Reasons NOT to purchase Power Commander V ?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eworth

Reaction score
Hey all,

Own an 07 FJR that has the usual jerkiness/surging and decel popping . ( hate that popping)

It is in stock form with no performance modifications.

Other than the cost, for those of you who have purchased and installed the Power Commander, totally worth it?

Other concerns that came up as a result of installing it.?

Really close to making the puchase but I do see some Power Commanders that come up for sale in the classifieds. Why?

One from a person who gave it all kinds of praise and now recently decided to sell.

So.... like to know the goods and bads before calling with my debit card to Fuelmoto and dropping the dough.

Thanks in advance. Looking to hear from those who have one.

Eworth

Decel popping is a function of the emissions control system. It's a normal occurrence.

Last edited by a moderator:
A PC III is one of the best farkles I've made to my bike. I don't know about the PC V, but I can't think of one good reason not to use the PC (some version). It will remove the jerkiness and surging. It will probably lower your gas mileage a bit, but that is the cost of running your bike with the fuel it needs to operate properly, instead of so lean it surges and won't throttle up smoothly.

Will happily give up a bit of mileage to increase my riding pleasure.

I think there is something they also offer , "a map switch" to switch between two separate fuel maps. I'd have one for long rides to better mileage and the other for the majority of fun riding.

A PC III is one of the best farkles I've made to my bike. I don't know about the PC V, but I can't think of one good reason not to use the PC (some version). It will remove the jerkiness and surging. It will probably lower your gas mileage a bit, but that is the cost of running your bike with the fuel it needs to operate properly, instead of so lean it surges and won't throttle up smoothly.

I would be very interested in opinions about this as well. Have gathered from the forum and some on-line research that the Power Commander is the solution for the 2007. I just picked up my FJR about three weeks ago. I gave it a shot trying to develop a throttle technique to minimize the P.I.T.A. throttle response. "That ain't gonna cut it" !! Guess I'm ready to try throwing some money at it as well.... My thought is to go all out and order the PC5 with autotune option from fuelmoto. If it will fix Mama-Yama's blunder I'll do it. Mine is so bad some times that it actually becomes a safety issue in my opinion.

Please y'all, buy the PCIII now. It will fix the problems with the throttle. It made a world of difference on my O-six and there is absolutely no farkle remorse. Find one used if you can, but don't hesitate to drop the cash for new one...serious, DO IT!

If you use the map supplied by Fuel\moto, mileage may not decrease, however, if you richen up the low end, or get close to the "Smoothness" map that others are using, then it likely will. Whatever your preference, it's worth it.

Guys,

I'm liking what I'm hearing. I will monitor all the input everyone has to offer over the weekend. If all the "thumbs up" posts continue, Fuelmoto is getting a call on Monday.

PC V, the PAIR removal and instll the Fuzeblock FZ-1 all at the same time.

Eworth

Same here - I was going to wait on the PCV until spring, but am adding it in the next few weeks. I will be doing the PC8 from Eastern Beaver (check out his wiring harness for the FJR - nice work). The PAIR has been installed, now trying to decide if it is worth the extra dough for the Autotune. Any thoughts on the Autotune out there?

Can't help you (in dissuading you). I have a 2007, and started out with the G2 tube. I found that the bike was somewhat jerky, which I could handle with clutch control on start ups, but it was a bit much when accelerating into a curve from off-throttle. You can adjust but . . .

I then bit the bullet after a few months and put on the PCV. And it absolutely cleaned everything up. Better from starts, better accel from off throttle in curves, smoother accel. from llight throttle, and little or no popping. Second best farkle I've done.

I have a PC III which was on the bike when I bought it a few months ago. Since I never experienced the bike without the "custom dyno tune" and the Power Commander, I can't really comment on how much improvement there is compared to stock. I think the previous owner had it tuned for maximum grunt.

I am, however, going to try hooking up the oxygen sensor and installing a "zero" map which should negate any PC effects; just to see what its like. Some people have mentioned a slight decrease in mileage but I am getting an average of 36 mpg and have to fill up in 200 miles or less. Interestingly enough, mileage is almost the same at 75 mph as it is at 55 mph - must be substantially richened at lower throttle settings.

Depending on the results (mileage and driveability) I may try adding in a little extra fuel at some throttle positions - perhaps one of the "smoothness" maps to see what happens. Gotta get the PC software installed on my netbook so I can do some playing. May end out with two different maps and switch them out depending on what kind of riding I am doing. Otherwise, I may eventually have a PC III for sale.

Ross

If it will fix Mama-Yama's blunder I'll do it. Mine is so bad some times that it actually becomes a safety issue in my opinion.
I don't know if it is Yamaha's blunder as much as it is pressure to meet emissions standards. It seems that most bike reviews I read these days complain about low-end throttle response.

But rest assured, you aren't the only one who thinks it is a safety issue. Placing an on/off switch where the throttle should be is unsettling at best. The PC fixes it.

I have an'08 AE with a PCV and auto tune. The PCV is a much improved unit over a PCIII. The auto tune is a nice option. PCV is pre mapped for '09 and later so it might be off a little when fitted to earlier models. You can get a custom map for your bike or purchase the auto tune and fine tune it yourself.

If it will fix Mama-Yama's blunder I'll do it. Mine is so bad some times that it actually becomes a safety issue in my opinion.
I don't know if it is Yamaha's blunder as much as it is pressure to meet emissions standards. It seems that most bike reviews I read these days complain about low-end throttle response.

But rest assured, you aren't the only one who thinks it is a safety issue. Placing an on/off switch where the throttle should be is unsettling at best. The PC fixes it.
You may be right but there is a big difference between the 07 & 08, in 07 they were still in their learning curve. I have a 07 but got to ride a 08 on the way to NAFO for fifty or so miles, didn't want to give it back to the owner as it was way smother. The owner told me to get the PC put on when I go home, I still think it could be better but it was a big improvement. I would like to try the later version as with the dual maps you could tune one for economy and one for performance.

Guys, I gotta tell you.

Today, I went out to the garage and started tearing into the FJR to eliminate other suggestions I've seen on the list to cure throttle abruptness and popping on decel etc.

This is what I did.:

Removed PAIR system. (to address decel popping) A snap and used NAPA 1/2 and 5/8 bypass rubber caps to seal passages ( with a bit of sealant and plastic ties to be sure)

I also did the throttle return spring unwind. Pretty easy and nice to have the PAIR system out of the way. Throttle grip MUCH better.

Then removed throttle cable free play and lastly, a throttle body sync.

It rides VERY nice and I'm thinking it's hard to justify the Power Commander after how well the mods worked today. (previous G2 throttle tube installed also)

It has addressed my biggest gripes. Couldn't duplicate low speed surging though. Is that a lean issue?

Overall, I'm quite thrilled.. :yahoo:

Eworth

Last edited by a moderator:
Hoping I don't get slammed for all the info people have given. It's greatly appreciated.

Power Commander I'm sure is fantastic for performance and economy issues and others indicate that it's cured other problems that were my concerns as well.

As I mentioned in my other post. Maybe those cheaper alternatives listed above will benefit those experiencing the same problems that were annoying me. And if those don't work, I'm sure Power Commander V will address it for you.

Happy enough to hold off for now based on the work on the FJR today. It's worlds better than previous.

Eworth

Latest posts