Ebay HID

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

worldbound4now

Reaction score
A few years ago there was an HID thread that caught my attention regarding telescopic HID bulbs for the FJR. These kits were a cheap $110 kit from ebay as described in this thread.

I have been using these telescopic H4 HIDs without issue for the past 3+ years and they impressed me every dark evening I have ridden with them. I have no idea who the manufacturer was of my current kit and don't plan on looking for the brand name until I remove the old kit and install a new kit. The 4300K temperature color rating has been perfect and the telescopic bulb placement with proper aiming of the beam cast has provided a fantastic visibility improvement over the stock bulbs without the dark hole pattern seen with some of the shutter-type Hi/Lo HID kits discussed on this forum.

Alas, my cheap HID solution may finally be failing. Last night when riding home from work, I noticed a flicker type response from one of the bulbs. The right headlight bulb now has a more purple hue instead of the bright white color, and the noted drop in illumination of the right side of the road is quite high. On multiple on/off cycles the bulb seems to ignite properly but will slowly fade to the purple color over approximately 30-40 seconds time. I assume this indicates that the ballast is failing to regulate voltage properly, causing a higher color burn temp. Who knows, but the failure cause is really a moot point. Fully acknowledging that I got what I paid for in 2007, I'm going to replace the old setup entirely instead of trying to chase down replacement parts.

When out hunting around for replacement kits, I considered another cheap ebay kit, DDM Tuning kits, Volt kits, and several others. I finally settled on the DIGITAL brand kit from retrosolutions.com, which is another telescopic HID kit. I like their reported low DOA rate, lifetime warranty on bulbs and ballasts(who knows how easy warranty work will be), and estimated 3500 hour bulb lifespan. They also describe their ballasts as "waterproof, dustproof, and shakeproof and feature instant hot re-strike technology to protect already warm bulbs from excessive damage when restarting." These features are handy for motorcycle use. I also stumbled upon a coupon code "ACCORD" which took 10% off of the purchase price, but shipping pretty much negated this savings. The total price for me was $151.73, which is not the cheapest kit out there, but is by far not the most expensive one either.

When the new kit arrives, I will try to post-up my initial impressions.

For those of you with Gen II motorcycles, I see that retrosolutions also has slim ballasts for around $20 more per kit. On my 2005, I have plenty of places to stuff the more traditional fatter ballasts.

Ride safe everyone,

worldbound4now

Looking around on the Retro-Solutions site I came across this really cool and handy Time Delay Relay. It is basically a standard 5 Pin 30A Relay that has a 10 second delay circuit built into the relay perfect plug and play solution for any FJR with problems of one of the HID lights sometimes not firing...

Worldbound,

Have you noticed any of the corrosion or pitting in the headlamp bucket's reflector just above the HID capsule? I had the start of that problem in the ones I had run for about a year and a half before the headlamps was smashed to smithereens on a little bambi. I have hesitated to reinstall my HIDs, mainly for that reason. I have not seen much further discussion about that on line, but do recall someone raising that issue, which is why I looked at mine.

The corrosion being on the top / upper part of the reflector would affect mainly the lower part of the projected beam, which is the part we really need help in, especially on high beam.

JamesK,

Good find on the Time delay relay. :thumbsup: This will fix the one side not firing up issue on FJRs.

Also much easier for most folks to install than building that circuit that I came up with to do essentially the same thing.

Great info!

After buying a set secondhand that came from the original BMWHD purchase, I'm sold on installing a set in my Ford F150 SCrew. I absolutely love the how they work on the FJR!

I just bought the DDM Tuning kit after having good feedback from the car forum I frequent. I have a set in my Porsche at the moment and thus far they are working well. They are on special right now for $55 for the H4 hi/lo ($35kit +20 for the hi/lo bulb).

I just bought the DDM Tuning kit after having good feedback from the car forum I frequent. I have a set in my Porsche at the moment and thus far they are working well. They are on special right now for $55 for the H4 hi/lo ($35kit +20 for the hi/lo bulb).
I have that same set of the DDM Tuning (actually it's made by ApexCone) installed in the cage. The parts appear to be of generally reasonable quality, however, mine a few weeks after installation started playing an annoying game of intermittently not firing up either one or the other headlight and once both :( . I've double checked all the wiring, connections, etc. and I know it's not a case of insufficient battery power, since the lights are turned on manually by me (tried various waiting periods, etc.) When one of the lights decides to stop firing up, the only way to bring it back to life is unplug and reconnect the plug from the balast (I've already double checked that these connections are solid/good). My guestimate is that it's flaky design issue, but would love to hear other ideas.

So based on my experience I'd certainly opt to buy the Retro-Solutions kit vs the DDM kit.

Last edited by a moderator:
I finally settled on the DIGITAL brand kit from retrosolutions.com, which is another telescopic HID kit.
So, I've had this kit installed for about a week now and love the results. The install was easy. I was able to shorten all the low voltage wires to help remove some clutter. The 4300K color temp. is perfect. I did inspect my reflector and see no pitting or other such degrading of the reflector after several years of 35 watt HID use. My headlights required no re-aiming. The new bulbs seem to sit precisely where the old ones did despite being from different manufacturers. I noticed my old kit had two separate fuses, one for each headlight circuit, whereas the Digital brand kit has one 30A fuse in a non-weatherproof housing. I replaced this housing with a weather-shielded mini-blade type fuse holder found at my local Autozone. I wish I too pictures, but the best part of this install is that the bulb twist-locks into it's native flange, and the flange installs into the headlight housing. It made install a snap. Sorry again for the absence of photographs.

I'm about to order a pair of these. Looks like the price hasn't changed in 4 years. Any update on the company/product? And, did you get the 55W or 35W?

I'm about to order a pair of these. Looks like the price hasn't changed in 4 years. Any update on the company/product? And, did you get the 55W or 35W?
I run HID in all my toys, have since '02 (my 1st set: Osram/Philips and cost about $1K!).

Anyway, on the 35w vs 55w... this is a big controversy on some of my other forums. Most 55w kits (especially the cheap Chinese ones) are 55w in consumption BUT the actual capsule(s) are still 35w. They (Cheap Mfgrs) simply put a dummy load in the ballasts to soak up the 55w. Some will label and market these as error free HID.

Why? Well it's mostly for the Canbus (cars/bikes etc. computer) saying that the circuit is not drawing at/around the 55w. So you would simply get a lamp error message (on your dash). The "easy" way to fool this, is to make the ballasts load up the full 55w. So shoppers/consumers now see and know that the 35w are bright, the 55's must be even more!?. Well, in some cases this may be true, but in most, especially with the China kits, it's just a load (resister block) withing the ballast, or, I see many with an additional pigtail box containing this now.

So shop wise, be careful as there is a lot of BS in this market now.

BTW, you are going to absolutely love the luminance you are about to experience. :)

Fred, I have been running HID's in my headlamp buckets for 7 years now and YES, that upper part of the reflector is severely 'burned' or damaged. I'm assuming from the heat of the bulbs.

I run HID in all my toys, have since '02 (my 1st set: Osram/Philips and cost about $1K!).

Anyway, on the 35w vs 55w... this is a big controversy on some of my other forums. Most 55w kits (especially the cheap Chinese ones) are 55w in consumption BUT the actual capsule(s) are still 35w. They (Cheap Mfgrs) simply put a dummy load in the ballasts to soak up the 55w. Some will label and market these as error free HID.

Why? Well it's mostly for the Canbus (cars/bikes etc. computer) saying that the circuit is not drawing at/around the 55w. So you would simply get a lamp error message (on your dash). The "easy" way to fool this, is to make the ballasts load up the full 55w. So shoppers/consumers now see and know that the 35w are bright, the 55's must be even more!?. Well, in some cases this may be true, but in most, especially with the China kits, it's just a load (resister block) withing the ballast, or, I see many with an additional pigtail box containing this now.

So shop wise, be careful as there is a lot of BS in this market now.

BTW, you are going to absolutely love the luminance you are about to experience.
smile.png
Thanks for this response! I've been hummin' and hawin' about going over to HID on the bike for months now and am really not sure why. I've been using HID's on my SUV for years and wouldn't go any other way. But I've done quite a bit of homework and opinions like those one reads on Candle Power forums can be pretty dissuasive. I have two concerns: reliability and beam projection.

Addressing the last concern first. Funny thing, I purchased my first HID kit from e-bay - Chinese vendor - about 5 years ago. I've not had one issue since installed, and, they are 55W. Now, when I installed these things (in the high beam stalls of a 4 bulb system), I spent a lot of time under the hood and in a garage aiming and comparing these things and one thing was immediately apparent: they do flood due to their focal point being in a different position. This however was great for me as it was what I wanted. I lived in the north where there were tons of moose and I wanted to emulate a train locomotive (and it comes pretty close). I did end up asking for another pair of bulbs from the vendor though since for some stupid reason, my SUV has no azimuth adjustment on the lights and the HID bulbs were very inconsistent in where the focal point was (perhaps it was just a slight angle on the tube with the base). Even with the replacement pair, I had to shim one side.

The other drawback I observed with these lights was the initial start up time after being off more than 10 minutes say was 10 seconds or more. Fortunately, my SUV keeps the low beams on when the brights are on otherwise there would be 10 seconds of darkness everytime I cycled.

So from a functionality standpoint, I've had great success with even cheap HIDs. In the above scenario, I dont have to worry about blinding anyone since when on coming traffic approaches, I shut the HIDs off. However, on the FJ, the bulbs are Bi-Xenon. so even the low beams are HID and in a different focal spot. This concerns me.

My other hesitation is reliability. Ive read all the posts on HIDs on this forum and there always seems to be reliability issues. I have no desire to have to change a ballast buried deep in my faring every month.

Last night I was about to buy and had narrowed it down to two vendors ( i think its okay to post here?). One was 55w the other 35w:

https://www.motorcyclehidlights.com/yamaha-fjr1300-a-hid-lights-c-93_330/digital-hid-kit-slim-ballasts-p-209

and

https://retro-solutions.net/product-list.php?DIGITAL_HID_FOR_MOTORCYCLES-pg1-cid104.html

At the last second I did a search for Philips/Osram HIDs and uncovered this:

https://www.kbcarstuff.com/Motorcycle-Xenon-HID-Conversion-Kits-s/34.htm

It was enough for me to pause and sleep on the issue (after posting the thread you replied to).

Reliability aside, I've been approaching this as "brighter is better" but that article (and your thoughts) change things. And, you can see from the one vendor, their 55w kit is almost 50% brighter than their 35w.

After all of this, what would you recommend?

I have these in my bike. Been in there for 2 years and almost 20k miles. Great bulbs
https://amzn.com/B00393NESK

There is a new option too. There is a Cree LED H4 too. I haven't tried it yet however

https://amzn.com/B00K616TSA
I think "Silent" in San Jose has the cree bulbs. Ironically, Im headed down to his place in a few hours to get my bike from his back yard. Guess I will hold off until I see his.

I've been using cree bulbs in handheld flashlights since they hit the market and have always been impressed. I now use a flashlight the size of a cigar to replace my old 3 million candle power spot light on my boats. Wish I had of invested in LED technology stock a decade ago.