I Mounted A Frankentank

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dirttracker30

Reaction score
Here are the pics of the BIGASS tank mounted on the bike,with the badges and the spin on gas cap mounted also. I think I will run it to Daytona the color it is ,to see if there are any suprise bubbles in the paint,or other issues. I couldn't really roll the bike outside for some real good shots ,because of the cold and snow that blew through yesterday. Enjoy.
IMG_0882.jpg
IMG_0883.jpg
IMG_0884.jpg
IMG_0885.jpg
IMG_0886.jpg
IMG_0887.jpg

Very nice. If I wasn't so very familiar with the look of the FJR with a factory tank on it I would never know it had been modified.

Very nice. If I wasn't so very familiar with the look of the FJR with a factory tank on it I would never know it had been modified.
Amen to that! :clapping:

Now that it's mounted on the bike, be sure and let us know the volume when you fill it.

IIRC, you posted some volume figures but it may "fill" differently mounted (angle, etc.).

Nicely done. That would make it a bit too top heavy for me - I wish the cg was a bit lower since I'm only 5-8 and have to use my tippy toes at stops.
Hey Garauld, I'm shorter than you @ 5-5,you ,so we will see. That is one reason I split the tank right below the widest part. So I could gain the most volume(cubic inches) @ the lowest point possible, even though the rear add on ,and the hump being raised will raise the COG. But what is another 9 or 10 lbs. up top when 90% of my riding is straight down the interstate.It should still be way lower COG than a 4 gal box sitting where the passenger would sit. Different strokes for diff. folks . If I can run this tank from full to empty, i think that will be far enough for me before taking a break. Next will be throwing the tank bag on to see if I can see the speedo over it!

Last edited by a moderator:
Amen to that! :clapping:

Now that it's mounted on the bike, be sure and let us know the volume when you fill it.

IIRC, you posted some volume figures but it may "fill" differently mounted (angle, etc.).
Madmike I will keep you informed. I have a little rewiring to do for my Garmin Zumo before I can put the tank on permanently. Hopefully by next weekend I can fill it up,but I think it will be a 2 gal gain,even with the tilt of the tank and the fuel pump in.8.5x42mph average @ road speed should give me a 350+ range if I stretch the fuel,which means I could go from Iowa City Ia to Indy In without gassing up. That would be plenty!

Nicely done. That would make it a bit too top heavy for me - I wish the cg was a bit lower since I'm only 5-8 and have to use my tippy toes at stops.
Hey Garauld, I'm shorter than you @ 5-5,you ,so we will see. That is one reason I split the tank right below the widest part. So I could gain the most volume(cubic inches) @ the lowest point possible, even though the rear add on ,and the hump being raised will raise the COG. But what is another 9 or 10 lbs. up top when 90% of my riding is straight down the interstate.It should still be way lower COG than a 4 gal box sitting where the passenger would sit. Different strokes for diff. folks . If I can run this tank from full to empty, i think that will be far enough for me before taking a break. Next will be throwing the tank bag on to see if I can see the speedo over it!
I don't think it will make a noticeable difference. You and Garuld both have mad skilz, I'm very envious. The tank looks absolutely drop dead beautiful - you should be very proud of your work.

I agree, it looks OEM.

You performed this MOD on a Gen-II '06?

I have a Gen-I '05.

One of the things I have done to mitigate heat being captured under the tank on the Gen I, is I added a 1/2" spacer below the forward tank mount bolts, which raised the tank up.

Seemed to help with airflow and drafted more air out from below.

...just an additional thought, this might help more heat dispersion (if needed)?

Beautiful job! :clapping:

Last edited by a moderator: