FUEL CELL - 06 - PROTOTYPE

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kaitsdad

I'm confused - Just ask my Wife.
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
NOTE TO ADMIN: I wasn't sure where to post this - if you need to move it, please do so !!

First - the usual disclaimer - no affilliation, no relationship, etc.

I contacted Sampson Touring regarding the request on their website for access to an 06 - and this is the result.

This tank is a prototype - it is unfinished, and I'm posting this to see if there's any interest. Ron Sampson designed this to sit on the Garauld tail rack for the 06, so those of you out there with one of his racks could bolt this tank right up to it - it's designed to be removed quickly (5 minutes) and is gravity fed.

Reference - Garauld's Rack

If there is interest with a potential market, Ron will make these available. I don't know what the cost will be as his development hasn't hit that point yet - and we're still talking about changes, options, fuel caps, fittings, etc.

The tank has a tang on the front that overlays the two front bolts in the tailstock - so it will included the necessary spacers and longer bolts for this. The rear bottom of the tank will have a bracket that bolts up through the rack into the tank.

This particular tank (assuming I did the math right - volume of a trapezoid? ) will yield right around 3.75 gallons (which would yield a total of 10.3 gallons) - but can be easily manufactured to approach the magic 4.4 gallon mark to yield the IBA limit of 11.5. I 'guesstimated' the weight at around 6 pounds - with fittings and powdercoat, it will probably hit in the 8 to 10 range - figure fuel - (6.2# per gallon at 72F times 3.75 = 23.4 pounds) and you're at around 34 pounds - substantially less than most of the Givi's I saw at WFO5 !!

(Ya know, I'm thinking I should trade in my slapstick on one of them new fangled calkulater thingies)

Please post your comments, interest, etc. Samspon Touring is serious about producing this - so your feedback is appreciated.

These are the first pics - I took them this evening on my way home from work. Tank is due to go to powdercoat later this week.

103190216-M.jpg

103190227-M.jpg

103190157-M.jpg

One this tank is finished and mounted, I'll post additional pics. Ron is going to try and match the colorcoat to the bike.

Oh yeah - in addition, Ron Sampson is considering developing a 'underhang' tank, similar to the tanks Ron Major designed for the ST. Comments? (Edited)

EDIT: I had my facts wrong - the taildragger tank design was done by Ron Major.

See Warchild's post below. KD.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh yeah - in addition, Ron is considering developing a 'underhang' tank, similar to the tanks he designed for the ST. Comments?
Yeah... he DIDN"T design the original taildragger unit for the ST1100. :glare:

Ron Major did...way back in the early-mid '90's.

big_rm.jpg

big_tank.jpg

big_rrvt.jpg

big_shut.jpg

Any taildragger arrangement on the FJR1300 isn't going to be gravity-fed. Fuel transfer will have to be electrically-pumped.... and thus have more potential failure points. Fuses could blow, wire harness get pinched/shorted, fuel pump failure, etc, etc.

Oh yeah - in addition, Ron is considering developing a 'underhang' tank, similar to the tanks he designed for the ST. Comments?
Yeah... he DIDN"T design the original taildragger unit for the ST1100. :glare:

Ron Major did...way back in the early-mid '90's.
Dale,

You're absolutely correct - Ron Sampson did tell me that the ST tank was designed by Ron Major, and I apologise. I had the facts wrong. I'll edit my post to correct the inaccuracy. :guiltysmiley:

Hal

Hal, I will be interested to see what this looks like mounted up on your bike. :clapping:

Personally, I would not mount up a fuel cell that far back on my bike, but that's just me. You may find the weights ok hanging out back there, so please let me know how it feels. When rally season kicks in and the Cal24 for instance snakes you down some hairy twisties, late at night maybe, this will be where you'll find out if the weight is an issue for you or not.

If you look at most fuel cells, they are usually mounted in a forward location, I'm guessing for weight distribution. The other question that comes to mind is how does this location affect carrying capacity? Would you now use a seat mounted bag, or something different? The advantage of being forward is that you can run your Givi, Yammi or Pelican etc, for fast, convenient, weather resistant access.

I can see a lot of work has gone into this and I'm not trying to shoot it down, just thinking out loud.

I am not yet decided on which way to go for a cell, but have something in mind I will be trying soon.

Hal, I will be interested to see what this looks like mounted up on your bike. :clapping:
I'll post pics as soon as I can. I should have it this Friday, will bring it home and install for pics.

Personally, I would not mount up a fuel cell that far back on my bike, but that's just me. You may find the weights ok hanging out back there, so please let me know how it feels. When rally season kicks in and the Cal24 for instance snakes you down some hairy twisties, late at night maybe, this will be where you'll find out if the weight is an issue for you or not.
Very valid considerations, Ian. Logically, being lighter than a loaded Givi, I'm hoping it won't be an issue. I followed Turbo and Bluestreak for several days this past summer, and they did not seem to have any issues with their loaded top cases. However, I'll have to find out by giving it a try.

If you look at most fuel cells, they are usually mounted in a forward location, I'm guessing for weight distribution. The other question that comes to mind is how does this location affect carrying capacity? Would you now use a seat mounted bag, or something different? The advantage of being forward is that you can run your Givi, Yammi or Pelican etc, for fast, convenient, weather resistant access.
Again, stated from a rally veteran's perspective. If you recall, I used a MotoFizz seat bag during the summer - with almost nothing attached to the rack so in my mindset, it seemed to be a valid mounting position.

All good stuff. Thanks for the input, Ian.

Ouch! Anyway.
I guess this is for LD like Iron Butt and the like?
Ouch! is right. :black eye:

And yes, aux fuel tanks are used by IB riders - as well as many other riders to extend range.

Now, if I can just get a 350 mile capacity bladder installed. :blink:

If you recall, I used a MotoFizz seat bag during the summer - with almost nothing attached to the rack so in my mindset, it seemed to be a valid mounting position.
I remember now. ;) Also, you might want to make sure that when your bag is fully loaded on the passenger seat, that you can actually reach the lever on the cell to turn on the gas.

If you recall, I used a MotoFizz seat bag during the summer - with almost nothing attached to the rack so in my mindset, it seemed to be a valid mounting position.
I remember now. ;) Also, you might want to make sure that when your bag is fully loaded on the passenger seat, that you can actually reach the lever on the cell to turn on the gas.
:lol:

Yep ! I've got something in mind for that.

Here are some general design concepts for aux cell placement for a gravity-fed system on my LD bike. This info may (or may not) be useful for others who are considering a similar type of system.

CBR1100XX Blackbird - 4.7 Gallon Aux Fuel Cell

DESIGN_CONCEPT.jpg

It doesn't look like it will fit Garauld's rack if you have the one with the integrated backrest mount. Has this been checked? He has made a rack with an angled tab raised up that allows his backrest to bolt to it. It looks as if the raised tab/mount portion may interfere with the forward side of the fuel cell.

for me, not being a ldr person (yet), i'd love the extra fuel for wfo runs that suck down fuel...

the tank pictured is beautiful, and does match the racks shape... tho, to me, the important thing is that you found a succesfull way to mount the tank, and i'd imagine a square/rectangular shape is more cost efficient to produce...

the weight issue (fuel, camping gear, clothes, food, tools are still lighter than a pillion ;) ) is secondary to locating 3-4+ gallons away from an initial impact point...

that said, i'd pay more for a pilion seat replacment fuel cell/tank...

thanks to those involved in producing these solutions...

dana

Please post your comments, interest, etc. Samspon Touring is serious about producing this - so your feedback is appreciated.
Add one to the interested column. This project was on my winter list, but if someone can produce a quality unit that is highly functional, I'd be all over it.

Deal killer would be if rack mounted...top case is a must for distance travelling.

Cell mounted over the passenger seat is the first *easy* option. Option two is taildragger.

The ultimate would be something a la Tanji with the ability to put the GIVI mount on it. Top case for travelling and removed for rally mode.

PTP

Deal killer would be if rack mounted...top case is a must for distance travelling.
Concur!

That works! Are the details available in another thread on the forum? I don't see details on your webpage.

Obvious questions -

Cell Capacity? Mfgr? Custom mounting rack or from cell mfgr? Cell wrap by Linda T.?

How much road grime/water/crap find its way under the rack? It's a little tough to see if the sides of the rack are closed up.

I have to do something for fuel this winter and that set up appears to meet the criteria.

PTP