Recommended Tire Pressure

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Leaving tomorrow for some Colorado mountain pass touring. 2 Up, luggage (side bags and top case). Recommended Front & Rear Tire Pressures based on this group's experience?

Thanks!

Based on what others have said in the past 42 and 42 is what you want to go with. You indicate 2 up riding, even more reason to go the full cold pressure stated on the tire sidewall. If it's less than 42, don't exceed what the sidewall says.

John

I just returned from a little trip...5500 miles. I was riding by myself (no passenger) but had a full load onboard. I have a Givi topcase along with the stock bags and a Nelson Rigs bag that I carry on the passenger seat (it's pretty good size). I noticed that with all of that gear I was getting more "wobble" than normal at around 42mph to 45mph. Raising my pressure from 36 front and 40 rear to 40 front and 42 rear seemed to help a LITTLE. I ran the 40/42 pressures the entire trip and was happy with the comfort level, handling, and traction.

Enjoy your ride...I nearly didn't leave CO...beautiful state to ride in.

GunMD

A couple weeks ago I did a quick blast down to AR for a couple days. I had JUST put on the new Avons the night before. Scrubbed on the way down. Again, 42/42 with a fully loaded Givi E52 and tank bag. NEVER a wiggle, wobble, nothing. In fact, before I headed home, I had drug the pegs on many occasions and there aren't any chicken strips left on the rear OR front tire. I'm not bragging, I'm just informing you the there is plenty of traction at 42 psi. I ran the same pressures with the original 'stones as well, again, never a problem. Run what you feel is right for you. Have fun on your trip.

Mike

In a recent long distance ride, I went with 41/41 (single-up, and the bike loaded up with gear to sustain a 4 day trip). And switched to the heavier rear shock setting (BTW: the heavier sock setting worked much better in the twisties!).

I saw a bunch of numbers and no tire makes???? I to am leaving the 28th for Colorado 2 up. If I run more than 34 in the front it seems to flat spot in the center bad. Our last trip 2K miles to Arkansas 1/2 twisties 1/2 hwy. The rear seemed to scallop on the outside edges 39lbs. We were 2 up and road hard(dragging pegs). We are running pilot roads. I have just installed a fresh set for this trip.

Thaks for any input

Steve

I found that if I didn't run 42/42, each tire would cup faster. now with the Avon 45/46 setup, I'll be running 42 in those also.

38/41. Still handles well and turns in a little quicker.

Avon Azaro ST 45/46, front 42, rear 45 when touring. Never had a grip problem. Tires wear very well.
Concur on taking the rear Avon to 45 for a 2-up tour with lots of gear.

Moving to "Technical" forum...

Manual says 36/42. IMHO 42 is a long way from 36. Maybe split the difference, don't want to give up front traction.
-BD
Just remember that the manual only references OEM tires. Switch to a different tire and all bets are off. Even then the OEM recommendation is based on the average load with the average rider with the average road (rinse and repeat).

And that average rider is some skinny little Japanese dude apparently, judging from my headlight aim when the bike was delivered. <_<

42/42 with Avons here, (260# solo rider, with fuel cell). More with Conti's. Every tire has it's own specs.

Two up with gear, up the pressure.

Hmmmm...

I seem to recall reading that most Japanese bikes are designed and set up with a 5'-8" tall, 160 to 170 lb rider in mind. Forget where tho... was a long time ago (when I weighed 170!).

Last edited by a moderator: