Valentine 1 remote mounting

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRAE

Reaction score
I'd like to mount my V1 remotely and use the smaller concealed display unit on the brake m/cyl reservoir. I'd really appreciate any info or better yet photos of your install (did a search so I know a few guys have V1s, but couldn't find posts about the install).

Although I am concerned about the exposure to heat, vibration and the occasional Florida summer monsoon, any one know of an enclosure to help deal with this issue?

I could just mount the main unit on the reservoir but would prefer the tidier look of the c.d. unit.

Pictures of any radar install setup would be much appreciated too as it may be something I hadn't thought of myself.

Thanks

I'd like to mount my V1 remotely and use the smaller concealed display unit on the brake m/cyl reservoir. I'd really appreciate any info or better yet photos of your install (did a search so I know a few guys have V1s, but couldn't find posts about the install).

Although I am concerned about the exposure to heat, vibration and the occasional Florida summer monsoon, any one know of an enclosure to help deal with this issue?

I could just mount the main unit on the reservoir but would prefer the tidier look of the c.d. unit.

Pictures of any radar install setup would be much appreciated too as it may be something I hadn't thought of myself.

Thanks
While not a bike, there are links to parts sources as well as installation info that might help.

https://www.bikes-n-spikes.org/sti/v1/v1.html

And

https://www.bikes-n-spikes.org/sti/v1-r-display/v1-r-display.html

with the bike using a lot of the same ideas but up on the shelf. if it rains, i pull it and move it to the tank bag.

shelf02.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the reply Bounce, though I've got the hard-wiring taken care of (the V1 comes with the necessary wiring) I located the console 12v outlet connector behind the l/f turn signal and soldered in right there, then routed the wire up along the right handlebar.

While certainly not remote, I had my V1 mounted on an N-Line dash. The advantage was being able to easily take it off if the weather got bad, or if I was riding in a state where radar detectors are illegal. Yes, you can just turn it off, but I liked having it gone so there was no question of being questioned by a cop. Also, since I park the bike in downtown Chicago once and awhile, being able to lock it away is nice.

IMG_0181.jpg

Thanks for the pic TriggerT, that dash setup is an interesting option, I'll keep that one in mind. How's the rear sensitivity? Any noticeable difference over a traditional car install? (I'm not worried about losing laser detection functionality, all that does is tell me that I've just been tagged, too late to do anything about it really)

I have mine on a magnetic Ram mount that goes on the right brake reservoir. The audio adapter is Velcro on top of the res.

If you look to th left you'll see the radar mount and audio adapt.

100_0638.jpg

Like Trigger said, I like being able to R&R it quickly, and like being able to see the arrows. For rain I either put it away, or use zip lock bags and rubber bands(works good).

Thanks for the pic TriggerT, that dash setup is an interesting option, I'll keep that one in mind. How's the rear sensitivity? Any noticeable difference over a traditional car install? (I'm not worried about losing laser detection functionality, all that does is tell me that I've just been tagged, too late to do anything about it really)

Mine is on the dash also. Doesn't affect the rear sensativity at all. It also puts it in a place that is easy to see the display as to where the threat is coming from. Especially handy when there is more than one. Although, I usually see them long before they ever turn the radar.

I should add that I use a J&M audio system, which provides power to the V1 and gives audio alerts through the sound system to my helmet.

So that mount bolts to the reservoir and then has the magnetic base to secure the V1? Yeah, I want to be able to take it off quickly too for security and weather plus being able to swap it back into my truck on the rare occasions that I drive it.

I did find this cover that might interest you though: https://www.spoiledbiker.com/product772.html

Thanks for the pic!

I use the dual lock on the bottom of mine to secure it. If you stick anything on the bottom of the V1, make sure you don't cover up, or otherwise damage the serial number. If the serial number is gone, or damaged, good luck getting Valentine to do any work on it for you.

Thanks

Ive learned you can do just anything you want with the V1 and its parts.. Ive torn up all the parts and installed them on my bike. Whatever you dream up I can tell you how to do it. Ive probably got the most over-done V1 install ever.... :lol: I dont have the install pictures on this computer but I will post them back here tonight. If you have any questions just PM me... or shoot me your real Email and I will send you a lot of pictures.... You can have what you want, no problem.... ;)

I've seen a very slick refabbing of the concealed display unit where they made it even smaller, rearranged where the jack was at to make it mount between the tach and speedo nicely, added a remote wire and mute button, and weatherproofed it by epoxying everything. It was LDRydr's setup where he stashed the detector in his tank bag. We e-mailed the dude that did it for like $80, but never heard back.....they don't seem to do them anymore.

I think it's beyond my soldering skills and personal dexterity with meat paws, but hope to find a source again.

Most other cases I've seen they tend to just keep them under the windshield area and tend to stay dry enough...except in frog stranglers. Then they power them down and wait for them to dry out.

Your mount looks like what I'm looking for Garauld, I'll take a look at No one's setup when he posts pics just to see another option before ordering one from you, thanks fir the heads up!

Update on the cover at spoiled biker website ; they don't have anymore on hand and stopped making them
mad.gif

Here you guys go.. They are really not in a any order. I will describe above the pictures... If you have any questions I will be happy to help anyone if I can.. Just Email me or PM... This has been installed for just over two years.

This is the volume control that I made. Its also a toggle switch for the manual power on and off. There is a small button below that that will control between "A" [lower] "L" and [upper] "L" I just change this on the fly if im rolling though a town..

Volumecontrol1.jpg

Front of V1 in the case.

V1closeup.jpg

This is my display when your riding the bike.

V1center.jpg

Both in the picture.

V1boxrear.jpg

Before I had it all done this is what the power switch and the adjuster button looked like.

Powerandsensitivityadjustment.jpg

Took one of the V1 boards and took off this adjuster (its off the board). You still need the board, I just lengthened the wires and hid the board under the panels. I took this center part and installed it into this (next picture) Keep in mind that NO V1 parts are water proof AT ALL... Moisture will kill it.. Anything you do, water is your enemy.. Seal everything up extra good.. I used some black epoxy and silicone.

Oneboard.jpg

I built this to hold the V1 parts that I stripped off the factory board. I then installed it here (next picture)

Adjoffbike.jpg

This is what it looks like now... This is your volume control off the factory stand alone system. I can do everything with my left hand. Works awesome.

Volumecontrol2.jpg

Front dash 'on'

headsup.jpg

Water proof box I built up. Its up side down getting ready to go on the bike when I installed it..

box.jpg

One more angle.

Dash.jpg

Front of V1, front of box...

V1box.jpg

If you have any questions just let me know.. I built mine to work just like the factory one. But of course I dont want to get the V1 wet. I wanted the front display so I could easily see what what going on. And I have all the stand alone controls on my left hand to control the whole ball of wax... There is one thing I dont have a picture of. I have a stereo jack on the left hand side I hook up my head phones too.. So I can hear all the V1 beeps to tell me whats going on... Works great!!

As one of the other guys has said, you can hide the V1 and wire up any way you want. Ill be happy to help if ya like, just let me know. Thanks ! ! ! !

Nice fab skills No one! Appreciate the pics. I think I'm either going with just a mount on the reservoir for the main unit or the concealed unit . Where are you guys stashing the main unit? I've put an alarm unit under the driver seat, there might be more room aft, wondering if the fuel tank would degrade the reception though?

I'm guessing that you fabbed up that dash plate and made template first? Velcroed in place?