Volcano Ride 2010

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blufjr

blufjr
Reaction score
:clapping: :clapping: [SIZE=18pt]Volcano Ride 2010 :yahoo: :yahoo: [/SIZE]https://maps.google.com/maps/mm?ie=UTF8&hl=en&ll=45.642216,-122.631642&spn=0.106333,0.21183&z=12

[SIZE=12pt]Sept 25th, 11:30am - 1:30pm: Meet at Windy Ridge for lunch. BYOL.[/SIZE]

No Registration, No Shirts, No Swag, No Lodging, No Dinner, No Cat in the Hat, just plain old fun meeting up with old and new friends, and the ride to and from.

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//<iframe width=

Bring you own lunch, drinks etc. Ride your own ride/pace and enjoy one of the most spectacular motorcycle rides and scenery in the State of Washington. Note: the roads are a little bumpy and it requires intense observation. :dntknw: Riding around the bad spots will increase the enjoyment.

See you there.

FJR_at_Mt_St_Helens_10_06.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Assuming I've got the last of my dams done for the Dam Tour (since this is the last weekend before it's over) I could make it.

OK Ken, I'll bite! I sure hope to be there. It will be great to meet you again and everybody else who makes it.

it can't be as bad as the road to the Lost Coast (Matole Road) can it?
R
Can't answer that, haven't done that road. Lots better then Alderpoint road from Garberville to Zenia, or Co. Rd. A16. Those were just too bumpy for the FJR. You can get a full lean on most of the corners, and the road surface is generally smooth, except for the bumps. :glare:

Oooooh man! As a revised ending to our 2 week (and growing) WCR ride vacation, we're planning on being in Portland on Saturday evening 7/18 or on Sun. 7/19, with lodging at Judy's sister's in their RV (comfortable and private and we'll get to eat elk steaks again at least one night). I was planning on staying only a couple days before taking 2 days to head south and home mid week.

And now you post this!! :dribble:

It is really, really tempting to consider extending that expanding vacation a few days to make this ride. I've seen you post this the last few years, and the pics that result -- with great envy. Not sure I can miss this and not feel really bad about it. Besides, my newly GP Suspensioned Gen.I just eats up rough roads now!

Decisions, decisions. :eek:

Should be able to make it...kinda late in the season isn't it Ken? I'm thinking snow could be a definite possibility! ;)

--G

we're planning on being in Portland on Saturday evening 7/18 or on Sun. 7/19,
Decisions, decisions. :eek:
Don't wait, just do the ride. :yahoo: I would join you but I will be in Taos. On the first good day, just announce on this thread or PNW gatherings, that you are going and I'm sure someone will show up. :rolleyes:

I'm assuming you ment 9/18???

Should be able to make it...kinda late in the season isn't it Ken? I'm thinking snow could be a definite possibility! ;)
--G

That's what I was thinking...

We tried it on last week of Sept a couple years back and were turned back by authorities blocking the road due to ice and snow at higher elevs.

Bloody temping, but a long way for me if the road is suddenly closed.

--G

[SIZE=14pt]Hey[/SIZE], be possitive, the 25th is only 4 days after SUMMER. I bet you a dallor, that I have ridden to Windy Ridge every year in October since I started riding. October is one of the best times of the year to ride up there on week ends. It's before the leaves fall and there is less traffic. In addition the LEOs seams to be less interested, most likely they won't care if you don't have a parking pass. All of September is a no brainer. Look for temps in the 60's up on top, but windy of course.

Mellow out, we don't want to hear any more about snow. :mellow: Anyway, if it is snowing, we will just change the date to October something. See, it's all easy.

--G

[SIZE=14pt]Hey[/SIZE], be possitive, the 25th is only 4 days after SUMMER. I bet you a dallor, that I have ridden to Windy Ridge every year in October since I started riding. October is one of the best times of the year to ride up there on week ends. It's before the leaves fall and there is less traffic. In addition the LEOs seams to be less interested, most likely they won't care if you don't have a parking pass. All of September is a no brainer. Look for temps in the 60's up on top, but windy of course.

Mellow out, we don't want to hear any more about snow. :mellow: Anyway, if it is snowing, we will just change the date to October something. See, it's all easy.

Just as long as you aren't changing it because it might look like rain 10 days before the date. ;)

Ok guys, just a little FYI. A friend and I did this ride about 3 weeks ago and the road was BAD!!! Really Bad!!! I'm talking flatten the pipe's on the bottom of my buddies Ducati ST3 bad. Kidney beating, suspension testing, nut busting bumps and dips in the road. In addition, the road to Windy Ridge had a ton of sand on it the last mile or so in. Just be careful is all I'm saying. I won't be riding the road from Carson to Windy Ridge down to Randle until they do something to improve the road.

Just my opinion...

Good information PDX. We bypassed St.Helens on the way to WFO a couple weeks ago and I'm glad we did. The roads are almost always beat up in places depending on the previous winter. Maybe a dual sport ride...

--G