Show me your RAM Mounts

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrM0t0

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
On my YZF600r, I've installed a RAM ball in the capped mirror mount screw of the clutch perch for my hard-wired Nuvi 500. That tells me where to go.

On the right bar the brake reservoir is held on to the forward face of the triple tree by a bracket, to which I've mounted a small angled RAM ball just by sharing the reservoir bracket screw. I have an iPhone mount there that I use to run an app called GPS MotionX. This app tells me where I've been. It's sort of a poor man's Spot device, but has more functions. I'm able to send periodic waypoints automatically to family and friends, my wife in particular, to keep them apprised of my whereabouts when I'm out solo. Say what you will about ball and chain jokes etc, but a happy wife makes a happier home. It also records your trips and you can share your routes on Google maps or Google Earth with other riders. It's cheap and fun.

So I need two Ram mount points. The FJR is such a leaner, cleaner design that I'm having troubling finding good atachment points without drilling and tapping into the triple tree. So far I've installed the RAM brake reservoir single ball mount, but I've always thought that it looked a little klunky. I'm looking for something more appropriate and complimentary to the design of the FJR

Can anyone provide suggestions, with a pic included hopefully, on how they've accomplished this?

sheepom75.jpg

critters3.jpg

Ram mounts and ram as asked..

The left side mirror hole will take a RAM ball, and the reservoir plate you have works fine, seems to me. They make it with a center ball, and with an offset-to-one-side ball.

RAM-mountmirrorhole.jpg

There's also at least one, maybe two or three stem nut replacements that incorporate a RAM ball

Last edited by a moderator:
Sucks to be you, huh? :p

I coulda seen that in the box on the left, just didn't bother. Sorry.

There's still the stem nut, but I can't recall where they come from. Techmount comes to mind . . .

Here's a pic I found somewhere once in another thread:

IMG_0420.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Sucks to be you, huh? :p

I coulda seen that in the box on the left, just didn't bother. Sorry.

There's still the stem nut, but I can't recall where they come from. Techmount comes to mind . . .

Here's a pic I found somewhere once in another thread:

IMG_0420.jpg
I think that's how I'm going to go.

I have three balls. ;)

In the photo below, the water bottle is on one screwed into the unused left mirror mount. The unused ball is in the unused right mirror mount. I had to retap that one since it has reverse threads. Took all of about two minutes. I was too lazy to be a good do-bee and drill and then retap. I just stuck the tap in there and cranked away. It hasn't been a problem.

The stem nut ball that holds the zumo is from Techmount, but it's not a standard product and you won't find it on the web site (at least, it wasn't there when I looked). Since I had an extra RAM ball laying around from a previous bike, I just called them up and asked if they'd drill and tap one of their stem nuts for me. They said, "No problem!" and had it in the mail to me the same day. I forget how much they charged me for that. It was somewhere between $30 and $35 including shipping.

waterbottle2.jpg

the Helibars have two threaded holes already tapped, ready for RAM balls to be screwed in.

I have the left reservoir mount with the short arm. Works great and doesn't stick up too far and look gaudy.

039.jpg

0302.jpg

I also have a stem mount by techmount which I think looks far better and matches the bike better, but it is more money.

033.jpg

O my gosh. Why get a stem nut mount when you can have a genuine Ram Bone? <<-- that right there is a link

2881507940105030702S600x600Q85.jpg

I sold my threaded ram ball nut and also a Techmount stem mount when the Ram Bone was first offered. Yes, it works as good as it looks. ;)

The center mount is very nice. I dont care to have the gps that low nor moving around when I turn the bars. I had them mounted on clutch mounts but have since taken them off (still visible below). Now I've put 2 (3 ram Mounts total) on a shelf. Great spot for them.

9e105b6e.jpg

I would very much like to change-over to a high mount for the GPS, up above the instruments. After running around with the GPS in that psoition on my Vstrom, I see the added safety and utility of having the screen up higher. But I have a 1st gen and run 100% of the time with a Rifle tuning block (same as windshield spacers) installed. This tips the 'shield way back in the lowest position. I do not see how there would possibly be enough clearance for a shelf and (as of now) there are no other high mount systems available.

Latest posts