Brand of brakes

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When it's time to replace break pads, what brand do you use/suggest?

Thanks
When I have to replace my brake pads I plan on going with OEM. I've heard some of the aftermarkets will eat rotors. OEM are pricey but they last a long time. 25K on my bike and still have alot of material left

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there a good website where I can get the OEM and when you say OEM, does it mean that Yamaha makes the pads?

When it's time to replace break pads, what brand do you use/suggest?

Thanks
When I have to replace my brake pads I plan on going with OEM. I've heard some of the aftermarkets will eat rotors. OEM are pricey but they last a long time. 25K on my bike and still have alot of material left

Well, they either make them, or (more likely) they have them made under exclusive contract, and they aren't available except thru Yamaha.

But they are also quite proud of them, and for your 2nd gen you'll lay out some serious cash for them.

The one brand of pads that seems to get some decent reviews, are considerably less expensive (like 1/2 the price) and should not eat your rotors are EBC HH pads. (the HH compound is important, other EBC pads do eat the rotors.)

I went with OEM on my 1st gen, but I only have 2 pairs of front pads. I believe that you have 4 fronts and 2 rears due to the linked braking on 2nd gens

edit:

You need 4 pairs of 3P6-W0045-00-00 pads for your front end. TYpically, Zannotti's has the best prices on OE parts, and they want $42 per pair, so your looking at $168 worth of brake pads for just the front end.

edit - HEY, CLICK THE ABOVE LINK FOR OEM BREAK (sic) PADS AT LOW PRICE

Yeah, online. See my edit to prior post.

I did a little more searching and what you would want from EBC is the FA423/4HH. It appears that they are no cheaper than the OEM. In that case I'd go with Zanotti's OEM.

I do want to say 100% with OEM; therefore, do I need to get them from a dealer or can I purchase OEM pads online?

Yeah, online. See my edit to prior post.

I did a little more searching and what you would want from EBC is the FA423/4HH. It appears that they are no cheaper than the OEM. In that case I'd go with Zanotti's OEM.

I guess I was too subtle with that same link in post #4? :huh:

Went back and made it more obvious. ;)

Another option for purchasing Yamaha parts is Cycle Parts Warehouse. Just received a shipment today with a new cam chain tensioner and other miscellaneous parts. Some of the confusion might be the term OEM, as in Original Equipment Manufacturer = Yamaha.

For the slight difference in aftermarket brake pad pricing, I will stick with Genuine Yamaha!

--G

Is it difficult to replace the brakes? Is this something that I can do at home, or should I can the bike to a dealer? Is there a PDF or some video that I can review to ensure I can/want to do the work myself?

Is it difficult to replace the brakes? Is this something that I can do at home, or should I can the bike to a dealer? Is there a PDF or some video that I can review to ensure I can/want to do the work myself?
Difficult? No. Should you do it yourself? That depends on you and your tools. Since you're asking I'd have to assume that this is something you've never done before, and in all probability you aren't equipped with a great set of tools. Take a look at this procedure and see what you think for yourself: Clicky

Note. that write up was for a first gen, but the second gen pad change is somewhat similar. As mentioned earlier, you have twice as many pads in the front of your 2nd gen, but the changing process should be pretty similar.

If you do decide that you'd like to tackle the job, this may be a good time to get ahold of the Factory Service Manual for your year bike. Unfortunately, there are no aftermarket alternatives, so you'll have to go with the Yamaha factory manual. Available at your favorite Yamaha parts purveyor (including on-line).

I believe that part number for your 2nd gen manual is LIT-11616-19-83 (Google is your friend)

+1 to what Fred said. You do need needle nose pliers, an open an end wrench, hex wrenches, metric sockets and in a perfect world a torque wrench. The OEM tool kit does come with a basic set of tools which can do the job and also has a wrench for the front axle but I much prefer a more robust tool. The most important tool is actually a book, the FSM.

Now may be the time to haul out the grill, stock some fizzy beverages and invite a/some local FJR owners over for a pad party. There is simply no better way to learn how to do something than have someone that is experienced help you the first time.

Other parts which may be replaced when replacing pads?

Shims on the back side of the pads next to pistons?

Springy thing which presses against the edge of the pads?

Clips on each end of the pad pin?

All due respect for FredW, in reference to post #4, but after going through 2 sets of EBC HH pads on my '04 in under 12,000 miles...yeah, you read that correctly -- TWO SETS IN UNDER 12,000 MILES -- I will never let EBC brake pads darken my door or drain my wallet EVER again.

Stick with OEM. My original, factory pads lasted 48,000 miles. Just turned 60,000 and put on my 2nd set of OEMs after going through two sets of EBC pads. The HH pads, as FredW said, don't eat up the rotors, like the sintered EBCs will, but since they're made of margarine, the don't last fer shit! :)

Stay with OEM-Yamaha pads. I can remove the pads on my Gen 1 without tools (did this yesterday on the left side only), although tools can help a lot if there is a little resistance. In the past I have used a pointy tool to remove the clips and a par of pliers to pull the pin. If you loosen the caliper bolts you can wiggle them back and forth a little to increase the gap between the pads and rotor. the pads will just pull out the top.

Lesson learned on the Gen 1 is to rotate the pads as the left inside pad will wear over twice as fast as the left outside and 4x faster than the right units. I have 129,000 and have gone thru two sets of OEM (1st and 3rd) I went with a group buy and purchased some Lorrane (?) units that didn't perform any better than the OEM' s and made the wheel all dirty as well as only lasted 35,000 miles. The bike is due for new pads at this time. If I had rotated the pads, i would have gotten at least 75,000 out of one set. Like tires, brake pads last different miles for different riders.

All due respect for FredW, in reference to post #4, but after going through 2 sets of EBC HH pads on my '04 in under 12,000 miles...yeah, you read that correctly -- TWO SETS IN UNDER 12,000 MILES -- I will never let EBC brake pads darken my door or drain my wallet EVER again.

Stick with OEM. My original, factory pads lasted 48,000 miles. Just turned 60,000 and put on my 2nd set of OEMs after going through two sets of EBC pads. The HH pads, as FredW said, don't eat up the rotors, like the sintered EBCs will, but since they're made of margarine, the don't last fer shit! :)
Has been my experience over 4 bikes with EBC pads. I have never gotten more than 15,000 out of them. I wore a set out in 10,000 on the back of my LT.

They work great and are rotor friendly but evaporate like water.

From what I see reported on OEM pad life, I will be using them as long as I own the FJR.