Mounting a GPS (or whatever) on an FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kurtfriedrich

Reaction score
Took me a while to figure this out from scanning threads, so I thought I'd paste it in one place.

The FJR (at least the 08) has what looks like a mirror mounting hole on the clutch level assembly. Its plugged with a pop out (not threaded) black rubber lid. RAM sells a ball that screws right in there, and then you can mount whatever you want there. I mounted a Garmin Nuvi 1450, so the 4th item on this list needs to be changed to something that mates with whatever you have.

RAM-B-349U RAM BASE W/ M10 X 1.25 PITCH & 1" BALL $10.91

RAM-B-201U UNPKD RAM DOUBLE SOCKET ARM FOR 1" BALL $13.88

RAM-B-238U UNPKD RAM 2 7/16" X 1 5/16" BASE W/ BALL$6.76

For my Garmin ...

RAM-HOL-GA35U UNPKD RAM HOLDER GARMIN NUVI 1490 $10.44

Kurt

I did that once too. Ended up being really and inconvenient place to look all the time. Ended up putting it in the middle of the bars. Using the heli triple clamp it has a threaded are in the middle. Works good.

Just do what this guy did and you will have everything you need. Don't forget the nitrous switch!
FJR_Cockpit_8-8.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Just do what this guy did and you will have everything you need. Don't forget the nitrous switch!
FJR_Cockpit_8-8.jpg

I dont even have the words to describe this.

I just ordered the new Cortech Dryver tank bag with the GPS pocket/bracket that mounts on the front of the bag. Im excited to see how this works out.

FJR_Cockpit_8-8.jpg

I dont even have the words to describe this.

I just ordered the new Cortech Dryver tank bag with the GPS pocket/bracket that mounts on the front of the bag. Im excited to see how this works out.
Co FJR...I have gone the same route with the Dryver bag. Just getting the wiring set up now. Hopefully I can get a couple of pics posted tomorrow. I love this new tank bag. I don't get how anyone can sell a tank bag that is not waterproof. Here in Florida, the storms pop up so fast, I don't want to be hassled with digging out a rain cover for the tank bag. I took a chance and bought the larger one. Fits fine and I love all the space inside the bag. Cortech really got this one right. The lid of the bag has a magnetic latch on the back, closest to the rider. When the weather is good, you can leave the bag unzipped and easily open and close it. Weather turns bad, just close the zippers and you are set. No need to pull over. I'm also loving the quick release from the tank. Now I take the bag off and stow it in the trunk while at work. Fuel stops are easier as well.

I made a couple of changes with the GPS bag. I was able to mount a RAM GPS cradle for my Nuvi inside the bag. I bolted the cradle directly to the back plate of the bag. When the weather is good, I can run with the bag open so I'm not looking at the screen through the clear plastic. This also meant that I did not have to use any of the foam padding, so the Nuvi gets plenty of air circulation around the unit. I also flipped the GPS bag upside down, so that when unzipped, the cover lays flat on top of the tank bag. You can even tuck it under the map holder. Pretty clean solution. When the rain starts, just zip the bag closed. Once again, no need to pull over.

I suspect this will become a popular bag with our group, if it holds up. Construction seems very good though, so I'm hopeful.

Good luck!

Clutch mount for me, I don't find it inconvenient at all.

This point of view is much lower than my actual eye line to it; I set the camera on the top case to keep it steady. From where I sit, the GPS is just to the left of the tach in my field of view.

Viewfromtopboxzoomed.jpg

Back when that mirror-hole ball was announced it became scarce very quickly. Mine may have been the first delivered to an FJR back when the thread was running here that it was available.

I too, noticed that threaded hole, but since I had already mounted my Zumo 550 to the Techmount bolted to the forward tank mount bolts, I got similar Ram parts and mounted my Spot Messenger there. Fo looking at one of the pictures posted above, someone else did the same thing.

Ian

I didn't even notice that spot for the mirror mount ball! I have had one of those sitting in a box for a long time, got it for my 2000 Concours.

Are these threaded holes on the Gen III's as well?
There is one on my 2014 "AS", I'd expect there to be one on all Gen III's. (Click on image for larger view )

Currently I use this to mount my Tomtom and my heated vest controller/voltmeter.

Ok great I found it! Looks like it's only on the clutch reservoir on the left side and not the brake reservoir, right side. I ended up sharing my helibar's center mount between a Powerlet plug and an 11mm RAM mount base used with an arm extender and X-grip for my phone to use as GPS. Pictures coming soon.