Strange noise in the driveline

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seventyss

Reaction score
While running the bike in 1st gear at idle on the center stand I noticed an irregular popping sound pretty close to the shifter adjustment rod. I tried increasing rpm but can't hear it over the sound of the engine. Thoughts?

Meebee just driveline slack ? You could try lightly dragging the back brake to see if it goes away. Side note- whenever I run the bike in gear on the centerstand the ABS light comes on [as it should].

Thoughts?
Those goofy Japanese engineers! They built an Easter Egg into the FJR!

While most people think that it's not a natural thing to play throttle games while on the centerstand and quite content the bike is quiet while riding normal down the road with a load on it--you've actually discovered the first stage to to a hidden secret only a few FJR owners know.

With clutch in hand turn the throttle halfway in first gear as you've done. Leave at that level for 3 minutes. 2 minutes in second at 3/4 throttle, 22 seconds in third with 1/3 throttle (this one is a tight window....get a stopwatch and watch those RPM) , another minute in 4th at 1/4 throttle, and then 3 straight minutes in 5th gear at full throttle! Don't worry about it bouncing off the rev limiter...keep that throttle pinned!

Not only will the popping sound go away, but the odometer will start scrolling through 111111, 222222, 333333, etc.; the lights flash intermittently; and finally pair of Pokemon dolls will launch from the exhaust pipes at a great velocity. Put some cardboard up or you might dent the garage door.

Shhh...don't tell anybody else. I have my pair of Pikachus proudly displayed in the garage. Skooters are even cooler looking since he has an '04 and it was the Palkia character. Nobody has gotten the dolls out of '09 or '10 as far as I know....maybe you can post pics and we can trade!

Pikachu2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Ummm, there are valid reasons to run a bike in gear while on the centerstand. Most people understand that it is easier to lube the FJR's chain while doing this..Also great fun to rev 'er up and roll it off the stand..

See, now, when I first read this topic's headline I thought it said "strange noise in the driveway."

Figured he must'a had a buddy come over for a visit on a Harley.

...sounds like a cogged belt that's missing some teeth
I thought cogged belts were silent ?

(where do you find cog-belts with missing teeth, anyway?)

Maybe they make noise, too, when revved-up on the center-stand...? :unsure:

Last edited by a moderator:
[Master of the Obvious]

Why would you ever need / want to run your bike in gear on the center stand?

[/Master of the Obvious]

I think you're just lucky we will have forgotten about this thread by Friday. ;)

Well, this went well, huh?

Trying to think seriously, my only concern would be the health of the u-joint at the front of the drive shaft. That's right there by the shift lever.

But as the first respondant says, there is a lot of lash in the drive line, and you may just be hearing it bounce back and forth on the gear faces. With it unloaded, idling in first, the engine speed is not steady, and when it drops, the rear wheel will actually overtake the gearbox speed, like the wheel driving the gearbox, then the engine comes back up and the wheel goes back to being driven.

If you don't think there's that much slop, just get on the bike, not running, in first gear, and roll it back and forth. The amount of motion is the amount of drive line slop.

Just to clarify, I was running the bike on the center stand while calibrating my Power Commander V. I haven't noticed any unusual sounds while riding the bike so I will hope for a good Friday. Thanks to all who shared their thoughts, some were quite entertaining :wacko:

..Also great fun to rev 'er up and roll it off the stand..
I pulled this stunt a while back using my kids Honda Elite scooter. The resulting wheelie left a #275 man sitting on his ass in the middle of the grudge watching in horror as a runaway scooter headed straight towards the real (read that expensive) motorcycles parked in the corner. Thankfully no MC's were injured and there is no video.

Just behind the gear shifter is the middle gear that turns the power output through 90 degrees to turn the final drive.

The middle gear shaft on my FJR gave up at 76000 miles and even though there is no way this should happen at this mileage Yamahs support couldn't give a damm as it is out of warranty. If you are worried, drain the oil and remove the cover, check the large gears and see if the large nut is tight, mine was loose as fuck and only held on by the tab washer. If you think these engines will be good for high mileages think again.

If you think these engines will be good for high mileages think again.
Your are right. This is a Big concern...since we have been on this Forum for almost a half a Decade, we have only heard about 1 and possibly the 2nd one was posted by a hypercondriac.... now I am getting nervous and hope the Gov't looks into this.

Excuse me, I have to go back and work on my Pinto & Vega for the engines have to be replaced after 25k miles... those were the Gold Standard of Quality.

"If you think these engines will be good for high mileages think again."

Wow, there's the real Friday fodder. ;)
Oh, give him a break, guys. It's like his third post. But, maybe he followed Iggy's step-by-step instructions...

Excuse me, I have to go back and work on my Pinto & Vega for the engines have to be replaced after 25k miles... those were the Gold Standard of Quality.
Wow, there's the real Friday fodder. ;)
Oh, give him a break, guys. It's like his third post. But, maybe he followed Iggy's step-by-step instructions...
Damn, guys, give the fella a break, would ya? I mean, he IS practically a Welshman, for Crispy's sake. :blum: