (FJR, Vstrom and VFR) and the tank bag snaps onto whichever of the three I opt to ride any particular day, which is very convenient.

I have one of those three port cigarette lighter 12V power point inside the bag, which I have powered by an SAE (Battery tender) type cable. Since all three of the bikes have battery tender pigtail cables on them, I can power the tank bag on all three bikes also. The power in the bag goes off to the Starcom1 intercom I have in the mesh pocket under the bag's lid, the radar detector that I have velcro mounted on the top of the bag's lid, and a quick disconnect cable that runs to the zumo GPS I have mounted on the left side bar. So all of those functions move from bike to bike with the bag.

In terms of size, I'd never had any interference issues on any of the three bikes, until I put the HeliBar riser plate on my 3rd Gen. Now the bars will just touch the sides of the bag at full steering lock, which really doesn't bother much except it turn the cruise control power button on or off on contact. The horn button and other switches do not seem to hit the bag.

One recommendation for you if you do decide to get one of these: On the small back pocket of the bag is one of those slit-able rubber cable ports in case you want to pull wires through from inside. I recommend undercutting the stitching between the rubber flap and the bag and removing that rubber piece, as it will make a big ugly black rubber smudge on the belly area of any light colored jackets. If you wear black all the time it is no problem, but my nice new bright HiViz Olympia AST2 has permanently been branded by that rubber thing. And no... my belly is not all that big, at least not on the FJR aged rider scale.
wink.png

One more thing... while the bag is supported above the tank on the tank ring, the extended rear of bag does touch the tank in the back. You'll want some sort of paint protection at that contact point, either some sort of clear membrane, or any type of typical tank / zipper protector. I have the TechSpec snakeskin tank protector and just have it positioned high enough so the rear of the bag sits on that.

100_4652.jpg

(I've since moved my GPS to the left handlebar to get it up higher in my sight line)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks much! I am considering the powered City bag but was unsure about fit on the tank, clearance with the bars,etc.

Since I recently acquired a new hi-viz Olympia Expedition jacket I really appreciate the tip about the grommet. I'm more "Ichabod Crane" shaped but do like to lean on the tank when the back gets stiff.

I hadn't thought about the GS bag as I assumed the shape wouldn't work well. I'm looking for something to keep essential items handy and my electronic toys charged during multiday trips. The City seems about the right size.