Old Wild Bill's highway mounting plates and pegs

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Terry

Reaction score
Old Wild Bill and I are still making and selling the FJR highway mounting plates and pegs. It has been slow the past 2 years but we are not giving up. Please e-mail [email protected] and I will send you information, pics and pricing. Terry

3022607pegblkrubberinlaymeasurement.jpg

4picmountingplatesscrewsspacers.jpg

1022607ribbedmeas26.jpg

PICofleftmountpegnotextFJR.jpg

PICOFRIGHTMOUNTEDpegnotextFJR.jpg

Terry,

I already have a set of your mounting plates and pegs that I purchased from another Forum member, but what did you do to the stator cover in the pics? People want to know.

Bob

I ride with a pair of these road pegs, and let me tell ya'----they're great! They really make a difference on those long rides.

Howard

I ride with a pair of these road pegs, and let me tell ya'----they're great! They really make a difference on those long rides.

Howard
I too have a set and when you are slabbing along not only can you stretch your legs, it puts them out in the breeze away from the heat of the engine. They are by far one of the best farkles I added for long rides.

Networkguy,

They are bolt on simple. I think it took me about ten minutes.

Howard
I too have a set and when you are slabbing along not only can you stretch your legs, it puts them out in the breeze away from the heat of the engine. They are by far one of the best farkles I added for long rides.

Networkguy,

They are bolt on simple. I think it took me about ten minutes.
Thanks. Gonna order some.

I have them and agree with the leg-stretching and the getting-your-legs-out-in-the-breeze-and-away-from-the-heat comments. I would add, with the edge of the fairing coming to a fairly sharp corner, I find it hard to put my foot comfortably on the pegs as configured (edge of fairing presses against my calf). Solved that with a Kuryakyn offset extension between the plate and the peg. Moves the peg a bit farther away and out a bit more from the bike. Nice combination. Maybe even could add something like that to your line, Terry?

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone have any issues scrapping these in the corners? That's my worry, as I would love a pair of these with my long legs

Anyone have any issues scrapping these in the corners? That's my worry, as I would love a pair of these with my long legs
Issues? No.

Do they ever touch down in the corners? Lots of times, but it's a non-issue.

Like Mike, I also use one of the Kuryakyn extensions with a set of Kuryakyn iso pegs. I'd have to check, but I think this puts the end of the pegs out about 7 inches from the mounting bracket. And many a time I've forgotten to put them back up when the road starts twisting, and so a couple of safety tips.

• If you use peg extenders (and you really need them on the Gen 1 bikes), make sure you get the kind that hinges as close to the mounting bracket as possible. Don't need no stinking hard point sticking out in the breeze waiting to leverage the bike off its wheels.

• Set them up so they "self retract". This is essential. You are human; you will forget they're down. I have mine so that the peg hinge angles back about 30 degrees or so. This forces the peg to retract safely, should it touch ever touch down.

One cool side benefit is that they can then operate as a useful "lean angle" gauge. Besides, the nice bevel ground on the peg tip gives the bike added character. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I have Kuryakin offsets with pegs and have never scraped, but I must mention that I never scraped pegs before getting the highway pegs. It is a concern for me too. Here are some pics to help you decide. Keep in mind the bike is on the center stand which raises the rear end and therefore makes the rider pegs look a little higher than normal.

064.jpg

065.jpg

066.jpg

073.jpg

Here is a pic of me on the dragon and you can get a reference of the pegs and the ground.

TheDragon2010.jpg

The mounting plate appears to get pretty close to the oil filter. Does the plate need to be removed when changing the oil filter?

Seriously thinking of getting a set of these as long as it does not cause extra work for maintenance.

Hey guys, thanks a lot for posting your pics and reviews!

Dang, pretty sure I would scrape those pegs, and I think I would need the extenders to make them worthwhile too, I'm 6'2. I'm very aggressive and have scraped the mid-pipe on my exhaust, and given that it is very smooth, it still was pretty unnerving, worse than foot pegs. I don't want to think about what could happen if I dig in a corner of the highway pegs.

I've been interested in these for years, but haven't bitten because of a lingering worry of breaking engine delicates or breaking off bolts in a drop or low speed dump.

Not that I do that or plan to, but a low probability high risk event isn't appealing. I used to have a Connie and had some MurphsKits highway bars that actually ADDED protection and would bend without applying excessive torque to delicate engine parts if you dropped the bike.

So what is the consensus? Would an impact cause the highway bars to break off bolts in the holes or cause other engine/engine cover damage?