Sw-Fog 2011

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big-D

Reaction score
Last year after Don and I discussed possible locations, I started contacting the Kachina Lodge in late December of '09. I believe this enabled us to secure decent rates and the many perks that were included. Hotels, Resorts and such tend to be a little leery with our economy and love to get commitments early and tend to offer the best deals.

As far as Group prices, usually the earlier you try to book or at least make arrangements, they tend to offer better deals and tend to sweeten the pot with little extras (i.e. Free Breakfast, bike wash locale, $$ off drink specials). We that live in the true Southwest try to keep attendance cost down so folks from far-away lands can come and join in without mortgaging their homes.

I like to stay away from contracts, especially contracts that set minimums, because I don't enjoy being burned. That is how rallies get expensive. The Kachina Lodge is so familiar with biker groups, they do very well and don't require organizers to sign their lives away. While many cities and hotels are hurting, Taos (Toas) is doing very well in this other than perfect economy. I would credit their success with cooperation and lack of greediness. Once a destination is decided upon, I'll make calls and start negotiating great rates and perks. Of course until we start making calls, coming up with numbers and hearing what particular hotels can or will offer us, the absolute destination may not be truly known for a while.

Keep in mind, to draw the largest amount of attendees from further away localities, the selected locale is best centrally located to the geographic area trying to draw from. Although the San Diego or Big Bear area is nice, riders from Oklahoma, Missouri, Texas and possibly Colorado may not seek to attend.

I hope this Post reaches many and draws comments from past and possibly future attendees. I would really like anyone that may consider attending next years SW-FOG to provide input and ideas as to location and any other info you might feel is pertinent in making next years SW-FOG even more successful.

Well, ... though I seldom offer my lame-assed opinion on stuff like this ...

Dan, for a bunch of reasons, I think Taos(Toas :D ) would be a great location for next year.

I'd never been to that area of NM, and I found it stunningly beautiful - especially the sky, and the light, and the "feel" of the place.

I didn't have the chance to ride a lot of the roads around there,

but the ones I was lucky enough to travel were absolutely magical.

They flow through those amazing mountains, and because autumn is setting into the high country, the colors were just killer.

If it weren't for the deer hazard at dusk, I'm sure that riding them in late afternoon, (when things get golden) - ...well, it would take your fucking breath away.

The Kachina was cool and sorta funky. It definitely did NOT have that

Best Western feel, but I liked it.

The help, especially at the front desk, was magnifico. (I'd have married April.)

I strolled (walked!) around the immediate area on Sunday

-after all of you bastards had left-

and there were a lot of neat, touristy, little places close by.

And though some may not have much interest in it,

there IS a lot of art to be enjoyed there.

And lots of human art.

That says a lot about the place.

So.

There ya go.

Even though I've no idea if I'll make next year's SWFOG, I loved Taos and that part of New Mexico.

And thank you Dan, (and Papa Chuy) for your efforts.

Thank you very much.

Oh, ....and we shouldn't allow dark-siders.

;)

Done.

Just for the sake of discussion, does anybody know anything about the Cloudcroft/Ruidoso area in southern New Mexico? Is there any good riding down there? Any facilities that could handle a group of ~50? All I know is what I see in Google Earth, but it looks like an area I'd like to see.

I didn't make it this year, but I did do a ride through of Taos, Toas, Tsao, once upon a time. If SWFOG goes back there next year I'mm going to make the extra effort to attend.

Ruidoso area is a neat area that i would consider as well!

But, Toas for the 2nd year would be awesome as well.

Alright, I'm not sure if any of you are familiar with the area, but how about Lake City, Colorado. I know of at least one hotel there that would fit everyone and the riding there rivals that of Toas. Silverton, Gunnison, Teluride, and Durango are all possible day rides and again,the scenery is absolutely gorgeous. Just my 2 cents...If you're all interested I can get the hotel name.

Alright, I'm not sure if any of you are familiar with the area, but how about Lake City, Colorado. I know of at least one hotel there that would fit everyone and the riding there rivals that of Toas. Silverton, Gunnison, Teluride, and Durango are all possible day rides and again,the scenery is absolutely gorgeous. Just my 2 cents...If you're all interested I can get the hotel name.
Go for it, Jarhead! https://www.lakecity.com/index.html In August of 2009, Big-D, I and 10 others (including pinhead and Mountain Mama) toured the area and I had a beer (or 6!) in the Alfred G. Packer Saloon in Lake City, CO. If there's lodging there that can accomodate 75 people patch308, that would make Lake City a perfect location!

Last edited by a moderator:

Dan, for a bunch of reasons, I'd have married April after all of you bastards had left and though some may not have much interest in it,

thank you Dan (and Papa Chuy)

;)

Done.
Yer still feckin' drunk ain't ya? ya silly sand flea fecker ..

Please get your shit together. This Is a respectable joint..

I might add...Don and Dan might buy matching paisley silk thongs so as to really feck up zilla and company next year ;) .

:jester:

Beemerdons, there is one place that I can think of that would hold that many people. They have a restaurant inside, and a great little bakery next door, and the grocery store and gas station are a stone's throw away. The bar, however, is a fair distance away and the place is remenicent of 1970's decor. I stayed there with a couple of friends (buddy lost the breaks on an old Bronco coming DOWN the pass into Lake City from South Fork and we picked up parts in Montrose and Gunnison so we could re-build 'em in the bakery parking lot) last year. It's not the most luxurious hotel, but it has a balcony, a private parking area, and with advanced notice I'll bet they'd lock us all in the same area. I'm going to make a ride out there on my days off the next week or so and I'll get their info for you guys.

EVERYONE ELSE, the hotel isn't spectacular, but the riding IS! If you have a dual sport, you will fit right in. The roads to Cinnamon Pass and Engineer Pass both leave from Lake City and end up over by Silverton. Check it out, let me know what you think, and I'll get back to you guys with the info in a couple weeks.

I'd like to avoid having to wade through that damn 5mph traffic in Toas proper. Those New Mexicans may know how to make a mean green chile, but they need to learn where the feckin' gas pedal is!

Dan, for a bunch of reasons, I'd have married April after all of you bastards had left and though some may not have much interest in it,

thank you Dan (and Papa Chuy)

;)

Done.

I might add...Don and Dan might buy matching paisley silk thongs so as to really feck up zilla and company next year ;) .

Been there, done that and got the T-shirts to match our paisley silk thongs. Bust, you have to get up early to be ahead of we FJR Forum Zonies, damn early!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

No wonder Dolly cheats on your ass.

And, judging by the pics, she ain't too particular.

(Would have loved to see you in Taos, Dickchin.)

Just for the sake of discussion, does anybody know anything about the Cloudcroft/Ruidoso area in southern New Mexico? Is there any good riding down there? Any facilities that could handle a group of ~50? All I know is what I see in Google Earth, but it looks like an area I'd like to see.

My parents had a home in Ruidoso for 20+ years and I have spent a lot of time there. It is a neat place with lots to offer. The big drawback though is that there is not nearly as much good riding area as around Toas. Plus there is a huge biker rally every year in Ruidoso around the same time of year, something to be avoided.

I like Toas a lot but I also like Patch's suggestion of SW Colorado, that is some of the finest riding in the country.

Well, I told Don we should wait to see if I get any responses on my post about next years SW-FOG and looky there. We managed to get that old sheep fuker to crawl out from behind the stove long enough to respond and were blessed with the attention of the Master of Ceremonies Old Michael. Now if only Niehart would add his too cents and then Fairlaner would say something derogatory, all we'd need would be for Patch308 and GalaxyBlue to fart to seal the deal.

Short of having the SW-FOG in Johnnie80's back yard, what would it take to get more of those SoCal forum members to unhook the leashes that bind them and venture beyond the Kalifornia borders east.

Actually, Colorado sounds good, as long as we plan for the weather. And I'd like to ride through Aspen and over Independence Pass.

I'll start doing some research on several locations. Its important to find a place that will lighten our load by offering good prices and accommodations with extras.

But if you are just reading this post, don't think we've already made up our mind. I'd still like to hear what you've got to say about the 2011 SW-FOG ideas for next year.

My parents had a home in Ruidoso for 20+ years and I have spent a lot of time there. It is a neat place with lots to offer. The big drawback though is that there is not nearly as much good riding area as around Toas. Plus there is a huge biker rally every year in Ruidoso around the same time of year, something to be avoided.

I like Toas a lot but I also like Patch's suggestion of SW Colorado, that is some of the finest riding in the country.
I used to go to Ruidoso a lot when I lived in Lubbock. Not bad riding, but nothing like what you have north of there. I agree with flyball. I love Colorado too. As much as I liked Toas and the accomadations, I wouldn't have a problem with Colorado for the next SW-FOG.

GP

I'm still bummed out over having to pull out of the meet at the last minute, since I haven't been to Taos since '05. I plan to go there next year SW-FOG or not, so it has my vote. Looks like the lodge did a bang up job for you folks.

There is good riding around Gunnison, and I stayed there in June '09 when the ST.N group met. The motel situation left a lot to be desired, and the city is really challenged for good places to eat. Doesn't get my vote, even tho' it is closer home.

For what it is worth, the VStrom forum had a big meet in Montrose CO. last June and they got the Holiday Inn. They had a banquet room (food sucked, and I am no snob, spending what seems like half my life eating in truck stops) but the riding is close and good. If you are not needing a banquet place, there looked like several decent motels (I stayed at the Hampton Inn) and lots of places to eat, and there is a Suzuki dealer there who handles other brands. Was a real supporter-- even supplied beer and burgers on the grill for the early arrivals at his shop. I'm pretty sure there is a Yamaha dealer on the east end of Montrose too. I hope to make it back there sometime.

I know there are some great places on west, but I'd sure like it to not go much further west or south than Taos or Montrose for financial reasons. Plus I'm a candy ass rider.